🔴🔵 The Caley v Hamilton ⛔⛔

4 hours ago, Ye Olde Hamiltonian said:

As soon as he brought on Redfern and Winter, he handed the initiative to Caley.

The Accies support were dreading half-time as we knew what was coming second half…a Rankin Groundhog Day.

How must Jake Hastie feel, playing well , scoring goals dropped for no reason and the likes of Winter(who last scored I think in the League Cup group stages) on before him every time.

That is a sacking offence in itself along with playing McGowan week after week.

If we go up, it will be in spite of the Dugout as he is a guy who is not learning from his mistakes.

If Inverness go all out for a couple of early goals, it will be hard to see a way back.

Our only option is to go for the first goal I feel as his Subs weaken the team every week.

As for Caley, surprised to hear about Longstaff as any time we played Cove Rangers, he was their best player against us and caused us a lot of problems.

Don't worry, there's absolutely no way Ferguson will let that happen. 

On 15/05/2024 at 21:28, sophia said:

Longstaff has the touch of an elephant with gout

That's my memory of him playing for us in L1... really a wonder he didn't make it at Liverpool

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I didn't really know how to feel at full-time and now I think I understand why that was. As far as I can see (i.e. a quick look at Wikipedia + my memory), last night was the first time we'd ever won the first leg of a play-off tie:

• 2013/14: 1-1 v Falkirk (A)
  • 2013/14: 0-2 v Hibs (H)
  • 2016/17: 0-0 v Dundee United (A)
  • 2022/23: 0-1 v Alloa (A)
  • 2022/23: 0-1 v Airdrie (A)
  • 2023/24: 2-2 v Alloa (A)
  • 2023/24: 2-1 v Inverness (H)

It's news to me that the 13/14 play-offs were the first we'd ever competed in, so if Wikipedia's got that wrong then someone feel free to jump in and correct me. 

That Hibs game is the only time we've lost a home playoff game as well.

ETA it’s also the only one we’ve not won.

Conversely, the away leg at Easter Road is the only away game we have won.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Longstaff is clearly being played in the wrong position. Ferguson seems to insist on playing him as a central midfielder. This then gives rise to the tortuous sight of him continuously turning back inside with the ball into other players who easily rob him of the ball whilst he falls onto his backside. 

23 hours ago, Girth said:

That Caley goal could be vital in the second leg. 

Can anyone see this going to ET and penalties?

I thought it might if Caley had got a draw in the first leg. It still could ofcourse but I can't see Accies not scoring. It'll be tight again I think and wouldn't like to call it. I thought Ferguson's chat was a bit baffling about needing one goal in 90mins to take it to extra time, factually he's correct if they don't concede but it also suggests he doesn't believe they'll score more. I think he knows he has a  side bereft of firepower, I'll caveat that with most Accies fans hating on Rankin and him doing his level best to sabotage them with his subs and tactics.

Posted (edited)

Pssst, Caley fans, don’t tell the Hamilton fans, but I’m wishing you the best of luck in this one. 

Edited by Wacky
Glaring spelling error that unusually no one pointed out to me.

2 hours ago, RiG said:

Longstaff is clearly being played in the wrong position. Ferguson seems to insist on playing him as a central midfielder. This then gives rise to the tortuous sight of him continuously turning back inside with the ball into other players who easily rob him of the ball whilst he falls onto his backside. 

He can certainly be more effective, but this is exactly what was happening the other night. He's not a central midfielder.

3 hours ago, RiG said:

He was a frustration for us in L1. Flashes of talent on the wing but his delivery was really inconsistent and he did seem to lose the ball easier than most.  In his defence though he was young then and perhaps the Liverpool tag raised our expectations of him unduly.

From the outside looking in at these 2, I though ICT were caught up in Hamilton making the game a very high tempo scrap in the first half. Half time changes with the likes of Peppil (first name Aribusitamunoipirim. Magnificent name! ) gave them a proper out ball that changed the shape of the game and they looked the better team. Can still go either way. 

Biggest issue we have is breaking down teams and scoring goals, so fully expect Hamilton to come and 'park the bus' hoping to hit us on the break..............pretty much same set up as every team we have played at home this season. Based on that and the shocking home stats its going to be a nervy afternoon.

We need to score early and avoid frustration and desperation setting in which inevitably resort to high hopefully punted balls near the box and general panic mode.

6 hours ago, RiG said:

TBF he wasn't any better as a winger

6 hours ago, Wacky said:

Pssst, Caley fans, don’t tell the Hamilton fans, but I’m wishing you the best of luck in this one. 

The Hamilton fans get an exclamation mark whereas we only get a comma.  I think that speaks volumes about who you really want to win.

On 16/05/2024 at 09:57, PB1994 said:

I think Ferguson said in the post match interview that Devine would be out on Saturday so swap Savage in for him and that’s exactly what I would go with as well.

It will absolutely not happen though.

Fergusons whole interview was baffling but the comment about only needing to win by 1 goal is mental stuff.

Yeah I don't fancy us on penalties so it has to be 2 goals on Saturday. 

This season we've only scored more then once at home 9 times in all competitions so I can totally see us winning 1-0 or actually scoring twice but they get 1 back through a brainfart at the back & it goes to penalties....