Stranraer 2024-25

26 minutes ago, ScottishLoon said:

I make that at least the second time you lot have saved McKinnon's job. 🤦‍♂️

We are your worst nightmare. Remember that. The only way to break this unfortunate cycle of doom is to allow us to win at Station Park. Two curses broken for the price of one.

Should have changed manager at the end of last season.

I'm sure a good manager would be able to get a tune out of the squad - but we can't seem to find a good manager?

I appreciate it's not time to panic yet and if we're waiting for the right candidate or don't want to make the wrong choice then fair enough.

However, there's also a risk to not making an appointment and I sense from supporter reaction that the scales have tipped towards time to be brave and make an appointment.

31 minutes ago, GallowayBlue said:

I don't think I was totally convinced before, but at this point I think we should approach Stevie Aitken, assuming he's interested in the job.

I think we played some of our best football of the last 20 years under Aitken. 
Things have changed drastically since he was in charge though, not sure if he’d be up to the task. 
Ginge was influential in bringing in the likes of Winter, Malcolm, McKeown to the club. 
Its a lot harder to go down the devisions now to recruit, between the money on offer and the chance of promotion via the pyramid, teams Stranraer become a lot less appealing. 

One positive to Aitken would be it might attract a bit of investment from Neil Watt again. 

We’re not a great team but I’m yet to see one in this league. Would only take a a few weeks of results to see us clear of bottom of the league.

All hearsay but, heard yesterday that Danny Lennon was interested.

Things didn’t end great at Clyde for him but, his record before that is pretty decent. 

An experienced manager who knows the lower leagues and hasn’t been with the club before. 
Ticks all the boxes for me. 

1 hour ago, Mattmc said:

I think we played some of our best football of the last 20 years under Aitken. 
Things have changed drastically since he was in charge though, not sure if he’d be up to the task. 
Ginge was influential in bringing in the likes of Winter, Malcolm, McKeown to the club. 
Its a lot harder to go down the devisions now to recruit, between the money on offer and the chance of promotion via the pyramid, teams Stranraer become a lot less appealing. 

One positive to Aitken would be it might attract a bit of investment from Neil Watt again. 

We’re not a great team but I’m yet to see one in this league. Would only take a a few weeks of results to see us clear of bottom of the league.

What's the story with Neil Watt investment?

There us obviously a  unique challenge to managing Stranraer (geography) and would be nervous about bringing in someone totally new to that way of working.

Would be better to avoid a third manager stepping down I think...

42 minutes ago, GallowayBlue said:

What's the story with Neil Watt investment?

There us obviously a  unique challenge to managing Stranraer (geography) and would be nervous about bringing in someone totally new to that way of working.

Would be better to avoid a third manager stepping down I think...

Neil Watt likes to look after his former players.

He’s been known to put up wages for a player or two to help his boys out. 

2 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

I would be getting on the phone to Darren Young. Good manager.

I would take him. 

Think for guys like Darren Young it’s avoid at all costs. They finish bottom and get the club relegated there’s a chance they’ll never get another job in the SPFL. 

In saying that it shouldn’t stop the club going out and trying to get someone like Darren, especially if the standard of candidate hasn’t been what they’re after. Go after people, worst they can say is no. 

41 minutes ago, Mattmc said:

Wonder if the comment from Stevie Aitken on Facebook means anything. 

65d31cfe-f8f7-47d8-a26b-e69ec82527b5.jpeg

I saw that and saw it has since been deleted - I think.

My guess is that's a sign that he won't be taking the job - going as a spectator maybe?

Edited by GallowayBlue