Ross County [6] : [1] Raith Rovers

Holy f**k this VAR process is a bit shite. 

Rovers looked out of it at 2-0 nothing seemed to come off for them tonight. County look like a team of fucking giants but got the ball down well.

Keeps Sunday interesting. 

3 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

What you selling at Starks ? Loaves and fishes mate ?

That's almost as mad as that story you told me about the loaves and fishes. 

IMG_6880.jpeg

Shades of the SF about that. Better team goes 2-0 up and it finishes 2-1. It's Ross County's to lose, but we have a chance. 

We didn't play well and the approach was wrong. Hamilton was getting very little change out of 2 CBs that were bigger than him and we just couldn't hold onto the ball. No coincidence that we looked better once Hamilton was on and we actually tried to play a bit of football rather than punting it. Nevertheless, there was a sizeable quality gap on display tonight and that's going to be very difficult to overcome in the second leg. Essentially, we have to hope County play badly. But we're still in it. 

Thought the gap between the sides was fairly significant tonight to be honest.  Bit of a reality check as to how far off that level we are.

That said, did well to get back into the game and I'm delighted to still be in it.

11 minutes ago, foreverarover said:

June to December 2023 income up 600k including 100k rise In Food and hospitality. I can only pass on what has been published. 

Sorry, how is that demonstrating food sales were up 500%?

Given:

a) Rovers' propensity to score vital goals late on

b) County's tendency to concede late on

c) County hadn't won a match away from home in eight months

I am utterly delighted to see County head home with a goal advantage.

Jack Hamilton won't start the next leg, so I expect a completely different match from them. Getting Easton, Stanton and Vaughan on the pitch at the same time, with a bit of width on the other side to switch to, could cause County some issues.

Murray deserves better up front beside him. The away performance at Pittodrie and the home win vs Rangers shows that County are at their best with Sims and Dhanda floating off Murray, but Cowie hasn't gone with that combo since the Livi game immediately after. 

2 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Sorry, how is that demonstrating food sales were up 500%?

I think the previous total was about 6k for food and we did next to no profit on hospitality. 

Screenshot_20240523_222223_PDFReader-HiRead.thumb.jpg.f127ca85519d461993a2d8a024dea063.jpg

Posted (edited)

Half-time in the tie so all to play for for Rovers.

They were caught cold a bit but the late goal will give them a bit of confidence.

I wouldn't be surprised to see extra-times and penalties if Rovers can get their tactics spot on and get that County defence turning.

Ross County deserved winners but never put things to bed. So could be a bit of doubt going into Sunday's game.

Edited by Claudia Gentile

I enjoyed the game very much.

County looked better but as others have said, they have a flaw not being able to put teams away.

The Raith Manager was correct I think in that there was a real difference in physicality. 

Usually the quick turnaround favours the premiership team. 

37 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

It’s the kind of thing I’d claim if I was trying to launder funds, to be fair. 

That's one for Rebus to investigate. 

Better team won but that was poor reflection on how we can play.

Lovely goal we scored but Mullin has to bury that chance late on. It’s more than a chance, he just needed to hit the target.

Get the long balls in the bin, the difference in physicality was massive. Need the ball down and get in behind them down the sides.

11 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

Murray deserves better up front beside him. The away performance at Pittodrie and the home win vs Rangers shows that County are at their best with Sims and Dhanda floating off Murray, but Cowie hasn't gone with that combo since the Livi game immediately after. 

Is that a diplomatic way of saying White was shite? I thought he was atrocious tonight.

Posted (edited)

Thought like everyone else that County were streets ahead for 75-80 minutes of that game in a way that proved almost everyone right who said Raith would have preferred St Johnstone.

However County didn't put the tie away (which they could have done) and they showed their vulnerability defensively.

Obviously the Rovers fans will travel with hope particularly given County's home form deserted them in the last two games. However it is hard to look past County given the gulf for so long tonight and the fact it is up here.

Edit here to add agreement that Jordan White was mince, Simon Murray could do with better support around him. Dhanda will be wasted on the bench at Tynecastle but those three centre halves for County are really crap.

Edited by BucksburnDandy