Next Step(s)  

157 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

VAR won't be removed from the EPL imo. Amendments will be made to it and further steps will be taken to try to address concerns.

At the end of the day VAR in itself does lead to positive outcomes in terms of decision making. It needs refined, not withdrawn. I don't think many of the points raised by Wolves were that strong personally, nothing we haven't heard before - nothing that can't be improved.

4 hours ago, velo army said:

Goal line tech is a really stupid waste of money mainly because there are so few instances of it being required. Folk in England probably back it because they recall Lampard's goal not being given and kid themselves that it would have mattered. How many times during your team's season will there be a moment where there's a marginal decision on whether the ball has crossed the line?

Oh, and I was getting annoyed by this, but the word is "luddism".

Amusingly (and idk if the cameras would get the required coverage to gauge it unless there were dozens of them) I reckon you'd get more value out of goal line tech at the *sides* of the pitches and at the sides of the goalmouth, rather than on the goal line. Would help the linesmen more because there's far more instances where it's hard to tell by the open eye if a ball has gone out for a throw in/goal kick/corner than there are actual goals. VAR wouldn't really intervene unless there's been a goal, I don't think?

And then you have to decide who the ball has come off last if it does go out, nothing for that except a referee's judgement. Just remembered our blatant corner against Raith that somehow got given as a GK after cannoning off a defender, so yeah, trust that as far as you can throw it...

We had a ~5 minute delay last night, in the 45th minute, while they mucked about with the referees head set. The players then came back on the park, free kick was hit long and the half time whistle was blown.

Then the ball is put in the box in the last minute, referee stops play signalling a VAR check for a penalty, then a second later blows for full time. Even the linesmen didn't know what he was doing until he waved them onto the park.

It doesn't matter what "system" you use when these fucking clowns run it, so just bin it and have as few of them involved as possible.

The most grating part of VAR in Scotland for me isn't actually the checks after a goal has been scored, as unnecessarily long as they seem to be at times.

It is the checks for about thirty seconds after corners, free-kicks and suchlike, which completely suck the life out of the pace of the game, destroy momentum and kill potential counter-attacks. I have lost count of the amount of times watching my team this season where a corner has gone out for a goal-kick and there is the chance to get the ball back in the play quickly whilst the opposition defenders sprint back, but the referee signals to stop the game for thirty seconds whilst VAR check for a non-existent shirt pull that nobody has claimed for. Likewise, the ball getting headed out for a throw-in from a corner, the attacking team has the chance to keep the momentum of the attack going, and the game gets stopped for nearly a minute just to check that nothing happened. 

It just completely sucks the life out of the game as I have known it, and massively impacts upon some of the most enjoyable aspects of football for me as a match-attending fan. 

2 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Amusingly (and idk if the cameras would get the required coverage to gauge it unless there were dozens of them) I reckon you'd get more value out of goal line tech at the *sides* of the pitches and at the sides of the goalmouth, rather than on the goal line. Would help the linesmen more because there's far more instances where it's hard to tell by the open eye if a ball has gone out for a throw in/goal kick/corner than there are actual goals. VAR wouldn't really intervene unless there's been a goal, I don't think?

And then you have to decide who the ball has come off last if it does go out, nothing for that except a referee's judgement. Just remembered our blatant corner against Raith that somehow got given as a GK after cannoning off a defender, so yeah, trust that as far as you can throw it...

But who honestly gives a toss about corners and goal kicks. 

VAR isn't in place because people want greater accuracy. It's in place because folk were getting on top of referees constantly and blaming them for losing a game. The talking heads in the studio would add to this uncritical annihilation until we get what we have now, which is an over officiating of the game. Teams don't lose games because they've conceded a corner. They lose because they fail to defend the corner.

Personally I love it when a goal gets given after the ball's been out of play. It's superb craic.

“The technology isn’t the problem, it’s the people using it!!”

Actual footage of all the competent, but somehow not presently engaged, VAR officials waiting to be called up so they can save us from our misery:

People Beyonce GIF

1 hour ago, KingswellsRed said:

The angle and frame rate we have for many offside decisions tells you there very much is a problem with the technology itself before you even get to fan experience.

While the frame rate is a problem, the angles aren’t. 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/article/2024/may/16/british-conservatism-sport-var-football-video-refereeing

"There is one test of a true radical. It is not a quest for revolution in politics, philosophy, art or religion. The challenge lies in the realm of sport. Sport alone is immune to reform. It is enslaved to the past."

4 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/article/2024/may/16/british-conservatism-sport-var-football-video-refereeing

"There is one test of a true radical. It is not a quest for revolution in politics, philosophy, art or religion. The challenge lies in the realm of sport. Sport alone is immune to reform. It is enslaved to the past."

Wtf is that article 😂

5 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Should definitely get a SPFL one. Who'd write it?

Pretty sure that “your not Rangers anymore” would be an (almost) unanimous choice for this anthem.

17 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Wtf is that article 😂

I’ve read it four times now and I have no idea what he’s talking about. 

Not just his football comment, which is risible, but his cricket comment ‘I may want more stumps’. As a cricket fan, I can assure you this is the kind of thing a non-fan says. 

Fucking bizarre stuff. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

"I have met not a soul who agrees with me."

I'm not surprised, buddy. That whole thing comes across as someone who decided to open a second bottle of wine with lunch, then spent the afternoon trying to "Pepe Silvia" the debate into a much deeper cultural narrative.

Possibly one of the worst takes I've seen so far, either pro or anti.

Edited by Ric

6 hours ago, 2426255 said:

VAR won't be removed from the EPL imo. Amendments will be made to it and further steps will be taken to try to address concerns.

Agree. VAR is generally hated by the fans wo go to games, but loved by the armchair telly-watching 'fans' who vastly outnumber real people in the Moneybags English League. The telly companies won't allow it to go.

10 hours ago, Derryboy62 said:

VAR gave the wrong decision in the match between us earlier in the season when it incorrectly gave the penalty to Hearts at Dens.  

I'm assuming that you refused to celebrate it due to it being the wrong decision.....

Ps, the 7yo Kyle cried itself to sleep and then pissed the bed after Albert Kidd done the damage lol 😂 

Oh, yeah. That all happened. You are from a shithole and your club is shite… THAT did happen. 😎

Var is anything  but straightforward. 

It has many flaws. But I know If it was taken away it would  lead to the " if only we had tv evidence " 

If it's withdrawn then at anypoint  any club mentions getting video evidence that get heavily fined and docked points,