Stenhousemuir -vs- Forfar Athletic (Saturday 6 January 2024)

Happy new year! I wish you all a rich and prosperous 12 months.

League leaders Stenhousemuir - who have won their last nine matches! - welcome a faltering Forfar Athletic to Ochilview. In the summer, I thought both sides would enjoy successful campaigns. but only the Warriors are enjoying themselves at the moment - it just has not worked out at all for the Loons, who find themselves in eighth place with 17 points. Their team seems unbalanced, there's a lack of quality in attack and Mr Raymond McKinnon is hanging onto his job by the skin of his teeth. I thought McKinnon was the best manager the club could have hoped to appoint but after a promising start, he's lost the faith of the support and I'm surprised he's still in situ.

Stenny haven't been fantastic in their last three matches but they are still winning. The team for this game effectively picks itself, with Edin Lynch injured and Ross Taylor suspended. Kyle Jacobs is available but will probably have to make do with a place on the bench as Mikey Anderson and Nat Wedderburn continue to thrive in midfield. Other than Jacobs and James Berry, we don't have many options to change things so let's hope this XI can do the business:

- Matty Aitken -

- Euan O'Reilly - Matty Yates - Adam Brown -

- Mikey Anderson - Nat Wedderburn -

- Kinlay Bilham - Gregor Buchanan - Nicky Jamieson - Ross Meechan -

- Darren Jamieson -

Given both teams' recent form, you'd have to fancy Stenhousemuir to get the three points here (with Matty Aitken sticking one away for good measure). Forfar are down on their luck and will be without principle striker Josh Skelly, sent off against East Fife last weekend, and don't appear to have a credible alternative. All signs are pointing towards a home win - if Stenny take it seriously, they'll do the business here.

Comfortable 3-0 win for Stenny incoming.

I, for one, can not wait to see us start with massive goal threats such as Euan Mutale. Or Cameron Ferguson. Or Darren Watson.

5 minutes ago, fafc1885 said:

Comfortable 3-0 win for Stenny incoming.

I, for one, can not wait to see us start with massive goal threats such as Euan Mutale. Or Cameron Ferguson. Or Darren Watson.

If only the Leagues top scorer hadn't been hounded out of the club eh?

Just now, Jupiter Jazz said:

Maybe if he showed the same level of ability. He was poor at us and has obviously realised what parts of his game he needs to improve on so fair play to him.

Unless Uncle Ray has some decent signings lined up this week then I see no reason why we don't go 10IAR this Saturday.

Forfar are a powder puff outfit and we are better than them all over the park - the game really comes down to how we are between the ears and not so much in the legs. Switch ourselves on mentally and there should only be one outcome.

The team picks itself with Lynch and Taylor not available. Slightly lacking in options from the bench but I wouldn't be overly surprised to see an attacking option signed along with Jacobs in time for the game.

Stenhousemuir 3-0 Forfar. O'Reilly and Yates adding to a mandatory Matty Aitken brace.

9 minutes ago, fafc1885 said:

Maybe if he showed the same level of ability. He was poor at us and has obviously realised what parts of his game he needs to improve on so fair play to him.

He wasn't poor at us. He scored goals and was teeing them up left, right and centre season before last. He didn't get a run last season and when he did play we didn't play to his strengths. 

43 minutes ago, Jupiter Jazz said:

He was mince last season. Stop acting like he was the second coming of Pele.

Armour was better, hence he played more.

17 minutes ago, Jupiter Jazz said:

He wasn't poor at us. He scored goals and was teeing them up left, right and centre season before last. He didn't get a run last season and when he did play we didn't play to his strengths. 

He played 35 times last season. 

8 minutes ago, May Rckinnon said:

He was mince last season. Stop acting like he was the second coming of Pele.

Armour was better, hence he played more.

Where am I acting like that?

Armour is clearly not better though is he? 

6 minutes ago, May Rckinnon said:

He played 35 times last season. 

Not from the start though, you've literally just said Armour played more!?

Just now, Jupiter Jazz said:

Where am I acting like that?

Armour is clearly not better though is he? 

Not from the start though, you've literally just said Armour played more!?

Aitken is enjoying his best season of his career. Good for him. He's playing in a team with more quality than he had at forfar. What on earth makes you think he'd have had a start like he's had at station park?

He's had 2 bites of the cherry at us, his highest tally being 10 goals. 

I'm glad he's doing well, clearly needed to venture out to somewhere new to get his career on track. 

Should I start bemoaning the fact we let Ouzy See go because he's scored goals elsewhere? 

You could put prime Ronaldo Nazario in the forfar squad and he wouldn't score 12 goals.

8 minutes ago, May Rckinnon said:

Aitken is enjoying his best season of his career. Good for him. He's playing in a team with more quality than he had at forfar. What on earth makes you think he'd have had a start like he's had at station park?

He's had 2 bites of the cherry at us, his highest tally being 10 goals. 

I'm glad he's doing well, clearly needed to venture out to somewhere new to get his career on track. 

Should I start bemoaning the fact we let Ouzy See go because he's scored goals elsewhere? 

You could put prime Ronaldo Nazario in the forfar squad and he wouldn't score 12 goals.

Bottom line is Aitken is a far better option than anything we have now, including Skelly, which was the original point.

3 minutes ago, Jupiter Jazz said:

Bottom line is Aitken is a far better option than anything we have now, including Skelly, which was the original point.

Sanny is a better option at this point but again, without a proper squad nobody is helping.

19 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I feel a shock coming on.....

There's no chance Stenhousemuir will keep this winning streak going but it's much more likely to come to an end next weekend at the Spartans, a team we've squeaked by twice, than here, in my opinion!

9 hours ago, Jupiter Jazz said:

What about the times he’d run to press a player at 1mph and if the defender kept a hold of the ball then Matty would just stand still infront of him and do f**k all. 

What about the times he was through for a clear shot at goal but randomly decided he wanted to do a quick 360 with the ball before taking his shot.

What about the times where he would get complete and utter bullied on the park.

What about the times where he would simply not put in any effort at all.

He simply had to go. 

1 hour ago, BridiesHereBridiesThere said:

What about the times he’d run to press a player at 1mph and if the defender kept a hold of the ball then Matty would just stand still infront of him and do f**k all. 

What about the times he was through for a clear shot at goal but randomly decided he wanted to do a quick 360 with the ball before taking his shot.

He simply had to go. 

Whataboutery.

11 hours ago, BridiesHereBridiesThere said:

He simply had to go. 

taking all this into account, the boy clearly cant cut it. i understand stenny will be releasing him later today. thanks for your in-depth analysis