Flying Wasps v Faltering Cove

A successful 10 days for the Wasps, which sees them rack up 3 straight wins and rightfully leapfrog us into 3rd place ahead of Saturday's game at the Recs

Big Andy's side are hitting form with only 1 loss in the last 9 league games, a much stronger quarter which has revitalised their season. With Bobby Wales rejoining and with 6 in his last 7 there must be a degree of optimism going into the business end of the campaign. There's plenty of games left and the likes of Montrose, Kelty, QoS will certainly have us in their sights.

For Cove, our results have been almost the polar opposite. Since Taggs injury time winner at Balmoral we've picked up only a solitary win (against Edinburgh City) in our last 7 league games to go with 3 draws and 3 defeats. 

As mentioned on the Wasps Nest podcast, this could be the return of Fyvie after 3 months out. Desperately need him back to change our fortunes and get us playing something resembling football rather than lobbing aimless balls up to and around Rumarn. 

With Fyvie 

P8 W5 D3 L0    - 18 points (4 clean sheets)

Without Fyvie

P15 W4 D4 L7   - 16 points (1 clean sheet)

* Since I've quoted the above Fyvie will likely play and we'll still lose but thought I'd stick it in.

Predicted Lineup below. The two changes I envisage from the cup game with Killie are Shiels returning at LB and hopefully we see Fraser. Kerr and Darge to drop to the bench. Likely will be narrow 4-4-2 for us with full backs being encouraged to play higher when we're in possession and Sena retreating for cover. Suman supposedly could be a doubt after getting a bad knock at the weekend, however, Balint Demus would be equally as good so wouldn't weaken us. Many Cove fans would like to see Balint get a run of games, one of our own and all.

Result is a tough one to call. Bookies make Alloa slight favourites which going by form and home advantage is spot on. Without Fyvie, it's hard to see us getting anything more than a point although in fairness there has been an improvement in our last 3 games. With Fyvie we might have a chance for something more positive.

After this one Alloa have Hamilton (A) and Montrose (A) so two tougher fixtures. Cove play Annan (H) and EC (A)

Cove-Alloa-17022024.png

Edited by CoveRangers1922

• CoveRangers1922 changed the title to Flying Wasps v Faltering Cove
1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

A successful 10 days for the Wasps, which sees them rack up 3 straight wins and rightfully leapfrog us into 3rd place ahead of Saturday's game at the Recs

Big Andy's side are hitting form with only 1 loss in the last 9 league games, a much stronger quarter which has revitalised their season. With Bobby Wales rejoining and with 6 in his last 7 there must be a degree of optimism going into the business end of the campaign. There's plenty of games left and the likes of Montrose, Kelty, QoS will certainly have us in their sights.

For Cove, our results have been almost the polar opposite. Since Taggs injury time winner at Balmoral we've picked up only a solitary win (against Edinburgh City) in our last 7 league games to go with 3 draws and 3 defeats. 

As mentioned on the Wasps Nest podcast, this could be the return of Fyvie after 3 months out. Desperately need him back to change our fortunes and get us playing something resembling football rather than lobbing aimless balls up to and around Rumarn. 

With Fyvie 

P8 W5 D3 L0    - 18 points (4 clean sheets)

Without Fyvie

P15 W4 D4 L7   - 16 points (1 clean sheet)

* Since I've quoted the above Fyvie will likely play and we'll still lose but thought I'd stick it in.

Predicted Lineup below. The two changes I envisage from the cup game with Killie are Shiels returning at LB and hopefully we see Fraser. Kerr and Darge to drop to the bench. Likely will be narrow 4-4-2 for us with full backs being encouraged to play higher when we're in possession and Sena retreating for cover. Suman supposedly could be a doubt after getting a bad knock at the weekend, however, Balint Demus would be equally as good so wouldn't weaken us. Many Cove fans would like to see Balint get a run of games, one of our own and all.

Result is a tough one to call. Bookies make Alloa slight favourites which going by form and home advantage is spot on. Without Fyvie, it's hard to see us getting anything more than a point although in fairness there has been an improvement in our last 3 games. With Fyvie we might have a chance for something more positive.

After this one Alloa have Hamilton (A) and Montrose (A) so two tougher fixtures. Cove play Annan (H) and EC (A)

Cove-Alloa-17022024.png

That's my commentary about cove sorted on Saturday. 😅

Serious offer if you fancy doing the commentary with Kieren pop up to the press box. My laptop's graphics card has burnt out and it will be a patchwork  fix and likely technical chaos again tomorrow.

My threat to delete one random player from the team sheet until I get a new device should be taken seriously now. 🦹‍♀️

A boost for Alloa and a blow for Cove. It will have been a full 3 months out for Fraser after what looked like a little knock but was clearly more than that. Only played 8 competitive games for us in whole of 2023.

"The Alloa game might have come too early for Fraser Fyvie, who has now resumed full training, but assuming he suffers no reaction, the midfielder should be available for the meeting with Annan next week."

https://coverangersfc.com/2024/02/16/massive-ninety-minutes-ahead-at-alloa/

We got 9 points out of 9 which was the important thing but our performances haven't been great. Other games we've played well but came away with a draw.

I liked the look of Sutherland further up and Cammy at LB. If all fit, I'd probably play the same starting XI we put out against Stirling. Been good to see LD getting some game time as he comes back to fitness but don't think he's fit enough to start a game yet.

Crazy statistics with cove,   8 wins then  only one in 7 ?  you guys were out of sight then boom ..

Although our performances have seemed to be  less than brilliant  we need to take into account we are grinding out results and before we may not have been so fruitful points wise ,

performance is affected by the opposition , Annan beating Hamilton was a warning but we prevailed . been very happy how things are going and if we can save our best for the next three opposition teams i will be ecstatic ,  A lot of fans grew impatient at the annan game and started to give some anxious stick to wayward passes ect , the guy next to me stayed calm and said to me ,"we will win allright" he knew what the team is  like now , never give up and quite confident , Cove are going to be just as tough as any other team  and if we get another win tomorrow it will be massive .

Edited by Vegetableman

Flying Wasps based on results perhaps but pretty bumpy flights the last two games! Mentioned it on the Annan thread (and @printer explained it better) but I'd like to see Scougall play in one of the deeper midfield roles here. Roberts and Virtanan have done really well together but without Stevie Hetherington we do we miss someone who can put their foot on the ball and slow it down, just a wee bit more composure, and look to bring the boys further up into the game. That would be harsh on Virtanan, who has shown his worth but would probably drop out if this happened, but I think it would be good for the team.

Leaves a gap further up where Scougall was but we have a few options. Probably too early for LD to start as Rory said, but Kev can certainly do it, or bring Steven inside. I'd also be interested to see Ally Roy in that role. Seems to be an assumption he needs to play up top but a lot of the best work he did when he first signed was dropping back and linking things up. It was his through ball that set up the winner on Tuesday. Not necessarily saying he's the man for that role tomorrow but I'd like to see him there at some point, think he could do it. I'd also use Sutherland off the bench tomorrow.

I'm sure the boys will bring another big effort anyway and keep going to the end, looks like a really good spirit in the camp again 🐝.

Virtanen has been excellent for us lately and the balance in the middle of the park has been better.  I don't think he will drop out when Herrington will be fit. He as really shown his worth recently. 

Are we sure the same 22 players came out for the second half? The game totally turned on it's head.

Been a bit critical of Morrison this season but he made some very good saves today. 

Another highlight reel goal for Steven.

Very harsh red card too, his foot didn't leave the ground and he got the ball.

Taylor steven was on fire today , he seems to have adjusted his sights and is a goal threat every chance he gets , Wales too excellent goal 

but the cove defender will have nightmares about that 

Did not seethat coming after a poor first half where we did not deserve to be ahead , excellent thereafter though 

4 wins on the trot, when was the, last time that happened ?  

Paul hartley G I U Y

Definitely a game of two halves!

Thought Cove were streets ahead in the first half and we were miles off it, bar Morgyn Neill and Miko Virtanen. Assuming Scougs had his boots on the wrong feet today cause that’s probably his poorest game in an Alloa shirt!

Cove really hard done by to be trailing at the break although we had started to come in to the game a bit just before the penalty. Great work from Taylor Steven to win the pen. 

2nd half I thought we were excellent. Moved the ball around much better and quicker and looked a real threat when we broke with the ball. Bobby did what Bobby does before the disappointment of conceding when we were pretty much cruising. 

What a response though within a couple minutes from Steven! From behind the goals I thought it looked an even better finish than his goal in the derby. Great composure from him to get another shortly after, recognised he wasn’t going to get over the ball taking it first time so moved it to the side then slotted in the corner. 

Real shame for Dave McKay as I thought he and Neill were excellent at the back today. They have formed a good partnership in the absence of Devine. Will get a look at the red tonight but initial thoughts were it looked harsh.

I’ve slated PJ a few times this season but he pulled off a number of excellent saves today. Quite a few in the 2nd half but his one in the first half after it deflected off Morgyn Neill was a great stop. 

MotM for me is probably Taylor Steven with the ‘assist’ for the penalty and his 2 goals, but huge shoutout for Miko Virtanen - he was superb for the full 90 minutes and seemed to be everywhere mopping up whenever Cove looked to transition quickly - his involvement winning the ball back for Steven’s 1st goal typified his work today. 

Fantastic win in the end! Cove will be wondering how that happened because they were miles better than us in the first-half. The concerns over our midfield to the fore there, just couldn't get our foot on the ball and absolutely dominated by Cove. Scougall ended up dropping deeper and deeper at that point to try and help Miko and Roberts without much success. We needed some good defending and a fair bit of luck to stay at 0-0. But then Taylor Steven went on a brilliant run and was pulled down and Taggs popped the pen away no bother. 1 up at ht and grand larceny! 

Early second half Bobby Goals (you copyrighted it yet @Kevchenko?) took advantage of defensive howler to burst away and finish cooly and after that it was wide open and we looked like we might get a few more. Conceded out of nothing though - cross should have been stopped - and I feared the worst. But Steven stood up again with another beauty - then another fine goal after that. Felt like we needed that fourth goal too!

Whole team deserve great credit but special praise for Taylor, he was absolutely terrific today and is really hitting form. And I should mention the defence and PJ who kept us in it before we scored. 

4-1 probably doesn't really reflect the game and there is still plenty to work on there, but it's a massive win and should be a great confidence boost. Well done to Andy and the players ❤️🐝

Edited by Waspie

Really bizarre tactics today. Offensive in the first have and defensive in the second when you go one down. Struggling to find a positive during the journey home and I can’t find a man of the match. I’m actually going to go a bit further.

Hartley knew what was needed in the transfer window, it was some kind of creativity through the midfield if Fraser was going to be injured or on the flanks. Not only did he fail on that and seemed quite smug about the business he did, he also let Gallagher go who whose strength is driving forward with the ball. I’m not calling for his head but I’m starting to get a bit bored with poor transfer decisions and I don’t think I’m the only one. I’m also sick of reading that Golding, Mykata or Gallagher are man of the match for other clubs.

He needs to recall Gallagher before the mood turns ugly

8 minutes ago, Watson Nimrod said:

Hartley

Even with the obvious nepotism with his position I’m assuming he’s got to be under a fair bit of pressure after that?

Have to think any other manager going on the run he has with a (essentially) full time side in League 1 would have their coat on a shoogly peg, bar Marvin Bartley it seems!

That's Wales and Steven with twelve goals between them. Eight of those (four each) in our four wins (so far) in February. I'm expecting the SPFL monthly divisional awards to be heading our way.

Most enjoyable game of the season.  Fast-moving; slick, close passing from both sides and every goal was wonderful

in it's own way.  First part of the season under Chipper was a hard, hard watch and even contemplated being absent

from some games. After a slow start the difference under Andy is really amazing, all done with the same players. Carrot

or stick for you?

Puzzled at some of Hartley's tactics and line-up.  Mark Reynolds was a fine player at a level way above this, but having a 

36 year-old up against a 19 year-old flyer is never going to work.  Same at the other side where Mikey Doyle, now visibly

struggling to cope with the pace of the game was up against Bobby Wales who just seems to float over the ground.

The line-up is far from perfect. The Cove goal was very simple with lots of daylight shining through the defence and Stevie H

will make a big difference when he returns. But the fighting spirit is there and would take that all day long.

Edited by Willie Gut