St Mirren v Hibs 08/11/23

9 minutes ago, SS77 said:

Anyone that doesn’t think Baccus is one of our best players watches football with their eyes closed.

Agreed. We are fortunate to have him playing for us.

However there are some of our fans who were extremely critical of players brought to our club and were highly critical. 

On 09/07/2023 at 08:28, SS77 said:

It’s pretty simple to me - if Hemming is our number one then we’ll be 11th or 12th. He is awful at everything bar his distribution and I think Robinson will be desperate to bring in a real keeper and have Zach on the bench if we can’t resolve the Carson issue.

On 25/06/2023 at 07:53, SS77 said:

Zach Hemming is pish.

Touché 😜 

We weren't great, but I didn't think Hibs were especially good either. There wasn't a great deal of quality in the game, especially first half.

The second half was more entertaining, if not too high on quality still.

I think in the end a draw was probably a fair result.

Absolutely delighted for young Jamieson to get his first goal and it was really well taken too.

As an opposition fan, Youan is such an annoying player to play against. Every first touch comes off his shin or his ankle, as if he's never seen a football before and he's given possession away, but he somehow still always comes away with the ball. He just has that knack of every touch he takes, no matter how bad it looks, works for him.

44 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

As an opposition fan, Youan is such an annoying player to play against. Every first touch comes off his shin or his ankle, as if he's never seen a football before and he's given possession away, but he somehow still always comes away with the ball. He just has that knack of every touch he takes, no matter how bad it looks, works for him.

Well apart from in 90+2 mins when he did give it away with a terrible touch that lead to the goal. 

Hibs seemed to set up well, very fast high press and a spreading it wide to drag our 3 around with Jair / Youan fairly high on both sides to pin back Tanser and Strain. I felt Hibs didn't really create all that much for all their good play - the two goals are well taken but come from Gogic miscontrolling it and and Taylor rushing out and getting turned. Also thought it was very strange that when Hibs went ahead, they sort of shut up shop instead of keeping the pressure on, which helped us get a foothold back into the game.

I thought we were pretty poor until the changes late on, but the fact the side kept going and got a point out of it late on, makes it feel a good result. If you have a poor day and still get a point out of it...

12 hours ago, iceblink said:

Just wonder how they conjure up how much injury time to play. The var decision must have taken 2 minutes, and the substitutes 3. Don't know how many times the physios were on, but in the world cup there would have been 10 minutes extra time and not 5 in that hame, especially given Marshall's time wasting for the entire 90. Our officials are not only incompetent, they also appear to put in as few minutes as possible for the ridiculous amounts of money they earn.

Even in domestic games we've seen these much longer times added.

In the second half we had:

• Three VAR delays
  • SEVEN substitutes, with the Hibs subs taking 'baby steps' when going off.
  • Three injuries
  • Two goals (before the additional time was calculated)
  • Goalkeeper warned repeatedly (but not booked?!) for time wasting.
  • General time wasting taking throws, free kicks etc

Last night I thought an absolute minimum would have been 8 minutes, but was thinking 10 would have been about right.

Which if Hibs were playing Rangers or Celtic and were 2-1 up, there would have been.

3 hours ago, Molotov said:

Agreed. We are fortunate to have him playing for us.

However there are some of our fans who were extremely critical of players brought to our club and were highly critical. 

Touché 😜 

I said on Twitter I was delighted to be wrong on that one mate!

Hemming’s been great and credit to him for putting a few shockers last season behind him. I thought his save from Campbell after the dodgy pass from Gogic was one of his best yet  

23 minutes ago, SS77 said:

I said on Twitter I was delighted to be wrong on that one mate!

Hemming’s been great and credit to him for putting a few shockers last season behind him. I thought his save from Campbell after the dodgy pass from Gogic was one of his best yet  

Sorry don’t follow twitter. Or X or Facebook or such like.

I’ve been on Saints forums since the mid 90s. That’s about as much “social media” as my auld brain can handle 😂 

Thing is though. Any mistake’s goalkeepers make get immense scrutiny. I’ve said before that Zach will make mistakes - but we as supporters need to back him like other outfield players who have a poor game or run of form. 

Since Jamie became a coach we have seen a huge improvement in the consistency and quality of our goalkeepers. 

Late 70s we bought a very young Billy Thomson and had Campbell Money as his deputy. We did alright then! Zach could be the first goalkeeper since then to lead us back into Europe!

I just wish he was our player under a long contract. 

Hope you never thought I was having a go at you as it was not my intention. COYS

2 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Hope you never thought I was having a go at you as it was not my intention. COYS

Not at all bud. 

I’d like to think we’ve asked Middlesbrough about signing him permanently but with him only just signing a 3 year deal there I reckon there’s little chance of that happening.

4 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Ever since Baccus signed, right back at the start, we've been a better side with him in it. Absolutely nuts that people don't rate him.

4 hours ago, SS77 said:

Anyone that doesn’t think Baccus is one of our best players watches football with their eyes closed.

Whilst I absolutely agree wholeheartedly with both of the above statements, I won't have it that he was good when he came on last night. He was caught in possession a number of times because he dwelled on the ball far too long. He also gave away a few unnecessary fouls. That said I agree he is (usually) a very important player for us. 

30 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Sorry don’t follow twitter. Or X or Facebook or such like.

I’ve been on Saints forums since the mid 90s. That’s about as much “social media” as my auld brain can handle 😂 

Thing is though. Any mistake’s goalkeepers make get immense scrutiny. I’ve said before that Zach will make mistakes - but we as supporters need to back him like other outfield players who have a poor game or run of form. 

Since Jamie became a coach we have seen a huge improvement in the consistency and quality of our goalkeepers. 

Late 70s we bought a very young Billy Thomson and had Campbell Money as his deputy. We did alright then! Zach could be the first goalkeeper since then to lead us back into Europe!

I just wish he was our player under a long contract. 

I think the point about Langfield is spot on. Since he came to the club all our goalies have really benefited from working with him. Ask Hladky and Alnwick, both now doing great work in the English championship. Also Carson was in the best form of his life while well into his 30s. 

23 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

Well the booing never disappointed last night.

Draw fair result.  We are bottom 6 pish this season, last night confirmed that for me.

I am surprised by Hibs this season. On paper you have some quality players. You just seem to lack the right balance. 

2 minutes ago, AW saint said:

I am surprised by Hibs this season. On paper you have some quality players. You just seem to lack the right balance. 

Agree mate.  Pure jumble sale.  Our better players can get us out the shit from time to time but the consistent is the poor defence and lack of any depth. 

Some interesting opinions on this thread about Baccus. 

I remember seeing his first few appearances for us in pre-season matches and was immensely impressed by his skill, his attitude and commitment, but most of all his fitness - what an engine this boy displayed.

I'm not convinced that I'm still seeing such intensity from him in recent games.

I hope this is just a blip as I still rate him highly.

8 hours ago, SS77 said:

Absolutely.

I like Boyd-Munce, but he's a different type of player from Baccus.

For me Baccus, should be a first pick every time, as he combines a bit of dig combined with classy play.

Having said that, he didn't track Newell back for the second goal.

Loved Jamieson hitting his blocked shot with his left peg, then his strike for the goal with his right. :thumsup2

6 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

Even in domestic games we've seen these much longer times added.

In the second half we had:

• Three VAR delays
  • SEVEN substitutes, with the Hibs subs taking 'baby steps' when going off.
  • Three injuries
  • Two goals (before the additional time was calculated)
  • Goalkeeper warned repeatedly (but not booked?!) for time wasting.
  • General time wasting taking throws, free kicks etc

Last night I thought an absolute minimum would have been 8 minutes, but was thinking 10 would have been about right.

Which if Hibs were playing Rangers or Celtic and were 2-1 up, there would have been.

He was not warned at any point (that I can remember) which is why he continued.