Morton vs Ayr 2nd January - New Year Cracker

2 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

We are also down for losing four times in one season to Raith.

Raith are at least good. Morten will stay up this season in large part due to the 12 points that Ayr United are now three quarters of the way through gift-wrapping for them.

4 minutes ago, Chippyminton said:

Right enough aye - but we're only 2 points behind them and still have a game in hand.

Oh aye not saying it's a bin fire by all accounts ,but rather than a great set of results.

Every little helps n all that.

2 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Raith are at least good. Morten will stay up this season in large part due to the 12 points that Ayr United are now three quarters of the way through gift-wrapping for them.

Uh Oh Oops GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

5 minutes ago, Thumper said:

GIRUY. 

Well played Morton. Imrie got the tactics spot on today. We didn't lay a glove on you and 3-0 didn't flatter you. Only one team was attempting to win that game and it wasn't us. 

You've ruined my Tuesday, you b*****ds. (That is directed at the Ayr team).

Edit - I thought the two Robbies were pick of the bunch for Morton. Crawford was tireless in his pressing and driving forward. I wish our midfield had that energy. Big Muirhead must wish that he plays us every week. Is that not his second hattrick against us?

Edited by Trogdor

16 minutes ago, Thumper said:

If I remember correctly we were unbeaten vs Dundee and Queens park last season so it can only be good for us that we are starting to pick up points against the diddy teams. 

Edited by port-ton

14 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Well played Morton. Imrie got the tactics spot on today. We didn't lay a glove on you and 3-0 didn't flatter you. Only one team was attempting to win that game and it wasn't us. 

You've ruined my Tuesday, you b*****ds. (That is directed at the Ayr team).

You should thank us for probably emptying Bullen for you.

Well that was pleasant.

First half was actually a bit flat, both teams doing too much of possession for possession's sake knocking it about in their own half with no gameplan for how they would create anything out of it, but after a tricky first 10 minutes we were the better team even with not being that threatening. Unlike Ayr who were extremely lackadaisical, Morton players would break out of the casualness every so often and just launch it into the channel or try to carry the ball rather than taking the safe option all the time. That was how we got the lead with Wilson driving through the middle of the park to open the defence up, followed by Blues putting a superb ball in which Muirhead took well.

Second half was one way traffic from the start and even at 1-0 it felt like a question of how many, for all that it was individual genius from Muirhead to put the game to bed. I will happily confess that from the moment he cut inside to the moment he hit the shot I was repeatedly shouting DON'T SHOOT but ooft, what a fucking finish.

From the third we really could have gone on to make five or six if we kept the same intensity but I wasn't averse to us showboating our way through a game considering where we were just a few weeks ago. Alan Power's plan to just skin everyone who comes within 5 yards of him without going anywhere is so much more entertaining when you have a game wrapped up already.

Ayr are very bad at football. Ahui is never going to be a full time player, McGeady is a parody figure at this point. Some laugh that Senga was allowed to leave the pitch through being subbed without a booking having committed one borderline and one stonewall red card offence.

Outrageous to be two points off 4th from where we were at the start of December. The most pleasing aspect is that we've done it with the players who looked like weak links two months ago still starting. Everyone has just improved over time and things have clicked, which isn't to diminish the difference the one new signing Strapp has made.

Fully deserved 3 points today. Can't remember Mullen having a shot to deal with in the whole game.

Every time we went up the park I thought we were going to score.

Perfect hatrick for Robbie with his 2nd goal worth the entrance  fee alone.

Onwards and upwards as they say...

A sound pumping. Incredible to think that Ayr team went from scoring 4 in Kirkcaldy, 3 with ten men, to just 2 shots,  zero on target against us.

Brilliant turnaround from us. Form team in the division, 4 consecutive clean sheets and almost a full squad to choose from again. 

Both Robbies terrific as were Oakley and Wilson.

2 big tests to come, away to United and home to Thistle. Come through them and we will be looking good for top 4 after being bottom for weeks, some league!

Edited by madton