Cheltenham 2024

So it’s Gold Cup day and this is a day I don’t often put much effort in antepost. Some very tough racing today (perhaps not the main event itself). 

Been happy to share my selections but realise I haven’t put up why I’ve backed them (the posts were long enough) so thought I’d do that on the last day. 

Posted (edited)

I say not much effort goes into antepost day 4 as Sir Gino was my only real bet of significance today. With it out of the Triumph I think most people will turn to the juvenile hurdle from Feb at leopardstown for clues. Kargese won well but there seemed to be mistakes from most of the field and with the top 6 being covered by about 5 lengths I don’t think anyone can say for certain who comes out on top. At the prices though I’m happy to take the 4th placed Bunting. Made a few mistakes and hung left after the last but it closed well and I think it will be suited to the stamina test. One from another race that ties in is Nurburgring who finished a nose in 3rd behind Kargese back in December and that’s second choice. 

On a side note I’ve also stuck a free bet on Salvator Mundi. Been off the track almost a year and only once raced finishing second in France. No idea what to expect but I couldn’t help myself as that second place finish was a 2 length second to Sir Gino on a heavy surface. 

The county hurdle I could tip about 10 horses so will just tell you who I’m on. Pied Piper small play antepost but nothing significant and 4 pounds up from last year on a heavy surface I’m not confident. Big hope is Kingofkingsfield. Not sure how good it is but third last time out behind the supreme and Ballymore winners is hopefully top form. My other bet is Magical Zoe who has good form, did well in the mares novice last year and is proven in the conditions 

Albeit Bartlett will keep it simple again. Captain Teague third in last years bumper behind Dream To Share and the impressive Fact To File and has a grade 1 win so hoping it’s a top class horse. Dancing City who was has looked very impressive in recent starts and proven in conditions too. Hardest race for me though this one. 

Gold Cup is GDC’s to lose but at prices I have stumped for Corach Rambler (although 4 pounds better off) it bravely beat Fastorslow in last years ultima then went on to win the National. I have also had an e/w punt on Nassalam who continues to shorten in price. Will love conditions and cantered the Welsh grand national so worth a go to me. 

Edited by diamond_for_life

No opinion on the foxhunters or whatever they call it now. Billaway used to always be my pick but it’s a race that has never peaked my interest. Time Leader e/w 50/1 and probably still Billaway despite being about 50 years old. 

My selection for this race was always Allegorie De Vassy but The market for the mares chase has me concerned and if Dinoblue continues to drift I think I might bet on her as I feel this will flip flop just before the off. I could be wrong and the rain is the reason for the drift but something doesn’t seem right this morning. 

we finish the festival with the Martin Pipe and it’s another race I have no strong opinion on 

I'm got Nassalam in the ITV7 sweepstake with the chance of becoming an Audi w****r! :P

Otherwise I've just gone for hardy beasts who look like they can win in the mud. Haven't made a profit this week but haven't lost much either, hoping to go out in style with a mental 20p each way super heinz. :1eye