1 hour ago, gannonball said:

To be fair he says 'incompetence' about him twice after saying his name rather than insinuate bias. I think a fine at the very least might be incoming for Rodgers though after that interview. As for Beaton has generally been ok tbh ever since a very questionable derby performance years ago but I do think he is pretty terrible at being a VAR official. The sooner the SFA realise the skill set is different for that role rather than having some pishy rota for them the better.

He knows the paranoia around Beaton, he's not daft. Rather than blame Robertson, he calls out Beaton directly. It's piss poor, but not surprising. 

Amazed he's not said Celtic got a soft penalty anywhere either. Almost as if it wouldn't fit the narrative. 

Edited by Tony Wonder

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, AJF said:

He might've used the word incompetence, but by constantly name-dropping Beaton even though it wasn't him that made any decision, he knows exactly what he is doing and is absolutely feeding the Celtic fan narrative around Beaton.

I'm not disagreeing that Rodgers was at it a bit singling him out but TBF he specifically mentioned incompetence, twice, rather than suggesting bias, unlike the hilarious Collum stuff earlier on in the season. I think the 'not made any decision' is a bit nonsensical as they can massively influence the game hence just about every top level fan in the country going off their but about them, refs rarely go against their judgement. Also the 'narrative'  about Beaton certainly isn't limited to Celtic fans but tbh as a ref I don't mind him, as VAR he's shite.

18 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

He knows the paranoia around Beaton, he's not daft. Rather than blame Robertson, he calls out Beaton directly. It's piss poor, but not surprising. 

Amazed he's not said Celtic got a soft penalty anywhere either. Almost as if it wouldn't fit the narrative. 

Yeah that's basically where Rodgers argument falls down really, Hearts took advantage of calls in their favour, we simply did not.  I was reading that out of an our past 10 penalties we have only scored 5. 

Edited by gannonball

11 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

I wouldn't put it past Beaton to cheat but the final decision is with the referee and Beaton did chop off a Hearts goal for offside.

21 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I'm not disagreeing that Rodgers was at a bit singling him out but TBF he specifically mentioned incompetence, twice, rather than suggesting bias, unlike the hilarious Collum stuff earlier on in the season. I think the 'not made any decision' is a bit nonsensical as they can massively influence the game hence just about every top level fan in the country going off their but about them, refs rarely go against their judgement. Also the 'narrative'  about Beaton certainly isn't limited to Celtic fans but tbh as a ref I don't mind him, as VAR he's shite.

Yeah that's basically where Rodgers argument falls down really, Hearts took advantage of calls in their favour, we simply did not.  I was reading that out of an our past 10 penalties we have only scored 5. 

But by name-dropping Beaton rather than the actual referee who made the decisions is the part where he knows exactly what he is doing.

As you mention, Rangers in January similarly stated they believed Collum had made an error (they didn't outright suggest bias, as you suggest), but I said at the time they knew what they were doing. It feeds a narrative to deflect.

Rodgers would've been fine if he just mentioned he thought the officiating was poor, but he went a step further and targeted one individual who wasn't the actual referee, knowing how it would play out amongst the support.

And in terms of the 'not made any decision' part, well, it's factually accurate. I appreciate referees rarely go against them, but ultimately the VAR asks the referee to review it and then make a decision. And I think that's where the difference is - Rodgers targeted the VAR rather than the on-field referee or the officiating as a whole.

Edited by AJF

Just now, AJF said:

But by name-dropping Beaton rather than the actual referee who made the decisions is the part where he knows exactly what he is doing.

As you mention, Rangers in January similarly stated they believed Collum had made an error (they didn't outright suggest bias, as you suggest), but I said at the time they knew what they were doing. It feeds a narrative to deflect.

Rodgers would've been fine if he just mentioned he thought the officiating was poor, but he went a step further and targeted one individual who wasn't the actual referee, knowing how it would play out amongst the support.

And in terms of the 'not made any decision' part, well, it's factually accurate. I appreciate referees rarely go against them, but ultimately the VAR asks the referee to review it and then made a decision. And I think that's where the difference is - Rodgers targeted the VAR rather than the on-field referee or the officiating as a whole.

The absence of a penalty, card etc isn’t evidence of not making a decision. 

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

The absence of a penalty, card etc isn’t evidence of not making a decision. 

Aye, well if we consider that the VAR has made the decision to ask the referee to review the incident, then that is a decision, of course. I think my point is mainly that the final decision ultimately rests with the on-field referee who seems to have escaped criticism from Mr Rodgers.

Also by talking about refs, Rodgers deflects from focus on his tactics which were frankly poor. We had a grip due to the extra man, and it's difficult but you can still try to mitigate it. Instead, he watched a first half where Celtic, minus McGregor and a man down, really struggled to make an impact in midfield. His way to address that was sacrificing Bernardo for Kyogo which almost completely surrendered the middle of the park and made it much easier for us to manage.

I hate to get on the young players backs when they're only just breaking into the team, but I feel Denholm still has quite some work to do on his rage face and the intensity of his throttle. 

image.png.d85aa556bf6136882741e6ab4a7d2728.png

2 hours ago, Empty It said:

It's actually you that's assuming gender there but not sure what that's got to do with your manager and goalkeeper being pretty pish.

It doesn’t have anything to do with it however cunty behaviour needs called out. 

Do better

1 hour ago, Unleash The Nade said:

F8224253-3FE8-43EC-9D2C-55FE7CFAC203.thumb.jpeg.a4a386b2af93651064842e8f3c422c39.jpegPenalties awarded in the SPL so far this season.

Definite conspiracy as surely Celtic should have had more than that 

I think the issue everyone has is the game situation where Rangers always get one.  It's either when they're losing by a goal or drawing so the officials appear to be 'helping' them. Celtic seem to get theirs when they're already 4-0 at home to someone so they don't get highlighted as much.

4 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I think the issue everyone has is the game situation where Rangers always get one.  It's either when they're losing by a goal or drawing so the officials appear to be 'helping' them. Celtic seem to get theirs when they're already 4-0 at home to someone so they don't get highlighted as much.

What should be highlighted is how abjectly pish we are at penalties.

There are some exceptions though, the pen we got late at Hibs was a winner

Edited by Jinky67

5 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

The greatest trick that Peter every played was to convince everyone that Sevco get all of the decisions. 

3 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

What should be highlighted is how abjectly pish we are at penalties.

There are some exceptions though, the pen we got late at Hibs was a winner

Yes, all your players turning into Fort William strikers when placing the ball on the penalty spot doesn't help.

2 minutes ago, bennett said:

The greatest trick that Peter every played was to convince everyone that Sevco get all of the decisions. 

Again, Celtic obviously get as many as Rangers do, it's the game scenario in which Rangers seem to get them is what fucks everyone off.

Just now, TheScarf said:

Again, Celtic obviously get as many as Rangers do, it's the game scenario in which Rangers seem to get them is what fucks everyone off.

celtic haven't got any openers through penalties or won any games through penalties,  just Sevco. 

celtic haven't got any openers through penalties or won any games through penalties,  just Sevco. 

'Aye but what about them?' is it? Nice one.

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

'Aye but what about them?' is it? Nice one.

It's definitely not like celtic recently beat Hibs 1 - 2 with 2 penalties,  because only Sevco win games with penalties. 

It's definitely not like celtic recently beat Hibs 1 - 2 with 2 penalties,  because only Sevco win games with penalties. 

You could say that about 10 times this season for Rangers.