Airdrie v Dundee United 7.45 on Halloween

35 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Have to say the Airdrie TV effort is one of the best in division. Clear, steady picture and decent commentary. 

That Todorov seems to be the littlest hobo of Scottish Football. How many clubs is he on now?

I turned on the DUTV commentary for the last ten minutes. Well, 'commentary' is doing a lot of heavy lifting. The guy doesn't say anything for 20-30 seconds at a time, occasionally whispers to himself and screams stuff like "good challenge" out of nowhere!

Oh, haud on, the co-commentator just said something for the first time in at least five minutes.

Edited by ArabFC

50 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

Airdrie pressing us really well and getting the better of the midfield since Docherty went off. Would prefer Grimshaw in there than Tilson, who I'm already mentally preparing to forget ever played for us in a Craig Slater/Grant Gillespie sort of way.

Had to google that one. Clearly I've forgotten more comprehensively than you.

If I had one real criticism/complaint from Friday night it's that, with the chances he had on the night, Fotheringham should have gotten himself at least one more goal. Very pleased to see him improve on that front.

The overall team performance was a bit of a comedown from Friday night, but it's another win. Also futher reminders that Walton is quite good above and beyond the "Isn't-Birighitti" metric.

Edited by captainkev

We didn’t play great but took our chances and once second went in we saw it out very comfortably to be honest. Walton was good, Sibbald second half was excellent and Kai took his goals well. Everyone else put a shift in and it was job done.  Moult well rested for Saturday is a bonus.  Hoping Docherty isn’t out for long.

Tough one for Airdrie tonight. I thought it was pretty even until the first goal and we were then the better team between the goals but that doesn’t count for anything unfortunately. Dundee United are clearly a better team, with players who are that bit sharper and stronger, so you can’t gift them soft goals and expect to pick up points. The second goal killed things a bit, with the game playing out like a less extreme version of the game at Tannadice after that, but a lot more positives for Airdrie than the last few games. 

Airdrie looked very different from the Tannadice game: correct me if you disagree. Put simply, they looked a footballing side at Tannadice, while tonight it was a battling performance they presented. 

From the United perspective, as others have said, Sibbald carried the side to a win after Docherty's early departure (was it brought about by a naughty challenge?). I might have preferred Freeman coming on and moving Grimshaw to midfield, but have to say Tillson had his best game for United, which wouldn't be hard. Docherty has an influence over the team, to my mind, beyond his simple footballing ability, and without him on the pitch, some of the players didn't look as confident. I'll quote Gallagher as an example, who seemed to try to dive in to challenges, hoping to get in front of his player rather than cover his position tonight.

But what do I know? Just happy to get another win, although both goals came from Airdie errors.

I got the Airdrie zero correct and United did not give us the heavy defeat I'd been worried about after their recent scoring bouts.

The first period was really dominated by United and although the opening goal was a bit careless from our defence it was merited.

I felt we improved for a while and McGregor had two good attempts and I thought the second was going in from the goalies block.

At half time I thought we were in it but that careless error led to the killer second goal.  United simply game managed it so calmly and we never looked like getting back in. 

I also agree that Sibbald was very good and with the experience and squad size United have then it's their league title to squander.

On Airdrieonians it's another learning experience and I hope we get the good rather than the careless.