Clyde FC Season 24/25

Apart from conceding from a corner (duh), that has been easy. They look like a side full of trialists and we look cohesive with a gameplan.

Redfern and Connell have been terrific but you can just see the difference in quality across the pitch from Duffy's duds.

Though 19 was Connor Young then remembered we’d released him. 16 does look a bit like Flynn Duffy, but it can’t be him because his mum heard some of our fans swearing at a game last season so he wouldn’t sign for us.

Anyway, sounds like a very decent start to pre-season tonight. I know it means not a jot but having a good core there from last year should hopefully mean we’ll be able to hit the ground running this season. Will be interested to hear how the new guys got on. Sounds like Redfern had a good game.

Just back from Palmerston and took the opportunity to stand on Scottish football's best terrace.

Now, I know it's only a friendly in June. I know QotS had four trialists. I know the game doesn't really matter so we shouldn't read too much into it.

But Clyde are definitely winning League Two.

Redfern, Connell, Rennie worked really well. The new players all made good contributions and the whole team played well. Ross Lyon at left back did fine, but the issue is still the need to cut onto the right foot, which broke down a couple of attacks. Need a left footer over there to balance the team.

Compared to what was running about in Clyde shirts last summer this is a very, very good start. The defence from kick-off is one I'd be happy to see playing in league games, and then there's a bit of depth there by being able to move McKay back and bring big Logan on. As a starting XI and a squad, this is miles different from last year.

Lots of playing out from the back, and the players looked perfectly comfortable with it. A few good attacks after lengthy passing moves.

So, it's just a June friendly and I'm not getting carried away. Not getting carried away at all. But the league is in the bag. Book the open top bus.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Whatever the state of the QotS team, it's impossible to not be positive after that. We maybe can't judge ourself against the opposition, or the nature of the game, but we can certainly judge the newer elements of the Clyde team against the remnants of last season. Every new signing clearly has something to offer and I've no idea what our best eleven will be (maybe McCall wants that flexibility by design).

Connell for me was the standout, he did a bit of everything as a centre forward. Ran in behind, dropped off the front, held the ball up superbly. Of the new boys, I didn't know much beforehand about Redfern (technical winger who was happy taking the full back on the outside, or the inside) or Lyon (the most unspectacularly neat and tidy player I think I have ever seen; just kept shuttling the ball around the pitch with 5/10 yard passes).

It's great to watch a real right back. And McCall has clearly managed to get inside Rennie's head.

The winger who came on as a trialist was nippy enough but the game was dead by then. The other one (aforementioned Zinchenko) played centre mid, where we are obviously at our strongest, so I'm not convinced he's worth pursuing, unless he does actually double as a left back.

I'm ready for Civil Service Strollers to bring me back down to Earth, but tonight was a really enjoyable game.

I remember feeling a similar kind of buzz to DoingThe42 after we played Ayr off the park in the Challenge Cup a decade ago, in what was Barry Ferguson's first competitive match in charge. As a result, I'll be keeping my optimism firmly in check but McCall isn't Ferguson, Darren Lyon isn't David Gray, etc. We're still a wee bit short on height, but there are some horses-for-courses options when it comes to games that require it; Rennie starting, McKay in the middle, shovelling Dunachie in there somewhere. Left back obviously remains the big priority, but hopefully we'll see another striker and wide player (any whispers about Kabia?) in the door, plus perhaps a warm body who can cover CB if Peter Grant ends up departing.

I wasn't there tonight but it's encouraging to hear reports of Connell and Redfern impressing. Encouraging to hear that we played good football as well, the situation and personnel obviously necessitated a bit more of a primitive approach last season but it'll be nice if we're entertained too.

Incredible performance dominated from start to finish, so happy I made the trip to Dumfries.

Our standout players where - Jordan Houston (yes a full back) Darren Lyon (tidy player who never made a mistake) Kyle Connell (a real ST) Marley Redfern (MOTM)

Edited by BullyWeeClydeFc

43 minutes ago, BullyWeeClydeFc said:

Incredible performance dominated from start to finish, so happy I made the trip to Dumfries.

Our standout players where - Jordan Houston (yes a full back) Darren Lyon (tidy player who never made a mistake) Kyle Connell (a real ST) Marley Redfern (MOTM)

Clyde did play well but it was a Queens team that had 4 trialists plus full of young reserve players .

Would only expect maybe 3 of that team to start in our first League game but still a good performance from Clyde

McCall is a very good manager he was my first choice for the Queens job he has a eye for a player .

He will have you at the top end of League 2 good luck for the season ahead. 

Unfortunately couldn't make yesterday but could someone outline the shape we played? The personnel makes it look like a 4-3-3 with:

- Kinnear -

- Houston - Hamilton - Howie - Lyon -

- Cuddihy - McKay - Docherty -

- Redfern - Connell - Rennie -

It's obviously early but nice to have a wee indicator of where McCall's head is at with tactics. Given how many we have signed permanently it's probably a given that we fire into the loan market for a left back and another striker. I would be hoping that we're in for Scott Williamson, who is leaving QP.