Lockdown Memories. We can laugh about it now

Was good for my PhD as I ended up doing my viva remotely from home where one could have stuck loads of notes on the wall just above the camera had they wanted to. Never had to bother with a hard copy of the thesis either.

I remember seeing the email coming in about Covid towards the end of my final year and I just packed all of my office stuff into a cardboard box and left, looking like somebody who'd got the sack in various films.  That was my last day in the dept.

It was quite eye opening to see how so many folk had to be told to wash their hands and how to do so.

Even worse is the number of folk who grudgingly did it and who have long stopped doing so.

A truly disgusting, vile nation of clatty scum.

I liked the first lockdown.
Wean was born as it started so I took about 3 months off between paternity and "sick pay" cos we needed to look after the wean. Sunny as f**k and beers out the back.

Put on about 3 stone though and still have it. b*****d that.

I had 50 weeks of furlough while the wife worked on.

Had an absolutely magic time, on 80% of the previous years pay which was far more then my basic as I worked away all that year.

Cars, garden, golf game, all had never looked so good. Even got back into cycling and shifted near 3 stone.*

*back on now

4 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Was good for my PhD as I ended up doing my viva remotely from home where one could have stuck loads of notes on the wall just above the camera had they wanted to. Never had to bother with a hard copy of the thesis either.

I remember seeing the email coming in about Covid towards the end of my final year and I just packed all of my office stuff into a cardboard box and left, looking like somebody who'd got the sack in various films.  That was my last day in the dept.

@Hedgecutter 

201113125021-restricted-dominic-cummings-downing-street-1113-super-tease.thumb.jpg.3426ad5d30c3783dca3c88357b93f312.jpg

Sinking cans out the back with my dad got earlier and earlier each week until one week my mum went mental because we started at 1 in the afternoon :lol:

My nephew being born and not getting to visit him in the hospital was a shitter though. We all went round at various points to see him at my sisters. Felt a bit bad at the time breaking the rules but ever since the Tory antics all came out I’ve been so glad we did it. 

The weather - glorious. 

My dug, 2yo, got a terminal diagnosis, posted about such in the Dugs thread. Really really horrible but we had some amazing walks across the (shut) golf courses in the amazing weather while he could.   

And when the golf did reopen, my course is only a 9-holer. Prebooked 15 min tee-times, 2-ball max, then I think 3-ball. Round in 1hr 15mins. Spent every lunchtime on the course in brilliant weather - the way the game should be played. Magnificent. 

The inevitable happened with the dug, wasn’t for waiting for another, the trips up and down the M74/M6/A66 to - ironically enough - Barnard Castle to engage with the breeders and eventually pick the boy up six weeks later were surreal. The old couple lived on a remote farm up on the moors and had no hesitation in inviting me in for soup and a sandwich each time, despite me coming from miles away and all the alarmist guidance. 

On the back of the Govts rumbling and hinting about reopening the airports, bagged us a couple of seats on an empty Ryanair to a half-empty Fuerteventura in July, a great way to holiday. 

Tried the same trick in December, came down with Covid ten days before we were due to fly, trip fucked, the insurance paying out was small compensation  

Had a pal who went to Barbados to get married at the end of 2020, they had planned it to combine their annual holiday allowance with the Christmas shutdown to spend 4 weeks over there. Then the Jan ‘21 lockdown happened, they couldn’t get back and the jammy c***s ended up buying a place! Their employers’ view was that as long as they were available on UK time it didn’t matter where they worked. They now spend their winters out there. 

Did I say jammy c***s yet? 

Working in health and social care, a lot of poor souls lost their lives through COVID though. Brutal, brutal disease. I would not wish it on anyone.