Rovers v Airdrie - Tuesday 09/04

1 hour ago, rough diamond said:

Watched the stream till literally 10 seconds before Lewis scored as I was heading out for N/S.

Frizz's 2 goals came from the defence backing off, fear of what big Nico would do or underestimating Frizz, it's hard to say but one person who can't be blamed is the keeper.

2nd half I don't think Rovers resurgence was down to Murray's tactical 3 subs, I think it was down to us pulling our midfield from their high line that caused all the problems 1st half, we did the same in the last game with Ayr and got punished, could've been the same tonight.

Haven't see Lewis' goal yet but the other 3 were belters.

Friday is massive for us as well as Saturday, Utd win and we beat Dunfermline then GD makes the playoffs almost certain.

Hopefully plenty to celebrate in hospitality on Saturday.

Good luck for Saturday 👍

7 hours ago, SanStarko said:

Well that went well.  I wasn't that upset at the starting line up and thought we were doing ok, nothing spectacular but it was fairly even.  Then we decided that letting Frizzell just waltz through the pitch with nobody putting a challenge in or closing him down was fine, and he promptly scores.  Not great, but only 1-0 down, we can still get back into this, then we just go and do the exact same thing again and we're 2 down.  Doesn't really matter what tactics you're going with if you defend like that.

Second half, full Murrayball and we looked really up for it for the first 5 minutes, then it looked like Airdrie adjusted to it and nullified it for a bit.  We got it going again and had a lot of the ball, but we didn't really have a lot of shots on target.  Balls into the box which the Airdrie defence dealt with, or balls that there was nobody in a blue shirt to actually attack.  We got the goal and if Connolly's shot goes in off the post then maybe we'd have went onto win.  But playing that style you're always liable to get hit on the counter and Airdrie were constantly looking to do just that.  Airdrie had it spot on second half, wasting time where they could, being solid in defence and then trying to hit on the counter at every opportunity.  Well deserved win.

In the second half, the number of times players cut back on themselves rather than driving on and trying to beat their man was pretty frustrating. Connolly did this several times, and it either killed the attacking move or blunted the attack with long crosses from deep and our now numerous forwards desperately trying to stay onside.

I recall Murrayball working quite a few times for Airdrie in League 1, where they were a couple of goals down and came back to rattle in a few goals and win, but I haven’t been present at a game where it’s happened for us yet.

A disappointing night.

Now we move onto Saturday. We’ve had a bit more joy against Partick Thistle this season than we’ve had against Airdrie, hopefully that continues. Would be nice if Morton could so us a favour and keep us in the hunt for the title.

8 hours ago, SerieA said:

Goalkeeping expert or ex keeper I’m sure I’ve been told before

Me? I played in goals from primary school until early 40s, but anyone with a tiny wee bit of knowledge about the game in general wouldn't be slagging Dabrowski for not getting near three excellent finishes. 

2 minutes ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

Me? I played in goals from primary school until early 40s, but anyone with a tiny wee bit of knowledge about the game in general wouldn't be slagging Dabrowski for not getting near three excellent finishes. 

Not you.Think you’d quotes someone else before I quoted you. That person has a hatred for Dabrowski 

Edited by SerieA

10 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

If that shot that hits the post goes in we probably get something from the game, but it didn’t, so another defeat to Airdrie. First half was poor.

And IF the header from Janny in the second half at two nil up minutes before you scored had gone in with the keeper rooted to the spot instead of being a couple of cm past the post then your "fans" who left early would have left even earlier.

3 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Is McCabe's decision on still playing likely to impact on his next move? Can't see him still playing for a Premiership team.

I think so, him and Fordyce are only turning 32 in the summer I'm not so sure they'll want to stop playing so soon think they'll feel they've got another couple of years left at championship level but money talks at the end of the day. Aberdeen looks an unlikely destination, possibly a move down south? I'm sure they'll be interest in them.

So much chat around us bottling it. Do you not need to generally be in the lead to bottle it? Dundee Utd have led the way for about 90% of the season and we’ve kept tucked in behind them. Folk desperate for a wee dig, and that’s fine, but at least make it one that’s accurate. 

For 30 minutes or so Airdrie were unplayable, they had Raith on a stick,  nothing fancy just basic passing to an open teammate and moving the ball around, seems simple, but was very effective,  The main difference between the sides and I have mentioned it before,  Murray is a very predictable manager with a similar signing policy..    Airdrie played out from the back with Fordyce basically passing out by kicks all game, him, Watson, Ballantyne et al,  comfortable with that proven philosophy, knowing that if they kept at it, the cumbersome Hamilton up top would struggle to close them down,    flip that over to the Raith centre backs and full backs,  they are all "siege" Murray type defenders the bigger and more physical the better,  but are hopelessly uncomfortable with passing the ball around,  add to that a committed high press by the Airdrie forwards,  that gives opposing teams confidence,  what's up with Dylan,  a wonderful maverick player for Airdrie albeit in League 1,  Championship is a massive step up as Falkirk will find also,    

Raith are a good side as their league position shows,  we still Have United to play yet at home in a couple of weeks,  if we are in the playoffs , do we play our strongest team or play the boys at that time...

This is one crazy league and you have to love it..

1 hour ago, AJ77 said:

I think so, him and Fordyce are only turning 32 in the summer I'm not so sure they'll want to stop playing so soon think they'll feel they've got another couple of years left at championship level but money talks at the end of the day. Aberdeen looks an unlikely destination, possibly a move down south? I'm sure they'll be interest in them.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if he calls it a day this summer. Could be totally wrong but just got a feeling.

Either way if he was to get a great job opportunity I don't think there's any way he'd turn it down to have another year being a squad player in the Championship. If Aiken had been fit this year I'm not sure how much he'd have played. He clearly rates McMaster and if we could get another quality midfielder in next season then he may be happy to drop out. He still has quality on the ball but his legs are going a bit, he can sit in midfield but I don't see him able to do the high pressing game that ultimately he wants us to be playing. If we make the improvements to the squad that I'm sure he'll want to make then he'll not be much more than a back-up, which then begs the question why bother at all.

Fordyce on the other hand could definitely play another couple of years as a solid Championship centre-back. So he may be the one that makes it harder for Rhys to leave, assuming he wanted his own management team.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

47 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

So much chat around us bottling it. Do you not need to generally be in the lead to bottle it? Dundee Utd have led the way for about 90% of the season and we’ve kept tucked in behind them. Folk desperate for a wee dig, and that’s fine, but at least make it one that’s accurate. 

I agree. I don’t think Dundee United fans are in any position to be slagging Raith. They should have absolutely waltzed through this league but have instead become entangled in the title challenge that should never have been. 

Raith should be proud of what they have achieved this season. There have been some great memories made for your fans and the title is still there. 

Edited by Diamond1924

2 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Is McCabe's decision on still playing likely to impact on his next move? Can't see him still playing for a Premiership team.

When it comes to the ladder to the higher leagues,  do you not think Murray is a couple of rungs further up to get a bigger gig,    

11 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I actually wouldn't be surprised if he calls it a day this summer. Could be totally wrong but just got a feeling.

Either way if he was to get a great job opportunity I don't think there's any way he'd turn it down to have another year being a squad player in the Championship. If Aiken had been fit this year I'm not sure how much he'd have played. He clearly rates McMaster and if we could get another quality midfielder in next season then he may be happy to drop out. He still has quality on the ball but his legs are going a bit, he can sit in midfield but I don't see him able to do the high pressing game that ultimately he wants us to be playing. If we make the improvements to the squad that I'm sure he'll want to make then he'll not be much more than a back-up, which then begs the question why bother at all.

Fordyce on the other hand could definitely play another couple of years as a solid Championship centre-back. So he may be the one that makes it harder for Rhys to leave, assuming he wanted his own management team.

The McCabe debate,  I actually think he is still one of the best midfielders in the league and also a very good sweeper,  ,  can he play 36 games absolutely not,   not for putting him out to pasture yet,  not counting chickens just yet,  if we get into the playoffs and the pressure cranks up , I would much prefer him on the park than off it...

Just watched the highlights there, all four finishes of unreal quality, not often you see that. Although the Raith defending for Frizzells beauties is a bit "ooft"

Edited by cb_diamond

As frustrating as it was, what a belter of a game!

Genuinely cant understand why Airdrie aren't right up there with us and DU at the top, I said before the game that they have easily been the best side we have played this season and they served up the goods again.

I actually thought the Rovers line up was ok last night, however Byrne and Matthews failed to do the job they were there to do for the 2 goals in the first half. They were still really good, well taken goals but the holding midfielders job was to prevent the space that was given to Frizzell, we failed to do it and all of a sudden we are chasing the game and playing totally into Airdrie hands.

Second half I thought we were excellent up until Airdries 3rd. We moved the ball quickly and you had the feeling that we were going to do it. Connolly's effort of the post is an inch over and I think we go on to win that. 2 mins later and Airdrie break brilliantly and what a finish to kill the game.

Whilst I appreciate the increased fan base we seem to have this season, there are some folk that really shouldn't bother. Some of the chat I heard around me from so called "supporters" was absolutely moronic. This is the best Raith team probably in about 30 years, if you can't enjoy what we are watching I would suggest you find another hobby. 

League title is probably beyond us now, but promotion is still very much on the cards. We need to secure 2nd to give us every chance possible which I'm sure we will do. 

Last night was disappointing, but there is no reason for Rovers fans to be anything other than optimistic about the remainder of the season and the immediate future for the club.

10 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

As frustrating as it was, what a belter of a game!

Genuinely cant understand why Airdrie aren't right up there with us and DU at the top, I said before the game that they have easily been the best side we have played this season and they served up the goods again.

I actually thought the Rovers line up was ok last night, however Byrne and Matthews failed to do the job they were there to do for the 2 goals in the first half. They were still really good, well taken goals but the holding midfielders job was to prevent the space that was given to Frizzell, we failed to do it and all of a sudden we are chasing the game and playing totally into Airdrie hands.

Second half I thought we were excellent up until Airdries 3rd. We moved the ball quickly and you had the feeling that we were going to do it. Connolly's effort of the post is an inch over and I think we go on to win that. 2 mins later and Airdrie break brilliantly and what a finish to kill the game.

Whilst I appreciate the increased fan base we seem to have this season, there are some folk that really shouldn't bother. Some of the chat I heard around me from so called "supporters" was absolutely moronic. This is the best Raith team probably in about 30 years, if you can't enjoy what we are watching I would suggest you find another hobby. 

League title is probably beyond us now, but promotion is still very much on the cards. We need to secure 2nd to give us every chance possible which I'm sure we will do. 

Last night was disappointing, but there is no reason for Rovers fans to be anything other than optimistic about the remainder of the season and the immediate future for the club.

What is this measured, thought-out and eloquent response?! Bring on the angry face emojis.