Guess the squad game

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

😆

If your first para had any basis in reasoning though, surely the place under threat would be Hanley's not Coooper's? Hanley's the one who has barely kicked a ball for a year through injury. Cooper's been fit and training throughout, he's just barely seeing any game time.

The Doak suggestion would make perfect sense if he hadn't also been injured for five months. He has though so it's a big reach to be taking him.

If Doak is now in full training, there isn’t really any harm in taking him as part of the 28 and seeing where he is at. 

Ultimately at absolute best he would only be getting some minutes off the bench if we wanted to try something different, and if he is in full training now then I imagine that’s something he would be able to do… 

If it was 23 then yeah, absolutely but 26 gives you a bit more flexibility. 

2 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Surely it can't just be me that's depressed at the thought of James Forrest getting a call up of the back of decent games against St Johnstone and Dundee after being shite for about 3 years

I mean it was also Hearts, Kilmarnock and Rangers, and it’s also largely because of the injury issues we have. 

3 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I mean it was also Hearts, Kilmarnock and Rangers, and it’s also largely because of the injury issues we have. 

He didn't play particularly well against Hearts or Rangers tbh.  He's going to be 33 and he's not going to bring anything to the squad

2 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

He didn't play particularly well against Hearts or Rangers tbh.  He's going to be 33 and he's not going to bring anything to the squad

He was very good against Rangers. 

I can’t wait for the “why hasn’t X player who plays for my team been called up, he’s had a great season”. When in reality he’s had a decent season, fans of English Championship clubs are the best at this although a certain Govan club and their English keeper have gave them a run for their money today. 

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

If Doak is now in full training, there isn’t really any harm in taking him as part of the 28 and seeing where he is at. 

Ultimately at absolute best he would only be getting some minutes off the bench if we wanted to try something different, and if he is in full training now then I imagine that’s something he would be able to do… 

If it was 23 then yeah, absolutely but 26 gives you a bit more flexibility. 

Is there any evidence that he's "in full training" though? 'This is Anfield' reported on Saturday that "Doak made a welcome return to parts of training, however, after undergoing surgery to correct a knee problem in December". He's literally joined the first team full squad for training for the first time in five months on Saturday and only took a limited part in it (may have been as much to be there when Klopp said his goodbyes as anything else). There was talk of him perhaps featuring in a post season match for the u18's next week. That doesn't sound like someone who is ready to be taken to Germany.

I completely agree with the merits of taking him to Germany as we did with Gilmour and Patterson in 2021 if he was fit. I'd 100% agree with that. But he's not fit and you may as well take him as a kitboy on a tourist mission if it's just to have him in and around the squad.

I'm no great fan of James Forrest over the piece but he's fit and in form. Taking him as a potential option of the bench makes far more sense at this stage. I'd assume we wouldn't take both of them (unless Armstrong doesn't make it I suppose but even if not I think there are better options than Doak at this stage.. I'd rather take a fully fit Conway or Lennon Miller.)

I'd take Forrest simply for the scenario of having to win the last game and losing with 20 minutes to go, so you go hell for leather and stick him in at RWB.

I dont see the point of taking Porteous, Hendry, McKenna, Hanley, Souttar and Cooper to fill 2 positions. I think one of them has to miss out. All things equal I think its a tight call between Cooper and Souttar, but Cooper maybe brings more to the squad as a 5th choice. If Hanley's not fit enough then obviously he's the one to miss out.

2 hours ago, Meeniedee said:

i think the original 23 speaks for itself..but the 3 extra squad players...why dont we include 3 of the 4 nominees for the young player of the year we all know that they wont get a sniff of game time but it would be good for them and possibly us in the future to get them involved now...

Because the extra places let you pick players who might actually play.

Gunn
Gordon 
Clark

Ralston 
McCrorie 

Robbo 
Taylor 

KT
Hendry 
Porteous
Cooper 
McKenna 
Hanley 
Souttar 

Calmac 
Christie 
Gilmour 
McLean 

McGinn
McSauce 
Armstrong 
Forrest 

Adams 
Dykes 
Shanks 
Conway 

Possibly Barron for Conway.

Gunn, Gordon, Clark

McCrorie, Ralston, Hendry, Porteous, Cooper, Hanley, McKenna, Tierney, Robertson, Taylor

Gimour, McGregor, McGinn, Armstrong, McLean, Jack, McTominay

Shankland, Dykes, Adams, Christie, Forrest, Fraser

Turnbull instead of Fraser - if Clark still hates Fraser for being a c**t

10 hours ago, ArabFC said:

I'd take Forrest simply for the scenario of having to win the last game and losing with 20 minutes to go, so you go hell for leather and stick him in at RWB.

Hmm, might work if its Kilmarnock we're up against. 

Souttar covers RCB, Cooper covers CB , Hanley covers CB and McKenna covers LCB.   So it may be that cooper or hanley misses out. Got a feeling he will take all of them. You could also argue there is not much point in taking Taylor, if something happens to Tierney or Robertson, I think McKenna would come in.

GK Gunn, Gordon, Clark

DF Ralston, Johnston, Porteous, Hendry, Souttar, McKenna, Cooper, Tierney, Robertson, Taylor

MF Gilmour, McGregor, McGinn, McTominay, McLean, Armstrong, Christie, Forrest, Jack

FW Dykes, Adams, Shankland, Fraser

12 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Is there any evidence that he's "in full training" though? 'This is Anfield' reported on Saturday that "Doak made a welcome return to parts of training, however, after undergoing surgery to correct a knee problem in December". He's literally joined the first team full squad for training for the first time in five months on Saturday and only took a limited part in it (may have been as much to be there when Klopp said his goodbyes as anything else). There was talk of him perhaps featuring in a post season match for the u18's next week. That doesn't sound like someone who is ready to be taken to Germany.

I completely agree with the merits of taking him to Germany as we did with Gilmour and Patterson in 2021 if he was fit. I'd 100% agree with that. But he's not fit and you may as well take him as a kitboy on a tourist mission if it's just to have him in and around the squad.

I'm no great fan of James Forrest over the piece but he's fit and in form. Taking him as a potential option of the bench makes far more sense at this stage. I'd assume we wouldn't take both of them (unless Armstrong doesn't make it I suppose but even if not I think there are better options than Doak at this stage.. I'd rather take a fully fit Conway or Lennon Miller.)

Appears I know feck all. 😆