Inheritance

13 hours ago, 'WellDel said:

Just hard to get your head around the fact that a family worth £37 billion can't bring themselves to pay a decent wage to the people they trust to, among other things, care for their children. 

A level of money that wouldn't even make the slightest ripple on the surface of their vast lake of wealth. Reprehensible basturts.

There would also be the hierarchical nature of Indian society. It's not uncommon to pick up on it in the workplace these days, even as a non Indian

Even the bints on STV have no shame.  Never heard of her? No, neither have I! 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/06/27/stv-presenter-hayley-matthews-snp-host-mother-dementia-powe/

Spoiler

TV presenter faces jail for embezzling £120k from mother with dementia

Sister of Hayley Matthews contacted police after spotting missing money

Daniel Sanderson

27 June 2024 • 7:15pm

A former STV presenter is facing a jail sentence after she embezzled more than £120,000 from her dementia-stricken mother.

Hayley Matthews, who was also known for fronting an SNP national conference, took the money after she received power of attorney over her mother Janice Matthews’ financial affairs.

She took a total of £120,000 and spent the stolen cash on items including a £1,300 Mulberry handbag. She made cash withdrawals worth £38,000 and spent more than £13,600 at Amazon and £5,544 at luxury firm the White Company.

She admitted embezzling the sum from her mother while acting with power of attorney between September 24, 2019 and November 8, 2022 when she appeared at Edinburgh Sheriff Court on Thursday.

Prosecutor Nadia Stewart told the court Janice Matthews was diagnosed with vascular dementia in 2019 and suffered from an alcohol addiction.

Her daughter took control of her financial affairs but concerns were raised about the finances following the death of Mrs Matthews in September 2021.

Father contacted his daughter for explanation

The court heard Matthews’ sister queried the amount she would be receiving from her mother’s estate and that the presenter, who has also worked for BBC Radio Scotland, had been “dismissive” of her sibling’s inquiries.

Family members eventually received copies of Janice Matthews bank statements and noticed “cashline withdrawals had substantially increased” after she had been admitted to hospital.

The court was told Matthews’ sister “analysed the transactions on her mother’s bank accounts” and after spotting around £100,000 was missing decided to contact the police.

Matthews’ father, Alistair Matthews, a retired firefighter, then contacted his daughter for an explanation in January 2022 when she admitted spending large sums for her own gain.

The fiscal said Matthews told her father: “You’re right, I’ve been shocking handling mum’s money and paperwork.

“I’ve spent what I shouldn’t and used money I shouldn’t. I wasn’t in a very good place when looking after her but I tried my best.

“I massively over-compensated and used money that I shouldn’t have but I tried my absolute best.”

She has interviewed many stars

Matthews was arrested on January 5 last year and during an interview she said she had spent money on hampers at Harvey Nichols for hospital staff and clothes for her partner.

Matthews is a former presenter of the STV2 arts magazine show Live at Five, has worked as a radio presenter with Talk 107, Forth 1 and Real Radio and was a newspaper columnist before resigning last year.

She has also worked alongside Lorraine Kelly on the STV Children’s Appeal live show and has interviewed stars including Jason Donovan, Amy Winehouse, Andy Williams, Nile Rodgers and Gary Numan.

She hosted the SNP’s digital conference in 2020, during the pandemic.

Defence agent Kieran Clegg said his now unemployed client was facing “a very serious matter” and had a “very complex home situation” regarding her two children and asked for her bail to be continued.

Sheriff Alison Stirling agreed to release Matthews on bail but told her she should “make arrangements for the absence from your household”.

Sentence was deferred for reports and a restriction of liberty order assessment to next month.

I don't understand how someone could do that and get any pleasure out of it - you clearly know that eventually you are going to get caught, it's not like you can explain it away!  Obviously it's morally wrong to steal money even if you aren't going to be caught but it's just so stupid.  

On 28/06/2024 at 11:11, ICTChris said:

I don't understand how someone could do that and get any pleasure out of it - you clearly know that eventually you are going to get caught, it's not like you can explain it away!  Obviously it's morally wrong to steal money even if you aren't going to be caught but it's just so stupid.  

She'd be counting on the doolally old bint not noticing. It seems like a victimless crime to me. I'd be looking at it as an advance payment.

29 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

She'd be counting on the doolally old bint not noticing. It seems like a victimless crime to me. I'd be looking at it as an advance payment.

Sounds like a plea in mitigation…

Just now, Granny Danger said:

Sounds like a plea in mitigation…

Power of Attorney came too late for me. Just got it all in place and my Mum died. Never got a chance to abuse it. My wife has PoA for my MiL, but she's all standards this, honesty that!

35 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Power of Attorney came too late for me. Just got it all in place and my Mum died. Never got a chance to abuse it. My wife has PoA for my MiL, but she's all standards this, honesty that!

The trick there is to get your wife committed and assume the PoA for your MiL.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Given the shite she talks now, that's  not a bad idea.

You know, maybe I'm in the same position.  A week or so ago Mrs Salt and Vinegar asked me what I wanted for tea. Apparently she had been to the fish van (sign of a middle class area?) and my choice was "coddock or had".

Worrying times.

On 19/04/2024 at 13:37, RH33 said:

My parents had a timeshare, which we'd have had to take it when they died. Not sure how they offloaded it and it wasn't at any profit that's for sure.  

I have a slight worry about this. My wife’s parents have a Diamond Resorts membership type thing that I know they bought into and pay annual fees for. They have mentioned on several occasions that it would be passed on to us (not their other children) despite us trying to make it very clear we don’t want it as we would never use it. Can see us getting lumped with it and having to pay some exorbitant fee to get rid of it, not really sure how it works tbh.

13 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I have a slight worry about this. My wife’s parents have a Diamond Resorts membership type thing that I know they bought into and pay annual fees for. They have mentioned on several occasions that it would be passed on to us (not their other children) despite us trying to make it very clear we don’t want it as we would never use it. Can see us getting lumped with it and having to pay some exorbitant fee to get rid of it, not really sure how it works tbh.

How did these things work during lockdown? No foreign travel and any UK accommodation would presumably been hideously insufficient in number to accommodate potential users?

Did the full management fees still have to be paid?

2 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Might be worth paying for some legal advice now to prevent massive costs in the future.

To be honest I have no idea. I don’t know exactly what level they have bought into etc. All I know is they pay an annual fee to Diamond Resorts and they can pass it down. There surely must be a way of rejecting it if they attempt to pass it down to us.

3 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

45 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

Might be worth paying for some legal advice now to prevent massive costs in the future.

Some of the best advice you’ll ever get on P&B.

27 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

To be honest I have no idea. I don’t know exactly what level they have bought into etc. All I know is they pay an annual fee to Diamond Resorts and they can pass it down. There surely must be a way of rejecting it if they attempt to pass it down to us.

Arson. The plus is, if you play it right, the rest of the building might pay you to do it.

10 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Some of the best advice you’ll ever get on P&B.

Arson. The plus is, if you play it right, the rest of the building might pay you to do it.

Maybe not been clear, apologies. Diamond Resorts (what they have bought into at least) isn’t a specific property. They’ve bought into a scheme where you pay annually and get points that you can use at any of the DR properties.

5 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Maybe not been clear, apologies. Diamond Resorts (what they have bought into at least) isn’t a specific property. They’ve bought into a scheme where you pay annually and get points that you can use at any of the DR properties.

Just burn them all down. it’s likely more than 50% of the owner would reward you,

On a more serious note, in the UK your concern is very real, do consult that lawyer. Even if you got off the hook for being named, a perpetual contract could simply drain the estate.