Cove v Queens

Difficult away game but somehow we have to start and get results.

Hopefully Reilly Cochrane and Brydon back for this but Todd could be added to the injury list .

Hopefully we can add quality to the squad this week right now we are nowhere near good enough for the playoffs .

On 21/01/2024 at 10:14, Greenacres said:

Difficult away game but somehow we have to start and get results.

Results don't seem to matter to Bartley.  If you offer him a 0-1 defeat with no shots on target but plenty of huff and puff he'll bite your hand off.

Difficult away game here, Cove seem to have improved a bit since we were up there earlier in the season, in the same time we have regressed..  Given Bartleys negative approach to away matches (and matches in general) this is likely to be another turgid watch from our point of view.  The highlight of the day will probably be the pre match drinks.

34 minutes ago, sneeuq said:

Is there any betting on the number of shots on target we will have?

Looks like we will not be adding to our  squad no surprise really as nobody will take any of our poor  squad.

As long as we follow the game plan work hard we should get away with another 1 nil defeat which Bartley will be quite happy with. 

I can't see shots at goal added to the game plan play not to lose rather than to  win . 

I'm feeling quite optimistic tonight so I'm gonna stick my head out here and predict 3 (three) shots for Queens ... note that I didn't say on target tbf ...

This will be a continuation of the previous games against the sides I feel, tight and could go either way. Prior games this season have both gone the way of the visitors by a single goal margin.

We're 1 win in 5, against a depleted Edinburgh City at Balmoral, and have conceded 2 or more in 6 out of our last 7 which is woeful. Hopefully the addition of Matty Shiels will improve that but we'll be without Mikey Doyle tomorrow as he's serving a suspension for 2 yellows against Accies last time.

Fyvie is still 2-3 weeks away. Mitch will return from injury and partner Rumarn up top

No Doyle means Darge or Sena at RB which is a real worry and only shows our lack of depth. With the January business now done according to Hartley today in the pre-match article, we will run with a squad of 19. At least 3 are out, including Demus (GK), so will be no more than 5 subs tomorrow.

Lawal might be in line for his debut, maybe from the bench.

BTTS looks nailed on but will there be a winner

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

This will be a continuation of the previous games against the sides I feel, tight and could go either way. Prior games this season have both gone the way of the visitors by a single goal margin.

We're 1 win in 5, against a depleted Edinburgh City at Balmoral, and have conceded 2 or more in 6 out of our last 7 which is woeful. Hopefully the addition of Matty Shiels will improve that but we'll be without Mikey Doyle tomorrow as he's serving a suspension for 2 yellows against Accies last time.

Fyvie is still 2-3 weeks away. Mitch will return from injury and partner Rumarn up top

No Doyle means Darge or Sena at RB which is a real worry and only shows our lack of depth. With the January business now done according to Hartley today in the pre-match article, we will run with a squad of 19. At least 3 are out, including Demus (GK), so will be no more than 5 subs tomorrow.

Lawal might be in line for his debut, maybe from the bench.

BTTS looks nailed on but will there be a winner

We haven't had a shot on target in the previous two away games, so don't go betting your mortgage on this one. 

17 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

We haven't had a shot on target in the previous two away games, so don't go betting your mortgage on this one. 

That's rough going although Accies game aside results seem better in general since the win on pens against Dundee United?

It likely doesn't take that much improvement from your first half of the season to be right in amongst the playoff spots, as you are, you are within touching distance.

Hopefully Gavin Reilly is back for this one as we're powderpuff in front of goal without him (0 shots on target in the two away games without him).

Will also be interesting to see if Bartley sticks with the three CBs (Ambrose, Brydon and McClelland). 

It's getting to the stage of the season that a point here and there against the "big boys" isn't going to be good enough. If we're chasing a result with 20 minutes to go we must stick the rapid Walker on up front rather than tortoise Hutchinson. 

Will stick my neck out with a 2-1 Cove victory (shot on targets).

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

That's rough going although Accies game aside results seem better in general since the win on pens against Dundee United?

It likely doesn't take that much improvement from your first half of the season to be right in amongst the playoff spots, as you are, you are within touching distance.

From the outside looking in perhaps. The reality is the Montrose game was clearly a freak result and our other two wins have come against the two worst sides in the division. Even against the lower placed sides we've looked poor. Be gobsmacked if this isn't a comfortable Cove win tbh. 

3 hours ago, 84yards said:

Hopefully Gavin Reilly is back for this one as we're powderpuff in front of goal without him (0 shots on target in the two away games without him).

Will also be interesting to see if Bartley sticks with the three CBs (Ambrose, Brydon and McClelland). 

It's getting to the stage of the season that a point here and there against the "big boys" isn't going to be good enough. If we're chasing a result with 20 minutes to go we must stick the rapid Walker on up front rather than tortoise Hutchinson. 

Will stick my neck out with a 2-1 Cove victory (shot on targets).

I'd expect that to be the case with Cochrane and Reilly to start so hopefully we'll have a shot on goal to be excited about at the end. Having said that we've a manager that's capably of putting any sort of team out!

Edited by bod

Matchday - so the big questions are ... Can Cove break down Queen's "Catenaccio" defensive wall? and ... Will our shot on goal be on target and even hit the back of the net?

Strangely, if somehow we could win today and if results elsewhere fall in our favour, we could possibly find ourselves in 4th by tonight - highly unlikely I know ... probably more chance of a politician telling the truth tbf ...

Great to see Johnstone get a start, Cochrane and Reilly on the bench!!!

Edited to say, Todd obviously  not recovered from last week's knock.

Edited by bod

3 minutes ago, bod said:

Great to see Johnstone get a start, Cochrane and Reilly on the bench!!!

If we're a goal down, then we'll wait until the 90th minute before bringing on both Cochrane and Reilly in a double sub "Plan B" masterstroke ...

Two away games without a shot on target, a long journey up to theoretically difficult opponents at Cove with Marv probably happy to come away with a narrow defeat, sorry count me out of this one. Ok, add me to the list of "not a true supporter", it's getting truer by the week. 

10 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Two away games without a shot on target, a long journey up to theoretically difficult opponents at Cove with Marv probably happy to come away with a narrow defeat, sorry count me out of this one. Ok, add me to the list of "not a true supporter", it's getting truer by the week. 

I’m only 80 minutes away each way from this but I can’t stomach going. Knackered after 3 days overseas away on business and with a toothless team playing park the bus and triangles it’s more than I can stand. I want us to win as ever but I suspect another 1 to 3 goal reverse with no shots on goal. Please can we attack teams from the start and get a couple of players in before the 31st otherwise  no reason to attend just to see the season dribble away with turgid football. Depressing. 

11 minutes ago, Artemis said:

Is that all 4 players who have played at CB starting? I know McKaiser is now in midfield but 4 CBs plus a LB means half the outfield players are defenders. Nowhere near enough, imo.

Dan Church started at CB in the game he got injured, and then Todd replaced him there when he went off. So not quite!