19. Liam Cooper
20. Greg Taylor
21. Zander Clark
22. Ross McCrorie
23. Kenny McLean
24. Connor Barron
25. John Souttar
26. James Forrest

Optimistic on Armstrong. I'm assuming Jack's been away from competitive action too long to be considered when he's not a starting level player. I'm taking Hanley. He's clearly physically fit and with McKenna, Cooper and Souttar in the squad too there's enough cover.

Despite peddling the belief for months that Gordon needed to play a lot more football to displace Kelly I've allowed myself to pick him. He's playing again tonight so he's going to end up having played three or four of Hearts last half dozen games. It's harsh on Kelly though.
Added - Gordon left on the bench today again so his season finishes with 3 League games and 4 Scottish Cup ones, three of which were against lower league opposition. Has he done enough to get in?

Hard to ignore James Forrest's last month surge into contention when there's a lack of alternatives. I think he gets the nod over Fraser which will confirm Fraser's international career is over. Unless there's a late Road to Damascus re-commitment from Elliot Anderson (in the Newcastle team tonight) anyway. I listed my squad on here on April 23rd along with another half dozen fringe candidates for spots and I never mentioned Forrest. That's how quickly he's come in from the cold in the last month! Maybe Doak would have got that shout if he'd played since Xmas but he hasn't. I assume Jacob Brown's still out and won't play for Luton this weekend. Ross Stewart's recovery for a player who wasn't actually in the squad before he got injured and hasn't started a game in a year is too late. I suppose there is an outside chance for Kevin Nisbet who is fit but has played only 25 mins since January if he wanted another forward at the expense of a centre back. 

EDIT - I think that's exactly the same squad @Butters Scotch has posted while I was typing. 😆
RE-EDIT - Well it was before he edited his to put Jack in rather than Cooper.

SQUAD EDIT - Given the press (or at least The Sun) are saying Hickey is definitely out I've edited him out. I already had three right backs in my 26 anyway so no extra right back needed. I've added Connor Barron since it seems to be common knowledge the SFA have enquired about his fitness and availability. If Ryan Jack comes in from the cold to play in the Scottish Cup Final and does well (he was an unused sub today) then he will come into the mix too.

So as it stands I've got 25 if Kelly and either Doak or Jack drop out. Barron is wrong.

26 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Was weird that so many people picked Barron purely on the basis of a story about him being one of the 40ish guys whose fitness the SFA checked up on.

Yeah, guilty. In hindsight not sure why I allowed myself to be influenced with that. I nearly switched Johnston for McCrorie yesterday but left it.

I would never have predicted Doak anyway though.

27 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Was weird that so many people picked Barron purely on the basis of a story about him being one of the 40ish guys whose fitness the SFA checked up on.

Half the bbc pundits had him and Danny Armstrong in their final squads

10 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Half the bbc pundits had him and Danny Armstrong in their final squads

They all seemed to have him in as an RWB option too, which suggests to me exactly why they are pundits and not coaches. There's no way Armstrong could play the RWB role in this Scotland team.

I think Barron makes sense if Jack doesn't make it. We just don't have another player of that type (from what I hear of him). That's why I had him in the 28, but not in the 26 if Jack is ready.

On 16/05/2024 at 14:42, AndyDD said:

Gunn, Gordon, Clark
Porteous, Hanley, Hendry, McKenna, Cooper, Souttar
Tierney
Robertson, Taylor, Ralston, McCrorie, Johnston
McGinn, McTominay, McGregor, Gilmour, McLean
Christie, Armstrong, Forrest
Adams, Dykes, Shankland

That's my guess. 

If it was what I wanted, it'd be much the same, but I'd have Fraser in and drop a CB (Souttar, I think) and I'd probably go with Doig over Taylor. 

25. Nae bad. 

Didnae see the inclusion of Jack or Doak coming. Excited by the later.

Posted (edited)

I think Doak makes sense for a lot of reasons:

A) he's unusually talented

B) Clarke obviously see's him as a near future squad member, and a summer tournament is a valuable opportunity to integrate him

C) Robbo is there to support the introduction.

D) we had extra space available

E) he's different from what we already have

F) he's had a frustrating season, and having battled back to fitness this could be an important psychological boost 

G) he'll be fresh

H) English granny?

For reasons B and D I'd also predicted that Max Johnson and Connor Barron might be in there, but maybe McCrorie fills both these positions, which is handy for a back up player.

I reckon we have too many goalkeepers and central defenders, and that's what will drop out.

Edited by allyo

8 minutes ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

One incorrect, I had Jacob Brown in as I thought Clarke was a fan of him.

All the others I was fairly certain would be included including Doak and Forrest.

He's injured though. He can be as much a fan as you like if he's not fit, he's not going.

13 minutes ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

Thats why I got one wrong then!

Did anyone get it right? I'm guessing no-one with maybe a few who got 27/28 or 25/26 - however it was done in the end. I'd have got it right if I'd put any effort in obviously...

11 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Did anyone get it right? I'm guessing no-one with maybe a few who got 27/28 or 25/26 - however it was done in the end. I'd have got it right if I'd put any effort in obviously...

Well given we were only naming 26 and Clarke named 28 then the most anyone could get would be 26/28. Not sure anyone did. I got 25 and certainly others did. I fell for the Connor Barron rumours ahead of Jack as I didn't think Jack was fit enough. If he ultimately drops Kelly and Doak I'll remain on 25. I'll drop to 24 or 23 if either / both of those go.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/05/2024 at 20:42, Skyline Drifter said:

1. Angus Gunn
2. Anthony Ralston
3. Andy Robertson
4. Scott McTominay
5. Grant Hanley
6. Kieran Tierney
7. John McGinn
8. Callum McGregor
9. Lyndon Dykes
10. Che Adams
11. Ryan Christie
12. Craig Gordon
13. Jack Hendry
14. Billy Gilmour
15. Ryan Porteous
16. Scott McKenna
17. Stuart Armstrong
18. Lawrence Shankland
19. Liam Coooper
20. Greg Taylor
21. Zander Clark
22. Ross McCrorie
23. Kenny McLean
24. Connor Barron
25. John Souttar
26. James Forrest

Optimistic on Armstrong. I'm assuming Jack's been away from competitive action too long to be considered when he's not a starting level player. I'm taking Hanley. He's clearly physically fit and with McKenna, Cooper and Souttar in the squad too there's enough cover.

Despite peddling the belief for months that Gordon needed to play a lot more football to displace Kelly I've allowed myself to pick him. He's playing again tonight so he's going to end up having played three or four of Hearts last half dozen games. It's harsh on Kelly though.
Added - Gordon left on the bench today again so his season finishes with 3 League games and 4 Scottish Cup ones, three of which were against lower league opposition. Has he done enough to get in?

Hard to ignore James Forrest's last month surge into contention when there's a lack of alternatives. I think he gets the nod over Fraser which will confirm Fraser's international career is over. Unless there's a late Road to Damascus re-commitment from Elliot Anderson (in the Newcastle team tonight) anyway. I listed my squad on here on April 23rd along with another half dozen fringe candidates for spots and I never mentioned Forrest. That's how quickly he's come in from the cold in the last month! Maybe Doak would have got that shout if he'd played since Xmas but he hasn't. I assume Jacob Brown's still out and won't play for Luton this weekend. Ross Stewart's recovery for a player who wasn't actually in the squad before he got injured and hasn't started a game in a year is too late. I suppose there is an outside chance for Kevin Nisbet who is fit but has played only 25 mins since January if he wanted another forward at the expense of a centre back. 

EDIT - I think that's exactly the same squad @Butters Scotch has posted while I was typing. 😆
RE-EDIT - Well it was before he edited his to put Jack in rather than Cooper.

SQUAD EDIT - Given the press (or at least The Sun) are saying Hickey is definitely out I've edited him out. I already had three right backs in my 26 anyway so no extra right back needed. I've added Connor Barron since it seems to be common knowledge the SFA have enquired about his fitness and availability. If Ryan Jack comes in from the cold to play in the Scottish Cup Final and does well (he was an unused sub today) then he will come into the mix too.

So looks like I'm getting only 22 here. That said without running through the whole thread, I doubt anyone had Tommy Conway and Lewis Morgan in their 26 did they? So 24 is the realistic maximum. And I dont think anyone other than me thought Kelly was going over Gordon (and I didnt even have the courage to actually pick him in this despite saying even in the post narrative that Kelly would likely get in!). I got the Barron / Jack call wrong though.

Nobody foresaw Dykes being the one to miss with injury 2 weeks ago. Along with Porteous and McCrorie the first squad members to finish club games and fully fit at that stage.

On 18/05/2024 at 00:27, 2426255 said:

My Euro's pick🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Kelly, Gunn, Laidlaw (3)

Ralston, Livramento, Lindsay, Cooper, McKenna, Hendry, Deas, Tierney, Robertson, Taylor, Wallace (11)

McGregor, Gilmour, McTominay, McGinn, Christie , McLean, McCowan, Forrest, Barron (9)

Dykes, Murray, Doak, Shankland, Danny Armstrong (5)

Let's see

• I got Kelly, Gunn, Ralston, Cooper, McKenna, Hendry, Tierney, Robertson and Taylor then also McGregor, Gilmour, McTominay, McGinn, Christie, McLean, Forrest, and Shankland. [17]
  • I didn't get Laidlaw, Livramento, Lindsay, Deas, Wallace, McCowan, Barron, Dykes, Murray, Doak and Armstrong. [11]

Not bad, not bad - close, but no cigar. I got Kelly, Forrest and Souttar right so that's probably worth double points which takes me up to 20 points plus an extra 2 for being me, so my final score is 22 and so yes on reflection I'm quite happy and satisfied with that performance and feel my standing within this community has been further enhanced.