Ross County [6] : [1] Raith Rovers

1 hour ago, foreverarover said:

Utter shite. Average attendance more than doubled to average over 4k. Food sales up about 500%. Remember we got rid off Ethan Ross, Brad Spencer and Christophe Berra, Tom Lang and Jamie Mcdonald as they were high earners. All left the club for better money.

We only signed Ethan Ross on loan so that is very straw-clutchey imo.

And what a bair of ballers Lang and Spencer are btw. You'll wish you kept them 

20 minutes ago, pub car king said:

I think the previous total was about 6k for food and we did next to no profit on hospitality. 

Screenshot_20240523_222223_PDFReader-HiRead.thumb.jpg.f127ca85519d461993a2d8a024dea063.jpg

That's some increase in laundry.

4 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Yup and that was 3 of the higher earners along with Jamie Mcdonald. You are welcolm to them. You have been warned of John McGlynn and is wage structures. 

The budget county have compared to us will be massive. The laddies put up a fight tonight. No disrespect to Hamilton causes he’s a braw player but he was lost tonight. He had no help! 

Still all to play for on Sunday! 

Overall thoughts on the game - Thought County were good, real speed of moving the ball at times in the first half, crisp passing and movement, could see they were a level above.

As Murray said, we’ve not had our goal peppered but the differenc being county were clinical when they needed to be.

Dhanda gets all the plaudits, and rightly so - but I thought James Brown at right full back had a really solid game and none of our attacking options could get by him. Quick, strong and solid defensively.

For us, frustrating we took until being 2-0 down and the subs to start playing football - and we’ve given ourselves a chance for Sunday at least. Mullin should score though.

Fair play to the County fans, came down in good numbers on a dreadful night weather wise. Hope the fella enjoys his night in the cells though 😂

13 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Spencer is a fantastic player , in League 1.

Just home , thought we played ok in spells but County were just a bit better. The long balls to Hamilton really didn’t work and as crazy as it might sound I’d be tempted to start with Rudden on Sunday. 

14 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Ross is pish, Spencer is excellent and Lang would be good if he didn't spend all his time trying to win unwinnable balls. If he learned how to step off instead of trying to go through someone, he'd be much better. No regrets losing any of them.

As for the game, tough to watch for long parts, we pretended the ball was a bit potato and just got rid. When we started to play we created a wonderful goal from it. 

Credit to County fans for that trip in those conditions, safe travels home to all. They made a lot of noise all evening. 

County look a better side than us so we’ll be doing well to win up there. Still, I suppose you have to believe.

VAR really is a poorly executed shambles of a thing.

Hopefully we can do the business on Sunday. Just try and get the first goal and take it from there.

Mon the Rovers! 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, RaithRyan said:

Dhanda gets all the plaudits, and rightly so - but I thought James Brown at right full back had a really solid game and none of our attacking options could get by him. Quick, strong and solid defensively.

One of the reasons why County are in the play-offs is because Don Cowie has preferred far weaker wing-backs than the two who started tonight. Brown hasn't played much football since February. Not due to injury, but because Efete has been favoured despite not being very good. Brown was arguably County's best player in the autumn months. He is one of the few in the league who had been able to neuter Dundee's wing-back Owen Beck in a match-up. Brown's form fell off a cliff during the ill-fated Derek Adams spell and has only managed to get back in the team again recently.

Edited by bunglebonce

First half was absolutely devoid of entertainment. Second half was much better IMO.

Ross County looked very much the Premiership team and were looking comfortable at 2-0. Raith Rovers did very well to hang in there and get a goal back and still be in with a chance. Vaughan was wasted out wide IMO - always rated him as a player even if he is a wee p***k. I also wondered why Ian Murray didn't start Easton - they looked better after he was brought on.

3 hours ago, eindhovendee said:

I finished it last night, I enjoyed it but was a bit annoyed at him being a Jambo, I could swear he was a Hibee in a previous TV series and possibly a Rovers supporter in the books?

Anyway c'mon the Fifers.

In the books, Rebus wasn't much of a football fan. Siobhan Clarke was a big Hibs fan though. In the Ken Stott TV version, Rebus followed Hibs, presumably at the actor's request.

2 hours ago, foreverarover said:

Ian Rankin the author is a big Raith fan. 

Think he's a fan but not really into football (hence Rebus being similar in the books). Certainly not to the level of Val McDairmid or Gordon Brown. He did mention the Pars in one book and not in a disparaging way, so he can't be a die hard!

Fair play to the Rovers for plugging away and a lovely pass by Byrne for the goal. You sense that kept the tie alive as a 2-0 lead and being able to sit in and hit Raith on the break with Murray next week would have been ideal for Ross County. As it is, it's similar to last week and to use a well worn cliche, the first goal is vital. A County opener and you'd imagine that might seal it. 

First experience of VAR and I hate it.

Not because it got the decision wrong - it didn’t.

It just rips the soul out of football.

Would love a wee stint in the top flight as it’s been so long however it won’t sting whatsoever if it’s not to be. The Championship is class.

We're still in the tie, but we really didn't offer nearly enough. 

You can't spent 75 minutes shelling balls up hoping that one of them bounces off of Jack Hamilton while the rest of the side are sitting incredibly deep. There was a spell in the second half where County were knocking the ball about for fun and we never looked close to getting it back. 

We simply have to start with the team which ended today. County don't look as comfortable when we get the ball on the deck compared to when it's an aerial assault. I'd fully expect County to get the job done in the second leg but it's absolutely vital we start positively and chuck everything at it. 

Felt for long periods it was men v boys out there tonight but yet again our defence held firm for the first 45 at least. Second half we improved and, if not for 2 individual errors I didn't really feel that County's dominance would lead to goals. When we got the ball down and played football we look a decent side. Service to Hamilton was abject and Vaughan was too far off him most of the time to link it anything did stick. 

What a pass from Byrne though, great vision to set the goal up, and Connolly so unlucky, he's not done enough of that recently for me. 

Hopefully the team will travel in a more relaxed mood, no pressure on them, just go out and play their natural game and see what it brings us but we really need to tighten up the midfield, we did get run ragged for periods tonight.

Go 3-4-3 and have some fun up there, nothing to lose really.

53 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Not really.

2nd best for most of the night, incredible to think the tie is still - in theory at least - in the balance.

It was clear the long ball to Hamilton wasn't working and the goal was nicely worked, showed a small glimpse of what we can do when we play the game as we have been all season.

Not confident for the second leg but will still be there cheering the team on. Even if/when we fall short on Sunday, what a season it's been.