United 🟠 v Rovers 🔵 - the final top of the table clash

12 hours ago, mrpaddyx said:

Inconsistency, they can't seem to string a bunch of wins together, I'm sure I read somewhere that their best winning streak in the league this season is 3 games. Also depsite the win on Saturday we still have 7 points in the head to head matches compared to their 4.

They did start the season with a 14 game unbeaten run, that’s quite consistent. 

Truth is both Rovers and United have produced the kind of points tally that would usually win you the league. 

10 minutes ago, Heid_The_Baw said:

Fair play to Utd.  We have had our luck against them all season tbh.  We have only ourselves to blame as usual.  At points we could have been 7 clear throughout the season but blew it every time.  Thats now 7 times we could have been on top with a decent advantage.  
Murray, as per got it wrong.
Where is our strongest holding midfielder Matthews?  Where was our defence with two ACTUAL centre halfs?  Brown is NOT a centre half.  He is not that great playing there, and he is restricted when he plays there.  He is much better ahead of the defence.
Hamilton should have started.  We know they have a high amount of possession at home, and we would need to hit on the break.  Hamilton would have held up for others to get forward.  He would also have won us set pieces in doing so, and would have niggled them more at the back.
When is Murray going to start leaving someone up the field when defending set pieces?  We have no out ball and the opposition just come straight back at us!  
This one is definitely on the manager.  United are definitely a stronger squad but they should be with 4 times anyone elses budget.  The fact we are running them to the wire is unreal, but we must improve!  Drastically.

Off the top of my head, I can think of as many occasions where Murray changed the game to get us wins. It works both ways. Murray isn't going to be infallible and I don't think he got it right on Saturday by any means, but at the same time I don't think it's fair to suggest that he's a hindrance. 

9 hours ago, Ray Patterson said:

This is something that has got much worse recently (certainly since Covid), seems to be a fair few idiots in our support too that like the Colombian marching powder. 

Aye, I have been to a few Premiership and Championship games this season. There always seemed to be a suspiciously large queue for the cubicles before the game.

1 hour ago, L. Brilliant said:

It is. Putting Turner at 6 as the 'shield' in front of Brown was an absolute gift to United who could float it to Moult and even Watt all afternoon. 

Honestly, for all the talk of United being rattled, they just kept it simple and kept their heads while we, especially the manager, beat ourselves with this eccentric (overthought?) starting XI. No hindsight required for that.

It was Murray's comments after the game which had me. Something along the lines of, IF our shot that hits bar is at the other end of Tannadice because of the slope, it goes in. Eh??

26 minutes ago, Glen Scotia said:

It was Murray's comments after the game which had me. Something along the lines of, IF our shot that hits bar is at the other end of Tannadice because of the slope, it goes in. Eh??

Mcglynn still wins the bizarre statement award for

so many corners, when a team gets that many corners it should be a penalty……or words to that effect 

1 hour ago, Wacky said:

Mcglynn still wins the bizarre statement award for

so many corners, when a team gets that many corners it should be a penalty……or words to that effect 

Three corners - a penalty.

Did you never have that rule when playing shooty-in when you were younger?

Anyway, at least the gadge who threw the bottle has been identified and banned.

United fans still not happy. Few fans that would fit nicely into the Old Firm moaning brigade 

7 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

As swift as you could hope for from the club. Fully deserved if you're going to take bottles in and chuck them at players in a huff because they celebrate in front of you.

38 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

I’ve never heard of that corner thing before. 
I’m delighted the bottle throwing bawbag was caught. There’s no excuse for that behaviour in any way. 

Glad that someone has been identified and banned, there was more than one offender though. Absolute cretins.

We were well beaten on the day, a very disappointing afternoon all round. 

Never even saw the pull on Stanton's shirt at the game. Should have been a penalty but there is no way I would want to rely on VAR for the call. Ref or linesman should be able to see it but didn't so has to go down as poor refereeing.  

Tony Watts goal was a class finish and great centre forward play from both him and Moult. We struggled with them both all afternoon, they really are top players when they perform like that.

The throwing of objects at the United players was an absolute disgrace and an embarrassment to all decent fans. Hope all guilty parties are found and dealt with appropriately. 

Lewis Moults boot to Murrays face was similar to other incidents we have seen where red cards have been given. Most notably for us was the one against Liam Dick in the League Cup game at Easter Road.... with the same referee. Not a rule that I agree with but, again, shows the shite refereeing we have to put up with.

The penalty was clever play by Moult and stupidity from Watson. 50/50 as to whether it was a penalty or not but the ref was given the opportunity to give it when Watson put his arms around Moult. I'd be screaming for it at the other end and we have been given softer ones this season. Killed the game as a contest. Again, got to credit Moult, it was brilliant forward play.

All in all, the better team on the day won. IMO that has been the case in every game between the two this season.

The title is still there for the taking but we are now into must win territory for our next 3 games. 

All the best United fans, play like that over the next 5 games and we'll have no chance of catching you.

1 hour ago, Specky Ginger said:

Wow, never thought about that for 30 years, but yeah we played by those rules too

1 hour ago, Specky Ginger said:

They use that rule at Ibrox. Home team only ofcourse 

54 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

As swift as you could hope for from the club. Fully deserved if you're going to take bottles in and chuck them at players in a huff because they celebrate in front of you.

Well done to Raith for this. I'm not against people sneaking in a wee cheeky bottle, however, the throwing (which isn't a Raith problem it's a society problem) is a big no and just plays into the hands of governing bodies of not allowing the sale of alcohol in our grounds.

Football is built on passion and emotion and if you can't control yourself in these situations then, I recommend these people stay away from our game. 

Clubs can't search every fan entering their ground, clubs can't stop fans throwing objects or racial shouts it is Impossible to do so. All that can be done is identify these individuals and deal with them and Raith have done that.

This 'fan' shouldn't be a stain on the Raith Rovers name 

20 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Clubs absolutely can search every single person who enters the stadium.

They can but it would cost an absolute fortune getting enough qualified staff and also piss a hell of a lot of people who are just going to watch a game. Start regularly searching 10 year olds and watch your sales of child tickets and future fans plummet.

Those who are also a bit dodgy know how to get around the searches, let’s be honest their not exactly hard to manipulate. 

Searches as they stand are little more than performance art, they do little but stop the odd can of juice someone genuinely didn’t realise were banned and the odd fuckwit who didn’t hide their bottle/smoke bomb well enough, they go back to the pub and their mates keep them right for next time.

2 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

The first three goals Raith scored against Utd this season had their players noising up Utd fans much worse so no excuse for a glass bottle to be thrown as was tame in comparison from Utd players on Saturday 

Edited by ShedruleFTD83

54 minutes ago, ShedruleFTD83 said:

The first three goals Raith scored against Utd this season had their players noising up Utd fans much worse so no excuse for a glass bottle to be thrown as was tame in comparison from Utd players on Saturday 

Thanks for this incredible analysis. 

Can this thread be locked yet?

1 hour ago, ShedruleFTD83 said:

I don’t think anybody has tried to claim  the bottle throwing was justified and I don’t even think anyone has complained about the United players celebrating in front of us. 
We know we dish it out so we’ve got to suck it up. 

2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Clubs absolutely can search every single person who enters the stadium.

@CaspianChris and the ArabTRUST, amongst others, were asking how someone could be able to get into the away end with the half bottle.  I’ve not heard from anyone that has a workable suggestion that would prevent people with half bottles concealed in their underwear from entering the ground with the item remaining undetected.

1 hour ago, ShedruleFTD83 said:

Spot on.  We give it we've got to take it back.  The person responsible has been banned.  Hopefully a precedent has been set and anyone else who thinks its OK to attempt to assault a player will think again.
No need for anyone, fan, director, player, officials, anyone to go to a game and be assaulted.