Saints v Hearts, Wednesday 7th February

52 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hearts player clean through. 

McGowan wipes him out.

Linesman says offside.

VAR says offside.

McGowan booked.

😂

Ref gets that spot on, if indeed he was offside which looked incredibly dodgy.  It's not a red cause he's offside but you can't just boot players cause the flag's up.

Shanks is just a machine, what a boy

Just now, GorbalsMags said:

Mostly we miss Dan Phillips' strength and willingness to run forward. Max just doesn't have the mass to do that and is bullied about too easily

If you have Dan and Matt in there you don't play Carey deep and one of Max or C Smith loses out ( that'll be heartbreaking for Levein). That changes everything for Saints, as what we witnessed tonight doesn't work. Special mention for Nicky Clark tonight, that was a particularly shite performance.

28 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

I get why Saints set up like that, especially to start with, but are you doing that against teams closer to you? I know there have been grumbles about the style but that was more negative than I expected first hour. You've got more quality than to be playing like that regularly IMO.

It's a Levein team.

What did you expect?

1 minute ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

It's a Levein team.

What did you expect?

That was negative even for him. Marginally less so as it opened up and the game proceeded but for a a long part it was really deep, no space at all to play in, little attempt to hit on the counter.

I thought that was a bit shite.

No disgrace etc but we are utterly incompetent from midfield to front.

Playing it backwards to keep possession, working it across the back is fine when there’s nothing on, but it’s our go to tactic. We play it back and sideways so much hearts players started to anticipate our players would turn back the way, and nicked the ball several times.

Theres occasions where we have space to run into and we just don’t, and end up fannying about till we’re under pressure and squaff it out for a throw in.

Tony Gallacher, Luke Robinson, Olufunwa and particularly Max kucheriavyi I’m looking at all of you! 

It’s more of the same that we’ve had for a few years now, as long as it’s 0-0 we’re happy. We never want to take the game to the opposition, that was a free hit tonight after county’s result.  Two exciting new forwards and they’ll be feeding off scraps all season.

Didnt think hearts were any great shakes, but they were comfortable winners, and shankland will make a difference in every tight match you play so the points will keep piling in as long as he stays fit.

13 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I thought that was a bit shite.

No disgrace etc but we are utterly incompetent from midfield to front.

Playing it backwards to keep possession, working it across the back is fine when there’s nothing on, but it’s our go to tactic. We play it back and sideways so much hearts players started to anticipate our players would turn back the way, and nicked the ball several times.

Theres occasions where we have space to run into and we just don’t, and end up fannying about till we’re under pressure and squaff it out for a throw in.

Tony Gallacher, Luke Robinson, Olufunwa and particularly Max kucheriavyi I’m looking at all of you! 

It’s more of the same that we’ve had for a few years now, as long as it’s 0-0 we’re happy. We never want to take the game to the opposition, that was a free hit tonight after county’s result.  Two exciting new forwards and they’ll be feeding off scraps all season.

Didnt think hearts were any great shakes, but they were comfortable winners, and shankland will make a difference in every tight match you play so the points will keep piling in as long as he stays fit.

I think it's a combination of being underdogs, it being freezing, the pitch being heavy because it's February, and missing key players in the centre of the park, that really didn't help. By rights that game should have been a draw but we just don't have someone like Shanks there to put the round thing away, and we haven't since Sandaza or May

Edited by GorbalsMags

Thought 1-0 was probably a fair result over all. Hearts never really threatened much, but we're never threatened themselves much. That extra bit quality tells.

Big drop off in quality in Saints midfield when you remove Phillips and Smith.

VAR again being a joke. None of the checks were particularly obviously incorrect, yet took far too long and the booking for McGowan, was a joke. Fans in the ground for all teams are an afterthought so some power hungry guy watching a monitor in Glasgow can feel important. 

Just now, Theyellowbox said:

Thought 1-0 was probably a fair result over all. Hearts never really threatened much, but we're never threatened themselves much. That extra bit quality tells.

Big drop off in quality in Saints midfield when you remove Phillips and Smith.

VAR again being a joke. None of the checks were particularly obviously incorrect, yet took far too long and the booking for McGowan, was a joke. Fans in the ground for all teams are an afterthought so some power hungry guy watching a monitor in Glasgow can feel important. 

Yeah the booking for Gowzer was bizarre, and the fact it took like 5 minutes to reach the decision was just insult to injury

As said a few posts back, the booking for Gowser was correct. If it was onside he'd have been off, but as it was offside you can't just blooter people. Reckless yellow offences should stand even after an offside.

2 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

As said a few posts back, the booking for Gowser was correct. If it was onside he'd have been off, but as it was offside you can't just blooter people. Reckless yellow offences should stand even after an offside.

If it's as serious a foul as that he should be off regardless of if it's in play or not

Just now, GorbalsMags said:

If it's as serious a foul as that he should be off regardless of if it's in play or not

A reckless foul is a yellow card offence. Excessive force and reckless is red.

If it was onside it would've been red because it was denial of a goalscoring opportunity with no attempt to play the ball.

3 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Apart from VAR can't give yellow cards?

Unless it was for dissent of course.

Ref was hopeless but didn't effect the game.

St Johnstone look a much better team than when we last played them. I like Craig and Andy and wish them well. Feels like with Shanks we are witnessing a potential legend.

1 minute ago, Kyle Reese said:

St Johnstone look a much better team than when we last played them. I like Craig and Andy and wish them well. Feels like with Shanks we are witnessing a potential legend.

Very few players I can remember when you are genuinely feart of them scoring every time they get the ball (except for penalties :P)

3 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

Apart from VAR can't give yellow cards?

Unless it was for dissent of course.

Ref was hopeless but didn't effect the game.

The ref was quite clearly waiting to see what the offside decision was. 

VAR never told him to give it ffs. He's realised it was off and he should've booked him.

Seeing the St Johnstone handball penalty shout back. There have been penalties given for that.  The arm is not out quite as far as the Dundee player on Saturday, but pretty similar in style.  No consistency at all from refs on what is and isn't. 

I think where it's right is that the refs decision isn't obviously wrong, but definitely seen ones like that given this season.

26 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

Don’t forget Gowser

St Johnstone are going to be my side for this years bottom six

23 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

The ref was quite clearly waiting to see what the offside decision was. 

VAR never told him to give it ffs. He's realised it was off and he should've booked him.

That doesn't make sense because refs are allowed to revise their decisions after the fact and upgrade yellow cards or downgrade reds, so why not just give the yellow and then adjust as necessary? It's just incompetent more than anything else