Your Candidates Tonight

A nice thread to say pleasant things about your options in this current, and indeed future elections.

Apparently four candidates in Alloa and Grangemouth so far. Seem like a great bunch of lads.

image.png.4208406320bf98cc812ab96e7b89da54.png

Tempted by Eva Comrie as I quite fancy being represented at Westminster by a human centipede:

image.png.dea3524dd5a0db71ed9bc67ceac2c515.png

1 hour ago, Suspect Device said:

Stephen Flynn is (catastrophically) bald and supports Dundee Utd.

I have no idea about the rest.

image.png.bb50c4809dd760c4d955532223719c50.png

Tauqeer in denial about how things are going for him on the follicle front.

I'm afraid you've no choice but to vote for the Tory m9, although I'm not convinced he isn't AI generated.

Drew Hendry seems to be fairly dull & competent, but he's almost certainly going to lose to the millionaire Lib Dem. I know people who have had dealings with Macdonald as a Cllr and apparently he is a complete thicko.

image.thumb.png.7899f50776823a249bce0e92b921326c.png

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Suspect Device said:

Stephen Flynn is (catastrophically) bald and supports Dundee Utd.

I have no idea about the rest.

image.png.bb50c4809dd760c4d955532223719c50.png

Guy is a good egg, but you're on to a loser being a Green MP in Europe's Oil Capital (up ye Stavanger). Stephen has the passion and also the motivation of a regressive illness which means he's not in it for the long haul, but rather to be an agent of change. Labour don't generally have a footprint in Aberdeen South so it will, as always, be a straight shootout between the Tory boy and Flynn.

Hopefully Flynn's name recognition and years of service will get him over the line.

Edited by velo army

Posted (edited)

Apparently my choices are: 

Screenshot_20240527_125744_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e48029d880f8a9d991edd99dbcd3e2dc.jpg

Have to say the only one I've heard of is the Labour guy - since the boundaries are being redrawn*, my current MP, the Labour candidate (and former MP) and the Lib Dem and Green candidates that I could choose from last time round are not options in my area this time.

Labour are certainly seeing this as a high value target if the amount of billboards, flyers, Facebook adverts etc are anything to go by - and these all started months ago, long before the announcement of the July 4th date for the poll. Not heard anything about the SNP candidate, and a little surprised we have "Scottish Family Party" apparently fielding a candidate.

* I was in Dunfermline and West Fife but am now going to be in Dunfermline and Dollar. Losing some of Rosyth, Crossgates, Inverkeithing, Hill of Beath and gaining Dollar and Muckart, so in theory makes it a slightly more affluent area - will that help anyone in particular? The Tories were well down on the old boundary but Dollar was part of Ochil and South Perthshire which was an SNP Gain from CON in 2019 with Labour nowhere. 

EDIT: Just done some quick calculations, and given that the new constituency is 95.9% the old one and only 4.0% from Ochil, then 2 things stand out: 1. It's odd that only the Green candidates is returning this time, and 2. That it needs about a 10.4% swing SNP to Labour based on nominal 2019 results for yellow to turn red. Doable certainly but surely there are better bets out there.

Edited by Salvo Montalbano
Added context and data.

Iris Duane - Greens

Nick Durie - Alba

Martin Rhodes - Labour

Alison Thewliss - SNP

Even if Thewliss holds for the SNP, she will be a new MP for Glasgow North, as her Glasgow Central constituency is being dismantled, and our incumbent, Patrick Grady, isn't standing again

Looks like there are a few areas where Ruth Davidson's Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party haven't selected a candidate yet.

Must have been taken by surprise when the governing party threw a snap election, the b*****ds.

39 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

image.png.2d78857c3d10864bbe4deee7145bce92.png

The Labour guy looks like he's just leaving school. 

Reform represented by a cluedo piece. 

SNP guy will be bald in 5 years. 

Jeezo...what a selection

I think with a surname like ‘Stainbank‘ he left school a long time ago and was homeschooled from about 11. 

50 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Tauqeer in denial about how things are going for him on the follicle front.

I'm afraid you've no choice but to vote for the Tory m9, although I'm not convinced he isn't AI generated.

I have a lot of choices before I vote for a Tory. Death being one of them.

2 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Apparently my choices are: 

Screenshot_20240527_125744_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e48029d880f8a9d991edd99dbcd3e2dc.jpg

Have to say the only one I've heard of is the Labour guy - since the boundaries are being redrawn*, my current MP, the Labour candidate (and former MP) and the Lib Dem and Green candidates that I could choose from last time round are not options in my area this time.

Labour are certainly seeing this as a high value target if the amount of billboards, flyers, Facebook adverts etc are anything to go by - and these all started months ago, long before the announcement of the July 4th date for the poll. Not heard anything about the SNP candidate, and a little surprised we have "Scottish Family Party" apparently fielding a candidate.

* I was in Dunfermline and West Fife but am now going to be in Dunfermline and Dollar. Losing some of Rosyth, Crossgates, Inverkeithing, Hill of Beath and gaining Dollar and Muckart, so in theory makes it a slightly more affluent area - will that help anyone in particular? The Tories were well down on the old boundary but Dollar was part of Ochil and South Perthshire which was an SNP Gain from CON in 2019 with Labour nowhere. 

EDIT: Just done some quick calculations, and given that the new constituency is 95.9% the old one and only 4.0% from Ochil, then 2 things stand out: 1. It's odd that only the Green candidates is returning this time, and 2. That it needs about a 10.4% swing SNP to Labour based on nominal 2019 results for yellow to turn red. Doable certainly but surely there are better bets out there.

Same as me. So that is what we are being presented with after Auld Chapman's retirement?

They'll no doubt be joined by one of the truly awful Councillor Calder types standing for the LibDems who are alarmingly popular in Duloch. Downie has already knocked doors a couple of months back where he seemed to be quite heartened. I've heard very little from the SNP, but I have a bad feeling that they will lose Dunfermline.  But on the bright side, at least the Labour candidate isn't Cara Hilton. 

Stephen Gethins - SNP - served as the Member of Parliament (MP) for North East Fife from the 2015 general election, until he lost his seat at the 2019 general election to Wendy Chamberlain of the Liberal Democrats. 

Cheryl-Ann Cruickshank - Labour - picked or imposed, depending on your viewpoint - is the daughter of Georgia Cruikshank,  a councillor who was recently appointed to the Scottish Executive Committee of the Labour Party.

Rick Brooks - Tory - Councillor for Kincorth, Nigg, & Cove - Aberdeen Conservatives Deputy Group Leader

Ghazi Khan - Alba - retired shop owner.

It would be a shock if Gethins doesn't win this - may possibly be one of the safer SNP seats.

The Scottish land of milk and honey, #G12

Iris Duane - Scottish Green Party
Nick Durie  -Alba Party
Martin Rhodes - Labour Party
Alison Thewliss - Scottish National Party (SNP)

According to her profile, Alison Thewliss's favourite biscuit is a Tunnock's Caramel Log. 
A Tunnock's Caramel Log is not a biscuit. The SNP are out of touch.

Just now, HoBNob said:

Screenshot_20240527_193322_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7dc794ad956df77abede9ce650de5ec2.jpg

I've heard of Neale Hanvey, I've never even heard of the Scottish Libertarian Party. 

Not had any leaflets or heehaw. 

Greens and Labour both fielding MILFs. What seat is this?

Posted (edited)

A truly "inspiring" selection. Allan Dorrans relatively safe due to being remarkably unremarkable. Labour standing a JPEG image template an interesting strategy.

Screenshot_20240527_204600_Firefox.jpg

Edited by Oceanlineayr

Totally spoiled here. Dave Doogan - good guy. The rest, well, y'know. Stephen Kerr 😂Worthwhile checking out moon howler and Trump wannabe Dan Pena for laughs. Absolute buffoon.Screenshot_20240527-205421.thumb.jpg.9e4400fd2e77eb886de5e21abc371bed.jpg