Ross County v Heart of Midlothian (16/03/24)

Not really all that bad yesterday, to be honest. We had chances to win the game. One of those days.

In a way I think it's a good thing. A wee wake-up call getting towards the end of the season that, while we're likely to still cruise third (absolutely no excuses for not), the squad isn't quite what we want, and we surely now must have confirmed that Sibbick can't be an option for us in the future. A wee warning against complacency.

Big game next up against Killie. Really looking forward to that one.

Good luck to County. I think I speak for the entire nation when I say MAY GOD GO WITH YOU.

19 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Good luck to County. I think I speak for the entire nation when I say MAY GOD GO WITH YOU.

Uncle Roy will see to that with a sizeable donation to the Presbyterian church. 

2 hours ago, CountyFan said:

Any Hearts fan who wouldn't be absolutely howling about that free kick if the shoe had been on the other foot is at it. It's the clearest example of the "offside-interfering-with-play" phenomenon I've ever seen and I'm baffled there are people trying to argue with a straight face that the goal should have stood. 

You've more of an argument with the penalty but I agree with Mark that contact doesn't automatically mean foul. It was never a booking though. 

At the point the ball is struck the question is whether Shankland is impeding his ability to play the ball.  Which i don't think he is.  You can argue it and obviously they have disallowed it but i don't think Wickens is getting near it.  He's already started moving over towards that side when it's hit.

We got a goal given against us in Europe which was a far bigger example of interfering with play this season and i definitely was annoyed by it tbf

2 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

We got a goal given against us in Europe which was a far bigger example of interfering with play this season and i definitely was annoyed by it tbf

That's interesting - I wonder if that's where the idea came from. 

For me, PAOK's goal should never have stood either.

4 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Uncle Roy will see to that with a sizeable donation to the Presbyterian church. 

Can he put Sibbick in the tray too? He's the mother of all sinners in our defence.

On 14/03/2024 at 14:08, Matty-RCFC said:

With 3rd all sewn up, it’s definitely in Hearts’ best interest to give us the three points here for the purposes of relegating Aberdeen. 

Nice one, Mr Hearts. 

One thing that really annoys me about Hearts is how poor our corners are. Been bad all season but yesterday was particularly poor. 15 corners and I don't think a single one caused a panic. It can't be that hard for professional footballers to put the ball in a dangerous area.

19 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

One thing that really annoys me about Hearts is how poor our corners are. Been bad all season but yesterday was particularly poor. 15 corners and I don't think a single one caused a panic. It can't be that hard for professional footballers to put the ball in a dangerous area.

It's the deal we made with the devil to stop conceding from them.

4 hours ago, Crùbag said:

Can he put Sibbick in the tray too? He's the mother of all sinners in our defence.

I think someone already pointed this out earlier in the thread, but it's that Sibbick keeps making the same mistake. Either our coaching is failing him or he's just not taking thing on board, but two years on from the Hibs semi-final when he gifted them a way back into the game, he still makes that error in most games he plays at the back. Cost us a goal again yesterday.

Mistakes happen. That's fine. But he keeps making the same one.

Surely moved on in the summer. He's an obvious weak link. At least yesterday is not a catastrophic day for it to happen.

19 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Only for diving or mistaken identity. We had one for Alan Forrest overturned for diving against County earlier in the season.

Not surprised this one failed, I don't think it's a dive personally, there can be a middle ground, but equally once the ref has gave it they can easily say he's went down easily. Waste of an appeal.

1 hour ago, Matty-RCFC said:

In fairness to Shankland, he kind of bounces back up straight away and tries to keep playing so I do think it was pretty harsh. 

This is why it should have been a no-brainer win on appeal for me. There's literally no attempt at all by Shankland to gain an advantage here - he doesn't claim for a penalty, he doesn't roll about, he just gets back up and keeps playing.

Really poor decision by an inexperienced ref.

42 minutes ago, lennyzer0 said:

This is why it should have been a no-brainer win on appeal for me. There's literally no attempt at all by Shankland to gain an advantage here - he doesn't claim for a penalty, he doesn't roll about, he just gets back up and keeps playing.

Really poor decision by an inexperienced ref.

Some dives are so pish, the player realises they've no chance of getting a pen so gets up and continues to play to avoid getting booked.  Unfortunately for Shankland he has previous and refs are aware of him.  Correct decision imho.