Rangers v Hearts

9 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Scoreboard reaction, imo.

It's not a 'strong mentality' if Haring doesn't do something daft for no reason. It's an overhit corner and a 1-0 defeat which sees them booed off the park and called bottling cowards.

Sometimes things land in your lap. Rangers were shite today, but they caught a massive break. That's fitba.

I think both can be true. And Haring did do something daft that lead to us getting back into the game so it’s not really hypothetical.

I think it takes a strong mentality for a player to confidently score a penalty in the 90th minute having already missed one earlier in the match and then go on to put the winning goal on a plate.

Just now, AJF said:

I think both can be true. And Haring did do something daft that lead to us getting back into the game so it’s not really hypothetical.

I think it takes a strong mentality for a player to confidently score a penalty in the 90th minute having already missed one earlier in the match and then go on to put the winning goal on a plate.

Statistically he's unlikely to miss twice.

It's like creating hee haw and then hitting one straight at the keeper from 40 yards that he spills into the net and saying "We found a way".

Technically true, but the reality is you played shite, created next to nothing, and got a break. Happens sometimes.

As I said, if Haring doesn't make a c**t of it (or if Hearts get the free-kick before the corner), Rangers are booed off and there's no talk of a strong mentality. They came out after Celtic had dropped points and played timidly at home against a side in poor form. Haring has papered over the cracks for you here.

6 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Statistically he's unlikely to miss twice.

It's like creating hee haw and then hitting one straight at the keeper from 40 yards that he spills into the net and saying "We found a way".

Technically true, but the reality is you played shite, created next to nothing, and got a break. Happens sometimes.

As I said, if Haring doesn't make a c**t of it (or if Hearts get the free-kick before the corner), Rangers are booed off and there's no talk of a strong mentality. They came out after Celtic had dropped points and played timidly at home against a side in poor form. Haring has papered over the cracks for you here.

I already said we were unconvincing in my initial post, I haven’t disagreed that we were poor which seems to be a theme of your replies to me.

I simply think scoring two injury time goals to win a match shows some mental resilience.

8 hours ago, AJF said:

It’s always amusing when the “it’s a foul but it wouldn’t have been given at the other end” argument comes out. Two clear penalties 😂

How many times do you see Goldson grappling and pulling shirts at corners?

Happens at every corner, never once seen a penalty against Rangers at ibrix for it.

9 hours ago, AJF said:

Very unconvincing again but strong mentality to score twice to win it late on.

It’s always amusing when the “it’s a foul but it wouldn’t have been given at the other end” argument comes out. Two clear penalties 😂

I dont doubt that you showed resilience yesterday, and I think the Haring one was probably a pen.

However, there is something that puzzles other fans.

Unless I am wrong, the last league penalty Rangers conceded was in January 2022.

Oddly, you do seem to concede penalties in European competition (4 last season alone) so its unsurprising that people suggest that there is something going on in the domestic game.

All other clubs regularly concede penalties, even those that finished third and first place last year conceded over 20 between them.....................

Its not just a statistical anomaly, there are incidents that can be pinpointed where Rangers players commit offences in the box that are simply not penalised.

Thats not moonhowler Celtic bams saying this, its ALL fans.

9 hours ago, AJF said:

Very unconvincing again but strong mentality to score twice to win it late on.

Spoken with such assurance by the Old Grim who miraculously never seem to concede such "clear" penalties....

9 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

If John Beaton was competent we'd have had a free kick at the other end at 1-0, rather than badly defending a corner.

If he doesn't see it he can't give it. And remember he didn't see the shirt pull either so without VAR, you'd have got away with that. 

If Haring doesn't pull Goldson's top it's an overhit corner and no penalty. These things will always be pulled up with VAR, players only have themselves to blame when they get caught

7 minutes ago, FK1Bairn said:

If he doesn't see it he can't give it. And remember he didn't see the shirt pull either so without VAR, you'd have got away with that. 

If Haring doesn't pull Goldson's top it's an overhit corner and no penalty. These things will always be pulled up with VAR, players only have themselves to blame when they get caught

Neither ref nor linesman seeing a two-handed shove in the back in a bit of a beamer for the officials.

At Dens or Rugby Park we'd have got that free-kick and probably won 1-0.

12 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Is that right? 😀

It sounds ridiculous, but I suppose with Rangers it's plausible.

It gets worse when you dig into it -

They conceded

2 in season 19/20

0 in season 20/21

3 in season 21/22

0 in season 22/23

0 so far in 23/24

Hearts have conceded 3 this season already.

It simply cant be a statistical anomaly, esp when you look at the Celtic numbers (who also spend a hell of a lot of time in the opposition box as well) !

Edited by Leith Green
stupidly forgot this season.....where the number is obviously zero !!

1 hour ago, Empty It said:

How many times do you see Goldson grappling and pulling shirts at corners?

Happens at every corner, never once seen a penalty against Rangers at ibrix for it.

There is grappling at most corners, but I can’t think off the top of my head many incidents involving Goldson where there was as blatant a shirt pull as the Haring incident yesterday. I’m not saying there hasn’t been, just I can’t recall it.

46 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I dont doubt that you showed resilience yesterday, and I think the Haring one was probably a pen.

However, there is something that puzzles other fans.

Unless I am wrong, the last league penalty Rangers conceded was in January 2022.

Oddly, you do seem to concede penalties in European competition (4 last season alone) so its unsurprising that people suggest that there is something going on in the domestic game.

All other clubs regularly concede penalties, even those that finished third and first place last year conceded over 20 between them.....................

Its not just a statistical anomaly, there are incidents that can be pinpointed where Rangers players commit offences in the box that are simply not penalised.

Thats not moonhowler Celtic bams saying this, it’s ALL fans.

I agree it is an anomaly, and I have explained in the past why I believe referees are more likely to penalise the away side compared to Rangers in various incidents.

I also feel there is a lot of cherry picking as well though. It is reserved for home games only and penalties we have conceded at home in domestic cup competitions seem to be just disregarded. I’d also argue that conceding a penalty in a cup fixture has a larger impact on a teams performance in that competition compared to a 38 game league campaign.

Again though, that is not excusing the anomaly, but highlighting that other incidents are just ignored cos “that was a cup game!”.

And even having said all that, none of it changes the fact that it was two clear penalties yesterday.

1 minute ago, Leith Green said:

It gets worse when you dig into it -

They conceded

2 in season 19/20

0 in season 20/21

3 in season 21/22

0 in season 22/23

Hearts have conceded 3 this season already.

It simply cant be a statistical anomaly, esp when you look at the Celtic numbers (who also spend a hell of a lot of time in the opposition box as well) !

I suppose they must just be such good clean players.

I assume this fair play continues into matches refereed by foreign officials in UEFA competitions?

On a serious level, how the f**k does any team concede no penalties in the VAR era? As we've seen yesterday, they're being given out like sweeties for short tugs, handballs etc.

2 minutes ago, AJF said:

There is grappling at most corners, but I can’t think off the top of my head many incidents involving Goldson where there was as blatant a shirt pull as the Haring incident yesterday. I’m not saying there hasn’t been, just I can’t recall it.

I agree it is an anomaly, and I have explained in the past why I believe referees are more likely to penalise the away side compared to Rangers in various incidents.

I also feel there is a lot of cherry picking as well though. It is reserved for home games only and penalties we have conceded at home in domestic cup competitions seem to be just disregarded. I’d also argue that conceding a penalty in a cup fixture has a larger impact on a teams performance in that competition compared to a 38 game league campaign.

Again though, that is not excusing the anomaly, but highlighting that other incidents are just ignored cos “that was a cup game!”.

And even having said all that, none of it changes the fact that it was two clear penalties yesterday.

Anomaly 😂

Just now, VincentGuerin said:

Anomaly 😂

Do you object to Leith Green using the same term? Or just me cos I’m a Rangers fan.

Do you appreciate that anomaly perfectly explains what these complaints are about, regardless of the underlying reason?