The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2024

Week 17 update

One death this week, Frank Field: Lord Field of Birkenhead obituary | Frank Field | The Guardian

Born in London, Field came from a Tory-voting, working-class home. His father, Walter, was a labourer in Battersea, south-west London, and his mother, Annie, a teaching assistant. As an adolescent he joined the Young Conservatives before switching to Labour because of its clearer opposition to apartheid in South Africa. After attending St Clement Danes grammar school, then in Hammersmith, west London, he studied economics at Hull University, graduating in 1964, and became a further education teacher in Southwark and Hammersmith. He served as a councillor in Hounslow (1964-68) and unsuccessfully contested the South Buckinghamshire seat in the 1966 general election.

His breakthrough as a campaigner came in 1969 when he became director of the CPAG, building it into a high-profile pressure group. From 1974 he simultaneously headed the Low Pay Unit. This experience was later recognised with his appointment in 1987 as chair of the select committee on social services (later social security) as well as in 2010 the coalition government’s “poverty tsar”. Iain Duncan Smith, the reforming welfare minister in that government, shared many of his views, and was taken aback when Field attacked the coalition’s universal credit and bedroom tax.

An interesting obituary. He seems to have been a little bit of everything. 

Field died at 81 so he's worth 44 Base Points for @Bully Wee Villa, @Enigma, @Indale Winton, @Lofarl, @LoonsYouthTeam, @psv_killie, @qos_75, @The Naitch and @TxRover. @blackislekillie gets a Vice-Captain bonus for 66 points.

As a result, the standings look like this:

1. mozam76 402
2. Billy Jean King 380
3. Moomintroll 346
4. psv_killie 335
5. Indale Winton 328
6. lolls 316
7. Forest_Fifer 297
8. sparky88 291
9. Ned Nederlander 282
10. lichtgilphead 279
11. The_Craig 254
12. pub car king 238
13. The DA 228
14. JustOneCornetto 225
15. blackislekillie 216
16. The Naitch 213
17. Arch Stanton 207
18. parxyz 206
19. cdhafc1874 204
20. Oystercatcher 198
21. Bully Wee Villa 194
22. weirdcal 191
23. Melanius Mullarkant 176

24. amnarab 169
25. El Guapo, mathematics 164

27. Salvo Montalbano 163
28. TxRover 157
29. alta-pete 156
30. choirbairn, Desp, peasy23 150
33. tamthebam 144
34. Savage Henry 134
35. Arbroathlegend36-0 126
36. Lofarl, qos_75 119
38. Arabdownunder 117

39. buddiepaul, chomp my root, scottsdad, Trogdor 113
43. sleazy, Sweaty Morph 100
45. Craig fae the Vale 95

46. ThomCat 94
47. pawpar 90
48. invergowrie arab, Karpaty Lviv, Ray Patterson 78
51. DG.Roma, Mark Connolly, sensorsoupe, Sergeant Wilson, Shotgun 75
56. ICTChris 74
57. D Angelo Barksdale 71
58. Raidernation 60

59. Florentine_Pogen 58
60. Aim Here, Darren 51

62. BillyAnchor, doulikefish 49
64. Enigma, LoonsYouthTeam 44
66. stanton 25

67. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CsroU6IlQNJOesOqCc5gsI7SCw8ywBS-PUzQwLTJe4g/edit?usp=sharing

My Dragons Den pitch is "Famous Folk- ensure another year on earth". Premise is simple, if I put you in my 15 you won't die for another year. £100K a slot seems reasonable. 

6 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

My Dragons Den pitch is "Famous Folk- ensure another year on earth". Premise is simple, if I put you in my 15 you won't die for another year. £100K a slot seems reasonable. 

So your entire turnover comes from people who don't turn over.

6 hours ago, Rugster said:

Brian McCardie who was in Filth and also Tommy Hunter in Line of Duty no longer under witness protection

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/24288526.time-line-duty-actor-brian-mccardie-dies-aged-59/

Indirectly responsible for a memorial going up in Dalbeattie. 

He played the nasty Murdoch in "Titanic". The real Murdoch was born in Dalbeattie and the people of that town were so annoyed at the portrayal of one of their citizens that they had a memorial to Murdoch erected in the town. It's quite near Dalbeattie Star's football ground if memory serves. 

58 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Indirectly responsible for a memorial going up in Dalbeattie. 

He played the nasty Murdoch in "Titanic". The real Murdoch was born in Dalbeattie and the people of that town were so annoyed at the portrayal of one of their citizens that they had a memorial to Murdoch erected in the town. It's quite near Dalbeattie Star's football ground if memory serves. 

McCardie played Murdoch in the 2012 TV miniseries. However my understanding is that it was Ewan Stewart (son of Andy) who played Murdoch in the James Cameron film that got the Dalbeattie folks' backs up because he was seen shooting a passenger who tried to get into a lifeboat.

38 minutes ago, GordonD said:

McCardie played Murdoch in the 2012 TV miniseries. However my understanding is that it was Ewan Stewart (son of Andy) who played Murdoch in the James Cameron film that got the Dalbeattie folks' backs up because he was seen shooting a passenger who tried to get into a lifeboat.

That's me telt...

You know it was also an iceberg that sank Liz Truss

12 hours ago, tamthebam said:

That's me telt...

You know it was also an iceberg that sank Liz Truss

She desperate to be making a comeback so it romaines to be seen.