A bit on the strikers adding more on the role that our strikers play for the team and backing up the previous discussion suggesting that their role isn't necessarily about scoring goals. Taken from the Sporting Life interview.

You’re always trying to improve; you’re always looking to improve – but I think people are maybe a little bit short sighted to look too far beyond the work that Lyndon Dykes and Che Adams have done for us. Both of them over my time as head coach have been really good strikers for our team. Maybe not scoring goal after goal after goal because they’re not that type of striker. So you have to understand what both Lyndon and Che can bring to the group. They bring their own qualities which allows other players maybe to flourish and get the goals and get the headlines, but don’t underestimate the work that Lyndon and Che have done for Scotland over the last four years.

Steve Clarke

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

A bit on the strikers adding more on the role that our strikers play for the team and backing up the previous discussion suggesting that their role isn't necessarily about scoring goals. Taken from the Sporting Life interview.

Strikers are always part of the build up play or assisting others to score unless your an anamoly like Man City where Haaland often has the fewest touches.

If we had strikers who were good at putting chances away then would he be saying all of that? I don't think he would be personally. 

Southampton fans have been slating Che Adams for years now for missing sitters and I don't think Dykes is any better although he has done okay for us all things considered. If we had a quality goalscorer then both wouldn't be starting. 

51 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

Strikers are always part of the build up play or assisting others to score unless your an anamoly like Man City where Haaland often has the fewest touches.

If we had strikers who were good at putting chances away then would he be saying all of that? I don't think he would be personally. 

Southampton fans have been slating Che Adams for years now for missing sitters and I don't think Dykes is any better although he has done okay for us all things considered. If we had a quality goalscorer then both wouldn't be starting. 

We are lacking in the Striker department Butter Scotch, here’s hoping one of ours has a purple patch next month 🤞

With our options limited and now being a 26 man squad. It will be interesting to see how many Clarke selects 4 or 5 perhaps ?? 
Dykes Adams Shankland Conway + a.n.other ?? 

56 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

Was pretty much going to say exactly the same thing.

The idea that people outwith the coaching team can't recognise a striker contributing to the team other than scoring goals is ridiculous and frankly arrogant.

As you say if we had someone banging in goals in a top league they would be straight in the team.

If you've only got strikers who doesn't score much then yeah of course you have to look at the other aspects of their game.

Scott McTominay playing up top with Bruno for Manchester United. As they did against Newcastle.

He played as a false 9, dropping deep to help out the midfielders when out of position.

He played really well against Newcastle. He'll probably play this role in the FA Cup final.

I wouldn't be opposed to him playing up top for Scotland, in the same false 9 position.

He's definitely the best finisher in the Scotland sqysf.

I think it could be worth a try as a way of shoehorning but Gilmour and Christie into the XI if both come into the euros looking sharp and the forwards do not. Something could work along the lines of:

Gunn

Porteous - Hendry - Tierney

Ralston - Gilmour - McGregor - Robbo

Christie - McTominay - McGinn

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

I think it could be worth a try as a way of shoehorning but Gilmour and Christie into the XI if both come into the euros looking sharp and the forwards do not. Something could work along the lines of:

Gunn

Porteous - Hendry - Tierney

Ralston - Gilmour - McGregor - Robbo

Christie - McTominay - McGinn

How’s he gonna score with runs into the box if he plays as a nine*🤷‍♂️

Personally I’d play Shankland as the 9 and let the midfielders do what they do best

*but I do like the idea of SSC pulling out something radge in one of the games that completely throws the opposition coach and system 

Edited by MarkoP