Pars vs Rovers Part IV - Box Office

Cardle is Magic

Fully understand the Rovers fans enjoying the win but to go after Todd and KRH seems a bit odd?

Neither player started as they were being rested for the Arbroath and QP games. Both were out for several months and last week was their first start. Their introduction also led to our only decent spell of the entire match.

2 hours ago, RR #1 said:

Seem to remember various pars fans on here at start of season telling us that donkey they have in goals was far better than big Kev. 

Nobody's better than that lovely fucker 😍 Enjoyed his antics on the highlights. Michael Stewart greetin' about him giving it tight to the taker - does he whine when penalty scorers give the goalkeepers shit on the way to celebrating? Doubt it. Fanny. Not often goalkeepers get to celebrate like outfield players. 

Glad Raith fans are enjoying Big Kev. Brilliant 'keeper and a lovely guy. 

7 hours ago, LiviLion said:

"Picks the ball up on the edge of the box" - just as the replay shows him getting the ball at just about the halfway line.

Amazes me that Michael Stewart continues to get jobs as a co-commentator, he must offer to do it for free

I was a stones throw from him last night.

Alas, there were no stones available to prove my point.

5 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Fully understand the Rovers fans enjoying the win but to go after Todd and KRH seems a bit odd?

Neither player started as they were being rested for the Arbroath and QP games. Both were out for several months and last week was their first start. Their introduction also led to our only decent spell of the entire match.

I will say that KRH certainly looked like a possibly bothersome player once he gets up to speed, however the RaithTV crew where having a wee bit of fun with the “he always turns outside” comments…of course he then always did. Is he related to Zanatta?

17 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I will say that KRH certainly looked like a possibly bothersome player once he gets up to speed, however the RaithTV crew where having a wee bit of fun with the “he always turns outside” comments…of course he then always did. Is he related to Zanatta?

Agreed. I thought Ritchie-Hosler looked a bit of a threat when he came on, although Todd seemed fairly anonymous. 

Moffat is the only player I'd have from that Dunfermline team. 

I like the way he just wants to run at players and feel he'd compliment our plethora of exciting forwards. 

Is he on a season long loan or just until January? Be nice if we could convince Blackpool to let him play in the bright side of Fife. 

Fair play to Raith last night, thoroughly deserved the win. Forward minded players like Easton, Hamilton, Stanton, Vaughan were very good last night. Even without the likes of Byrne and Euan Murray we didn’t land a glove.

It was a completely gutless performance from our point of view, even the guys who’ll give you a steady 7/10 week in week out were miles off it. We looked brighter when Otoo moved into the middle, I thought KRH was decent when he came on and gave the left back something to think about but unfortunately the issue was they were playing with another 7/8 shi*ebags. Unfortunately neither him nor Todd look anywhere near match fit and will probably take a while for them to be up to speed. Before anyone starts, I’m sure yous think they’re sh*te, but when they play we tend to play better.

Easy to say the Scottish Cup is a bonus and the league is our main priority but the way we went about it last night was poor. We can now focus on the league but it’s a hard one to take after how much better we looked than say six weeks ago, but last night looked every way as bad as the 3-0 loss at Firhill, if not worse.

We really lacked organisation last night, and that’s one of the more frustrating things because it’s what we were very good at last season and early on this season. Without Bene and even Breen were a shambles at the back. The sooner they’re back the better, should allow Otoo and Hamilton to play in the middle. Mehmet looked like he was playing with action man sized hands for the Vaughan goal. 

Huge week now for us. Home to Arbroath on Tuesday night then home to Queens Park next Saturday. Unfortunately a minimum of six points required here or that very small minority calling for change will get very loud.

Edited by The Toun Clock

In the games so far, I think McPake has had the upper hand tactically, but largely by default. With the players each manager has at their disposal, McPake's usual 3-5-2 versus Murray's usual 4-2-3-1 (or similar) has led to huge amounts of time and space for Edwards and Comrie to get forward, with little risk of anyone getting in behind them. It was particularly apparent in the last game at Stark's with Murray's inverted wingers - it was only when Dylan Easton came on late in the game that the Pars suddenly had to worry about going backwards in their own channels. Despite that slender tactically advantage, there's more quality in the Rovers squad and that has been the difference in two very tight games. 

Last night, Murray (having had his hand forced by Liam Dick's late absence) made a huge call tactically and McPake completely failed to handle it. In the opening period, as you'd expect with a 3-6-1, the Rovers were dominating the middle of the park, but there were huge swathes of space on the wings. Connolly and Callum Smith were set for a long, long night having to cover essentially the entire length of the park on either side. 

When the goal goes in, McPake panics. It's as simple as that. At that point, the Rovers had all the middle but were vulnerable out wide. Nothing had come of it yet, but if the Pars were going to get anything, that's where it was going to come from. You've got two unfamiliar centre halfs (one who's been with the club a handful of days, the other a right back), protected by two non-defenders. McPake essentially chooses not to exploit that when he switches to the back four. He's giving the Pars a better chance in the midfield battle, but in doing so he negates the one real avenue they have to create something. 

What was shaping up to be a real end-to-end clash then becomes bogged down in the middle, but the Rovers are already 1-0 up. And if we've learned anything from the derbies so far this season, it's that when these games are tight, the Rovers have that clinical edge to grind out goals which the Pars don't have. 

During games, I often wonder how interesting it would be if you could stop the game and run down to the dugouts to ask a manager, "What's your route to goal here? If you score in the next ten minutes, how is going to happen?". How would McPake have answered that at any point after he switched his formation last night. Owen Moffat beats four men by himself and sticks it in the top corner? He nearly did it once but it's hardly a sustainable strategy. Waiting for Willie Collum to give a penalty for nothing nearly paid off, but that's not exactly total football. 

I don't mean to take anything away from Ian Murray or the Rovers. It was an incredibly bold decision to go with that formation, but McPake really played into Murray's hands. Aidan Connolly managed to play basically the whole game as a winger. Callum Smith did the same until Kane Ritchie-Hosler came on. But that formation doesn't work without an incredible amount of hard work, and a lot of quality. Everyone in that Rovers side did the job asked of them, and more, and for a lot of them it's a job that's completely unfamiliar to them. 

To be that dominant in a derby with such a cobbled together defence is a huge achievement, and I think you really start to see the gulf in quality between the sides. The Pars need to get their tactics right, they need players to show up and perform, and they need a good slice of luck to be in with a shout. When Murray gets his tactics right, and the players buy into it, it's a walk in the park. 

13 hours ago, DAFC. said:

That penalty save was unreal. And that just sums it all up for us. 

Tbf, why is the goalie even intimating anything after it? Yous are wining 3-0. Show a bit of humility ffs. 

Winning 3-0 away to your derby rivals and your man is after humility. You’d all have been doing the same. Get it round you. 

9 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Matty Todd has brought it on himself bud , he lit the touch paper in July 😂😂,  both are decent young players and my pars supporting pal ( acquaintance really😉) raves about Todd but I haven’t seen much from him but then again I usually only see you lot 4 times a year, in the game in July I didn’t think he did much except the celebration, McCann impressed more

Cup ties don't really get much better than that. 

Took me some time to figure out what formation we were actually playing. A masterstroke from  Murray, although what was unexpected was Craig Cairns' comments that Murray had mentioned the 3-6-1 last season. Clearly it's been something that we've had in the repertoire for some time, just waiting for enough of our defenders being injured to utilise it. Clearly it caught Dunfermline by surprise and they didn't really know what to do about it, hence somewhat hastily throwing Otoo into midfield to try and combat it. 

The tactics themselves are only one component: a number of players excelled despite being out of position. A particular shout out to Callum Smith in that regard, who put in a fantastic shift in an unfamiliar position. 

Sensational. Now if we could get a run of Cup draws like Falkirk and Caley got last season, that would be grand...

1 hour ago, Been going too long said:

Matty Todd has brought it on himself bud , he lit the touch paper in July 😂😂,  both are decent young players and my pars supporting pal ( acquaintance really😉) raves about Todd but I haven’t seen much from him but then again I usually only see you lot 4 times a year, in the game in July I didn’t think he did much except the celebration, McCann impressed more

I’m not believing you’re still beelin about Todd doing the shhh in a League Cup group game 🤣