Euro 2024 Draw (Saturday 2nd December 5pm)

Hendricks

I think most groups would be difficult. We could have got a much harder group but the odds of the 'easiest' group were very low, so pretty happy with who we got.

Euro 96 was the last time we played Switzerland competitively. In fact we haven't played them at all since a 1-3 loss in a friendly in March 2006 at Celtic Park. Overall we've played them 16 times, W8, D3, L5.

We haven't ever played Hungary in a competitive game! Last time we played them was in 2018 in Hungary when Matt Phillips scored in a 0-1 win. Overall we've played them 9 times and W3, D2, L4.

Last game against Germany was 2015, a Euro 2016 qualifier at Hampden which we lost 2-3 (Gundogan OG and James McArthur for us). In total we've played then 17 times and W4, D5, L8. Last win was a friendly in 1999 in Bremen where Don Hutchison scored the only goal.

Edited by DA Baracus

Opening the tournament against the hosts is the stuff of dreams. Can’t wait.

I’m mulling over whether to try and get tickets or just watch in the pub? I’m swithering between thoughts of ‘it’s a young man’s game’ and ‘f**k it, you only live once, try for tickets’.

I went to France ‘98 but that was for the Morocco game where we got pumped 3-0. I watched the opening game against Brazil in the Novar Bar and that was quality. A great day. Pub was bouncing and beer was all over the ceiling when we got that penalty. Hopefully we get something to go nuts about against Germany.

10 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I hope to be proven wrong but I still think we have issues in the goalkeeping position, central defence and up front that will be exposed at this level.

I would agree but the groups are quite weak because they have let so many teams enter the competition. After the group stages then you have to be a good side. 

5 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I’m mulling over whether to try and get tickets or just watch in the pub? I’m swithering between thoughts of ‘it’s a young man’s game’ and ‘f**k it, you only live once, try for tickets’.

I went to France ‘98 but that was for the Morocco game where we got pumped 3-0. I watched the opening game against Brazil in the Novar Bar and that was quality. A great day. Pub was bouncing and beer was all over the ceiling when we got that penalty. Hopefully we get something to go nuts about against Germany.

What are the avenues to getting a ticket now that the ballot is done - is that through the SSC

26 minutes ago, Comrie said:

Tough, but doable group.

Germany are a mess, Hungary and Switzerland are both disciplined, hard working sides with a scattering of good to very good players. This could be a very low scoring group.

This is my thought, a lot of draws, and a single goal win will probably decide who qualifies

23 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

If we only have the €195 tickets available then I'm out. Will happily go to the last 2 games.

1 hour ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Our best ever chance of reaching the knockout stage of a major tournament IMO. Let’s fucking do this.

1990 was definitely better. A very average Sweden (who we did beat) and Costa Rica. Even the seeded Brazilians were no great shakes that year, and it was 4 3rd places sides from 6 that year too. We blew it, but we should have got through.

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

1990 was definitely better. A very average Sweden (who we did beat) and Costa Rica. Even the seeded Brazilians were no great shakes that year, and it was 4 3rd places sides from 6 that year too. We blew it, but we should have got through.

We've had quite a few draws at World Cups that were arguably easier on us; we'd normally get one of the big guns, a minnow that everyone dismissed out of hand (who'd we'd sometimes fail to take maximum points from), and another nation roughly on our level.

The Germans are a weak top seed, but Hungary and the Swiss are probably about the same as us. No "easy" game there.

6 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Fair enough, was not aware 3rd placed sides made it in any tournament other than the last two Euros.

3 minutes ago, BFTD said:

We've had quite a few draws at World Cups that were arguably easier on us; we'd normally get one of the big guns, a minnow that everyone dismissed out of hand (who'd we'd sometimes fail to take maximum points from), and another nation roughly on our level.

The Germans are a weak top seed, but Hungary and the Swiss are probably about the same as us. No "easy" game there.

If we concentrate on ourselves there is a decent probability the other teams all take points off each other. Whether that turns out to be good or bad for us I have no idea!

Just now, albagubrath said:

If we concentrate on ourselves there is a decent probability the other teams all take points off each other. Whether that turns out to be good or bad for us I have no idea!

Aye, it'll be a surprise if anyone skooshes this group. If someone does, they'll have done well.

Overal decent enough. Could have been better but cant complain. Going into the draw I had three red letter hopes

- avoid Italy

- avoid France

- avoid England

Given all of those got ticked off nothing was going to be awful.

I had Germany bracketed as 3rd choice of the seeds narrowly behind Belgium and Spain. As long as we avoided England and France though.

2nd seeds I'd have preferred Albania or Romania but Hungary are preferable to Turkey or Denmark.

4th seeds Switzerland were probably my 5th choice but the big thing was avoiding the Italians. Happy enough with that.