🔴🔵 The Caley v Hamilton ⛔⛔

Just now, Moysterclass said:

That doesn't feel like a win. We really should've gone 3 up and instead we're only going to the Highlands on a 1 goal lead. Dreadful second half. 

It does feel like a win tbh. It's a positive result to take into the second leg, and we've seen what Caley changed to be more positive and it didn't really lead to many chances.

The penalty is a frustration, though, as 3-0 would be a massively different mental hurdle than 2-0.

We've got a lead to take to the Highlands and our away form is decent. I'd have bitten your hand off for that before kickoff.

Channelling KMaC from Sportsound, so many talking points from tonight and what a big, big game for the Caley on Saturday.

May investigate going up for the game -I'll keep a defibrillator handy for when I find out the train fare.

Yeah before the start I was hoping for any sort of victory which we managed to get, so has to be seen as a positive. But at half time was definitely hoping for a bit more.

That first half is up there with the best I've seen from them this season, we were still somewhat going for more, even after the 2nd which is rare, maybe the players were ignoring Rankins instructions.

But the inevitable happens, they go in for half time and come out all negative after Rankin has had a chance to properly get his words in. f**k knows what it is he actually says.

Absolute shitefest in the first.

Men against boys in the second.

Roddy needs to get a start as he hooks up well with Cammy, Lawal is another one that needs to start, for me Samuel puts in a hard shift but in the end he under achieves and Billy is far too deep for the two of them to have any effect..

But all in  all once we got on our game Hamilton looked well out of their depth and couldn't handle us, hopefully we continue the same on Saturday

Posted (edited)

I’m annoyed at myself to be slightly disappointed in a win but that second half was abysmal. Was it fitness? Was it Rankin? Was it the ICT changes? Most likely the second option.

Inverness were there for the taking in that first 45 and that’s likely going to cost us. If the ref gives that penalty (v high chance O’Hara or Henderson miss it tbf) the tie is dead and buried at 3-0.

Edited by Scotty Tunbridge

13 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

I’m annoyed at myself to be slightly disappointed in a win but that second half was abysmal. Was it fitness? Was it Rankin? Was it the ICT changes? Most likely the second option.

Inverness were there for the taking in that first 45 and that’s likely going to cost us. If the ref gives that penalty (v high chance O’Hara or Henderson miss it tbf) the tie is dead and buried at 3-0.

Don’t worry. The chances are we will play near enough the same starting 11 and be as pish as we were in 1st half again. The chances of him playing Pepple, Lawal, MacGregor together may give him a nosebleed. People and Billy is an exciting thought for a game like this but it would need a more attacking midfield. 

Accies could’ve been 4 or 5 up in that first half alone. An absolute sin we’ve only scored one in the 2nd with all that pressure.

Duffy was rightly hooked, Longstaff is an utter fraud of a footballer and Anderson must have compromising photos of the gaffer. Samuel’s starting to remind me of George Oakley in that all he wants to do is wrestle centre halves then cry to the ref when it gets dished out to him. 

Pepple and Lawal need to start the second leg, the latter is so positive and can take the ball on the turn with ease. Macgregor looked far better than Longstaff when he came on but his face doesn’t fit so fat chance of him getting a start. 

Ridgers has been steady for years but he’s had a mare for both of those goals IMO. Wonder if Ferguson’s still in charge next season if he’ll still be our number 1 

Can’t see us coming back at home but who knows 

Hamilton should have put the game to bed in the first as we were terrible, however they couldn't finish from open play, their first goal was well taken but it hit the bar and went in off Ridgers back, their second was a header in a packed goalmouth from a corner.

The players went hell for leather in the first half and were clearly gubbed as the game went on - that's potentially a worry for Saturday. We also missed Barjonas' bit of composure and ball-retention, as I can't remember us really stringing any passes together after half-time. 

Inverness managed to exploit Lewis Smith a few times and found space either side of an exposed Scott Martin, but we mostly dealt with their balls into the box fairly well. 

The second half dominance and conceding the goal does make the result seem a bit disappointing. We'll need to score on Saturday, and probably score first. 

Game of two halves but we really needed to capitalise on our good play with an equaliser. The first half was just appalling from us, Accies absolutely tan rings round us. Considering we’ve been playing the same formation since Ferguson took over it’s amazing that we all seem so uncomfortable in it. Defensive slips and mix ups, disorganised and wasteful midfield and attackers who essentially aren’t there. Dire.

Second half improved, particularly Lawal and Pepple. Lawal is a great link player and Pepple finished his goal well and didn’t put a foot wrong the whole time he was in the pitch. If they don’t both start then I don’t even know what to say.

I was really focused on my own team but Accies really did well in the first half and probably should have had a few more. The penalty shout they had was a pen and the ref just about gave it but apparently felt sorry for us.

We were great in the first half but second we were woeful and as soon as we conceded it was backs against the wall. Between players tyring and yet again the wrong substitutions we did well to see out the game.

My big concern is making the same mistakes on Saturday. Rankin has no plan B and the in game management is attorcious however, would have been more than happy with tonight's result before the game so all to play for.

Posted (edited)

As much as ICT dominated the second half, I can't really think of many clear chances they created. Whereas when we were on top we looked like scoring. 

It may be naive but I fancy us to score again on Saturday and I struggle to see ICT scoring two goals if we do. 

5-0 ICT now. 

Edited by Accies1

I would have definitely taken that before the game to be honest I would have probably of took a draw before the game tonight with how we've been at home we do tend to be better away. First Half was excellent and we probably should have killed Inverness off then Rankin's game management kills us as usual Andy Winter shouldn't play again for us he didn't look a bit interested tonight and was as good as a man down has been poor all season I honestly don't think he would get a game for most teams in the Lowland League. With how that second half went i am happy that we are taking a positive result to Inverness as they could have equalised however if we don't win on Saturday we will be looking back on the fact we didn't kill them off in the first half. Think this tie like last seasons playoff is destined for penalties.

Not to go all “Falkirk” on you, but that looked like a really poor home crowd on TV. I’d have thought you’d have got a decent proportion of your fan base out for what was quite a big game - and would have thought you’d be on a bit of a positive note given a largely successful season. Is that just indicative of how far your fan base has fallen or is the football largely awful or are there other reasons..?

The crowd has been on a downward slide for a few years now but particularly in the past year or so under Rankin fans are becoming increasingly disillusioned about what were being served up every week and staying away.

I understand how to someone looking from the outside in it would seem like a successful season, but the truth is that if we had a capable manager we wouldn’t be in League One in the first place. That and - being one of the few full time teams in the league - falling so far short ot Falkirk in the title race just isn’t acceptable.

We’ve repeatedly chucked away leads through the manager’s cluelessness and absolutely mind boggling substitutions, and with the full backing of the board it doesn’t look like changing. So some fans have said enough is enough until things improve