The Americanisation of UK culture

I don't know if you've realised, but there's a sweeping Americanisation of this country been going on. Stupid Yank phrases, customs and pastimes have been infiltrating our society, and its about time someone put an end to it before its too late. No more should we tolerate "proms", "baby showers" or "gender reveals", American's hosting "football" and "baseball" games in London, and people using Z's instead of S's and other nonsense from the Yank dictionary.

How long until people in this once proud country are celebrating "thanksgiving" and calling nurseries "kindergarten"? How can we stop cultural Yankism?

I'm finding it happening a lot too with accents where youngsters at high school are speaking increasingly with a slight American brogue. Scottish accents and dialects will become museum pieces I think.

Politics is another thing. I hear people here describing themselves as liberals, or who talk about racism in a way that seeks to superimpose American structural racism onto the UK, or worse, Scotland.

Social media being monopolised by Americans is the reason for this, obviously. 

25 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

I don't know if you've realised, but there's a sweeping Americanisation of this country been going on. Stupid Yank phrases, customs and pastimes have been infiltrating our society, and its about time someone put an end to it before its too late. No more should we tolerate "proms", "baby showers" or "gender reveals", American's hosting "football" and "baseball" games in London, and people using Z's instead of S's and other nonsense from the Yank dictionary.

How long until people in this once proud country are celebrating "thanksgiving" and calling nurseries "kindergarten"? How can we stop cultural Yankism?

Happy thanksgiving to you too buddy. 

I sure hope you have a swell pumpkin pie. 

45 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Can't disagree with your sentiments.

Unfortunately, you're about 75 years too late and this genie ain't (heh, heh) going back in the bottle.

Yep, Hollywood was there long before the internet, but all it takes is each of us to stand our ground.  As such I will never use terms like 'Fall', 'High School' or 'Trick or Treat', or change from the 's' to a 'z' spelling.  And I go out of my way to avoid using businesses which pollute the airwaves with cod American voiceovers.

That will be you Monterrey Jack's, have a nice day but it won't involve me.