Dumbarton -vs- Stenhousemuir (Saturday 9 December 2023)

The biggest game in the SPFL this weekend sees Dumbarton hosting Stenhousemuir at the Rock. Both sides are legitimate title contenders and this contest could have a big bearing on the destination of the championship come May. The last meeting between the sides was a good laugh, with Dumbarton racking up four goals in 25 first-half minutes to eventually win 4-2, and Stenny actually playing well, despite the scoreline. That match in late August was Stenhousemuir's only league defeat of the season, and they've been in tremendous form lately with five consecutive wins. The Sons have been equally as impressive, with five consecutive victories in all competitions. I am pumped for this one - it's got a real top-of-the-table feeling to it.

Adam Brown's suspension following his red card against Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic will force a reshuffle but it's a pretty straightforward swap with Ross Taylor poised to take his place. Taylor's had to make do with a number of cameo appearances in recent weeks and I've no doubt he'll be excited to play from the start. The rest of the team picks itself:

- Matty Aitken -

- Euan O'Reilly - Matty Yates - Ross Taylor -

- Mikey Anderson - Nat Wedderburn -

- Kinlay Bilham - Gregor Buchanan - Nicky Jamieson - Edin Lynch -

- Darren Jamieson -

Other than that daft 25-minute spell, where everything Dumbarton touched went in, we've looked defensively assured and we'll be counting on Buchanan and Jamieson once more. I fancy us a bit here - I'm not sure if we'll win but I don't think we'll lose either.

Hopefully the pitch is in a playable condition. I'll see you all there!

I don't remember the last time I was this excited/nervous for a game on a Monday. It sounds daft to say so early in the season, but I don't know if we can afford to lose this one. Then we'd be reliant on Stenny replicating our second-half of last season.

We looked like scoring every single time we went forward in the last game. But we'll play a completely different side and in a completely different shape this time around. We're at our best down the wings imo, and I'd fancy us to be able to get at those Stenny full-backs a wee bit with Carlo and Kalvin and Shiels and T.Wallace.

If we turn up and play as well as we have done in recent weeks then I'm very confident we'll get a result. How could I not be after scoring five down at Galabank? But I still don't fully trust this team. Especially in the opening minutes of a game, where we have a tendency to be half asleep until Brett Long has made a good save.

What I did like about Galabank though was the confidence and belief the players showed after going behind twice. There was no panic, just a continuation of the good work and a belief that we had the quality to score. That's something I've not seen in a Dumbarton team since the Dom Thomas-era.

Brett Long

Carlo Pignatiello Sean Crighton Mark Durnan Matty Shiels

Kalvin Orsi Blair Malcolm Finlay Gray Tony Wallace

Ryan Wallace

Michael Ruth

It's actually a bit harsh on a few who came off the bench and performed well at Galabank. But they are nice options to have; Jinky Hilton especially is the perfect replacement in the Ryan Wallace-role when his customary 74th minute substitution arrives.

Both sides are flying, and on paper there's very little between them, both with 5/5 records - Stenny have conceded one less goal and scored three more than us all season, albeit in one more game.

Ross Taylor has caused us more problems than anyone else this year, so it'll be interesting to see how he does up against Carlo Pignatiello. Likewise I'm expecting a fairly breathless battle on the other side between Euan O'Reilly and Matty Shiels. 

Hopefully there's a good turnout in the home end. The Elgin game actually felt busier than I was expecting, and it would nice for this to feel like as big a game as it is.

17 minutes ago, George Parr said:

Fairly or unfairly, throughout his tenure it's always seemed like these are the matches where Farrell and his squads have struggled to produce results - the crunch, pressure fixtures. A statement win would go some to allaying those bottle-merchant fears. 

We'll need everyone to be at it from the start, that's for sure, especially on that 'appalling' pitch of ours.  Stenny fans are certainly beginning to get heady on the Title Juice, and I can hardly believe it's only a few weeks since they were papped out of the Cup by the Rangers of Brora.

9 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

We'll need everyone to be at it from the start, that's for sure, especially on that 'appalling' pitch of ours.  Stenny fans are certainly beginning to get heady on the Title Juice, and I can hardly believe it's only a few weeks since they were papped out of the Cup by the Rangers of Brora.

Add in the fact they have 3 Dumbarton rejects in there side, there's certainly an interesting dose of optimism around the place. I certainly didn't expect Edin Lynch to be anything more than a squad player when I seen him sign in the summer. Surely we should know enough about him to be looking for some joy down our left hand side.

27 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

If everyone can keep their #FazOot posts here, that'll save @Neilly having go to Sons Sorrow as well 😉

We are fighting the good fight on behalf of the pea hearted, keyboard hardmen.

An unnamed PnB poster actually shouted "Faz Out" to the very man on Saturday as he left Ochilview shaking in his boots having just watched the champions elect. This was swiftly followed by a "Faz In". Faz did not look impressed but it was quite funny all the same.

Adam Brown will be a miss for us on Saturday for sure. He's had a great season, the numbers back that up, and gives us an element of control in midfield playing narrow on the left. We have Ross Taylor champing at the bit though and he'll be let off the leash on Saturday - for me the most exciting player in the division. 

Big Edin Lynch has been solid for us and I won't have a bad word against him. Very limited on the ball but I can only think of Kian Leslie giving him any bother at all when he's played full back this season. It's been a stroll in the park outwith that. Dumbarton have good wide players to choose from though so this will be his biggest test to date for sure.

Two decent sides going at it, both in great form and both will fancy the job. I can only see a tight game in store so I'll go for 4-0 Warriors. Taylor, Buchanan and a hat-trick from our #9.

Hoping my Mrs can hold off labour in order to attend Saturday's game but we all know how selfish woman can be at times.

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Stenny fans are certainly beginning to get heady on the Title Juice, and I can hardly believe it's only a few weeks since they were papped out of the Cup by the Rangers of Brora.

If you're going to put a Scottish Cup embarrassment against non-league opposition in rearview mirror, there's no better way to do it than by winning your next five matches! In all five games, there's been something to admire - a come-from-behind victory against Forfar Athletic, bouncing back from two quickfire setbacks against the Spartans, playing one of the best teams in the division off the park (Peterhead), winning in Stranraer for the first time in eight years, and beating stubborn opponents with 10 men (Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic). We've got a good manager, a likeable group of players and we're capable of playing good football.

If that's not a cause for optimism, I don't know what is! It's fun to get carried away sometimes! You must remember how it good it feels to dream?

3 hours ago, Neilly said:

An unnamed PnB poster actually shouted "Faz Out" to the very man on Saturday as he left Ochilview shaking in his boots having just watched the champions elect. This was swiftly followed by a "Faz In". Faz did not look impressed but it was quite funny all the same.

. I can only see a tight game in store so I'll go for 4-0 Warriors. Taylor, Buchanan and a hat-trick from our #9.

Greenied for these 2 gems 👏🤣

Edited by Boghead ranter