Pavement Parking

Anyone in an area where the banning of pavement parking will cause them problems?

I'm thinking in particular of places like Portobello where it seems to me to be likely to cause real problems, with many roads between Portobello High Street and the prom being too narrow for the number of residents' vehicles (let alone visitors') vehicles even WITH folk parking on pavements.  I suppose the obvious question is ... if there's no room for the cars to park legally, where will the residents park?

In the summer, or even on other days when the sun peeks out, the parking is hellish as it is.

I'm not ignoring the problems that pavement parking causes, not only for people with disabilities, folk using prams etc but also for the wear and tear causing increased maintenance.

3 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Anyone in an area where the banning of pavement parking will cause them problems?

I'm thinking in particular of places like Portobello where it seems to me to be likely to cause real problems, with many roads between Portobello High Street and the prom being too narrow for the number of residents' vehicles (let alone visitors') vehicles even WITH folk parking on pavements.  I suppose the obvious question is ... if there's no room for the cars to park legally, where will the residents park?

In the summer, or even on other days when the sun peeks out, the parking is hellish as it is.

I'm not ignoring the problems that pavement parking causes, not only for people with disabilities, folk using prams etc but also for the wear and tear causing increased maintenance.

No, my street is fine - but you should see the absolute state of the pavements in the colonies off Easter Road, all the kerbstones are absolutely gubbed and paving broken because of people parking on the side.

Round the corner from me, loads of new paving was installed, a couple of box vans unloading later and they are all smashed to bits.

Paris has the right idea, they put bollards on the edge of pavements where the street is too narrow for this stuff, allows deliveries to drop off and pick up and let disabled people actually get past.

5 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Paris has the right idea, they put bollards on the edge of pavements where the street is too narrow for this stuff, allows deliveries to drop off and pick up and let disabled people actually get past.

In Spain they dig up a street and a big hole, stick in a car park, and then lay the street back on top.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

In Spain they dig up a street and a big hole, stick in a car park, and then lay the street back on top.

I hop e Glasgow doesnt do this when they implement their scheme, you might end up on the subway track...........

The whole mindset around pavement parking is wild. "I don't want to block the road" - well don't park there then. I'm pretty sure you could see the available road space when you bought either your house or your car.

The ones that really piss me off are the the drivers who park on the pavement no matter what. Even when it's a wide side-street that sees only a handful of cars an hour, they still need to have at least 2 wheels on the comparatively narrow pavement. 

Just now, Richey Edwards said:

Not having a driveway, carpark or a garage should automatically bar you from owning a vehicle IMO.

I dont have any of these, and my street is pretty empty, I park right outside my front door 99% of the time.

We are in a permit parking zone, and you can walk (genuinely) 2 or 3 minutes round the corner and see people drive round and round the same streets trying to get a spot immediately outside their stair door - its actually incredible just how lazy some people are when they could walk a couple of mins and park in my street.

Just now, Leith Green said:

I dont have any of these, and my street is pretty empty, I park right outside my front door 99% of the time.

We are in a permit parking zone, and you can walk (genuinely) 2 or 3 minutes round the corner and see people drive round and round the same streets trying to get a spot immediately outside their stair door - its actually incredible just how lazy some people are when they could walk a couple of mins and park in my street.

It’s just a mindset thing, I’ve got the town centre a 5-10 min walk away from my flat and I’ll nip over for a greggs sometimes (walking ofc). Last time I seen my neighbour jumping back in his van for the less than half a mile drive back to our street. 

Just sheer laziness and will only get worse imo

3 minutes ago, throbber said:

I was In Portobello earlier in month and wanted to get parked and was on the high street and saw a vacant space that was to my left, that said , the car at the opposite side of the road was indicating right to the same space even though it was on my side of the road. I was planning on pleading ignorance and just taking the space anyway but the car violently beeped at me so I shat the bed and drove away. Would I have had right of way to take the space in that circumstance seeing as it was on my side of road?

People who cross to the wrong side of the road to park are oftw in my view - they are always the twats that halt the traffic when they want to come out against the flow.

Also - finders keepers, snooze you lose etc etc !

I would love to see it country wide. The scumbag garages/mechanics and their selfish scum customers outside Hillington West train station are constantly taking up the entire pavements beside extremely busy roads

Perfect example on Google maps. This morning the red area is entirely blocked off by vans. Its unbeleviable how selfish some vehicle drivers are. How the f**k is someone in a wheelchair or with a pram supposed to get past this?

image.thumb.png.9e27f2728b51a0c09da536ef13c3a176.png 

Edited by Jives Miguel

2 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

A hundred years of town planning wisdom has informed us that when you make car ownership shitty enough for drivers, they stop using cars, switch to public transport or walking, and cities become nicer. If you try to appease car owners with nicer facilities and wider roads and whatever, then more people start to use cars, and the city becomes as hellish as it was before you widened the roads.

The very idea is to harass residents into not owning cars anymore. The usefulness of the policy is directly proportional to the volume of complaints about how annoying it is to own a car in Edinburgh.

The answer to your question is that the residents shouldn't be parking cars anywhere, if at all possible.

15 minutes ago, throbber said:

I was In Portobello earlier in month and wanted to get parked and was on the high street and saw a vacant space that was to my left, that said , the car at the opposite side of the road was indicating right to the same space even though it was on my side of the road. I was planning on pleading ignorance and just taking the space anyway but the car violently beeped at me so I shat the bed and drove away. Would I have had right of way to take the space in that circumstance seeing as it was on my side of road?

Depends how hard you are.

4 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

I would love to see it country wide

afaik, Highland council are doing it next, I think Glasgow are also looking to implement a version - but in targeted areas (so, in reality the result will be similar as here).

I live in a house with a one car driveway and its a 2 car household so I often park on the pavement outside my house as I'm first away in the morning and first home at night.  It saves pissing about and swapping the cars about at 6/7 at night when I can't be arsed.

I got a notice on my car on Saturday from the Highland Council about pavement parking so what I do now is fully park on the road instead of half on the pavement. Causing the gritters and bin lorries etc aggro as it's a fairly tight street.

11 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

afaik, Highland council are doing it next, I think Glasgow are also looking to implement a version - but in targeted areas (so, in reality the result will be similar as here).

I wondered if they'd go for an target area based approach.  There is part of Newcraighall where the pavements are huge and folk park there with loads of space for pedestrians.  It doesn't directly affect us at home as we have a driveway, but we quite often meet up with friends in Portobello and parking is an issue.  I think I'd feel pretty hacked off if I lived in an area where pavement parking is not permitted and received a fine, if people parking on pavements in other places in the same council area received no fine.

It should also be remembered that folk with health issues use cars as well. Anyone who has health issues but can't reach the Blue Badge threshold will also be snookered looking for places to park as well.  

Edited by Salt n Vinegar

Ban cars from all areas considered City/Town Centre (expanding to suburban centres like Portobello for larger cities) except for a circular route on the outside with car parking facilities for visitors. Pedestrian priority with buses, taxis and people with blue badges on roads in those areas. If you live in a heavily urbanised area with access to facilities and reliable public transport you can have a car but I'm afraid you'll have a bit of a walk to be able to access it. Any car parked on a kerb or otherwise obstructing a definitive pedestrian walkway to be clamped, lifted and cubed. No appeals.

Sorted