Dumbarton vs Spartans

Match Outcome  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Match Outcome

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/02/24 at 19:45

Both sides come into this off the back of poor results. Particularly Spartans, as Elgin had astonishingly collected only ONE point on the road all season, prior to yesterday.

I've heard conflicting things about Spartans. I know Jan thinks quite highly of them, but I've also heard that the result at Ainslie Park was more down to us being poor than them being especially good. I didn't see either of our games against them, so not really sure what to expect. They looked decent enough against Hearts, scoring a worldy, but I'm fairly sure they don't operate at that level every week. I assume they're well organised, hard to break down and more than capable of causing trouble, with one of the most prolific goalscorers at this level.

The only thing I'd confidently predict is that the pitch is going to be a shambles and playing any kind of football will be out the window, which really won't suit us. I don't think there's anything to suggest we'll win this, with an away win being the more likely. Expecting a poor quality game, with a goal in it at most either way.

Edited by FifeSons

I think Spartans will get at least a point, if not all 3, unless their form has really dipped, in that case we will draw again and Stevie Ranieri will say we were unlucky, on another day - that's a win for us, can't fault the boys at all, this is the business-end of the season and we are gearing up for the play-offs.

On 12/02/2024 at 09:06, O'Kelly Isley III said:

This is a very fortuitous fixture.  A visit from one of the division's best supported teams on a dreich mid-February night, being played on a moto-cross surface with the outcome being of importance to, well, no-one really.  Bring.  It.  On.

Where else would you want to be tonight?

They don't have the stream up to buy yet. Seems odd if they don't, given the blackout doesn't apply tonight. The way I'm feeling about the club right now, I'm not even sure I'd buy it if they did. At the same time, though, I feel like why should I let that dick MacKay take away one of my favourite things.

Edited by FifeSons

I really like what I've seen of Spartans this season; Cammy Russell, Bradley Whyte and Rhys Armstrong have caught my eye as players I didn't know all that much about before the year, but now really rate. I can see all three moving up the food chain a wee bit over the next summer or so.

Dougie Samuel is a class act and the way the folk connected with Spartans conduct themselves (based on the two games so far) is a reflection of that. I've said it before, I really wanted to hate the B-team enabling boys club. But I just can't. They are a good team on the park and a nice bunch off it.

I was digging into the Stats Centre last night (rock and roll) and something really caught my eye though. Spartans have the lowest number of shots and shots on target in the division (169 v our 222 and 70 v our 98). Despite that they've only scored one goal less than we have. So they are clinical but, based on other trends I've watched, that's unsustainable. Either they have to be shooting more, or they won't be quite as clinical throughout a 36 game season.

I was also quite surprised to see us so far up the shots table. We're third for shots on target, and if we can manager four tonight we'll go top. Given one of my bugbears this year has been that we don't shoot enough, I'm starting to question if that's just in my head!

Kalvin Orsi likely won't be fit enough to start (although I'd be trying to save him for the big astro at NDP anyway if he's not 100%). But I think we will see things given a wee shakeup again. I'm expecting to see Ryan and Tony Wallace return; although who drops out is anyone's guess.

I'm also really concerned about left-back. Can we please try Blair Malcolm there? I wouldn't even be against a simple switch of him and Gallagher Lennon to try Lennon in midfield with the pace of Finlay Gray to support him. Lennon is better on the ball than Malcolm, but I'd fancy Malcolm to be a more comfortable full-back.

Based on a mixture of what Faz might do and what we could do, I'll go for something like this:

Jay Hogarth

Carlo Pignatiello Cian Newbury Sean Crighton Blair Malcolm

Aaron Healy Gallagher Lennon Finlay Gray Tony Wallace

Ryan Wallace

Michael Ruth

Healy looked like a good chalk on the boots, dig out a cross type winger. And I think that might work well for Tony Wallace. I also feel a bit guilty about dropping Marc Kelly after he did what we've been failing to do all season and got a goal from a cross. I'd not be against starting him in behind Michael Ruth in place of Ryan Wallace; but he could be a decent option to have in reserve. Wallace, for all his lack of goals, just has a bit of quality that can open up a game. And I think we miss him when he isn't there.

I also thought Div Wilson had a good game on Saturday, although wasn't sure if he was taken off after a knock. If he's fully-fit then he could take Lennon's place in central midfield.

A win makes the whole situation (on the park) look a lot brighter. A good performance and a win would be a really nice Tuesday night treat.

Kelly should've definitely had at least one more goal on Saturday. He had a great chance in the first half.

I'd be fine with Gray and D.Wilson starting in CM. I don't think we always need a defensive midfielder, especially in home games where we should be looking to win. As Lionel Wickson said to me on Saturday, at least Wilson's passes were going forward, rather than backwards or sideways like Blair or out of the park like Malcolm. Lovely cross for his assist, too.

Edited by FifeSons