Group C 🇸🇮🇩🇰🇷🇸🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Southgate seems pretty well set on the grind through approach to tournament football. Low risk, don't show your attacking cards to any great extent for as long as possible. I think they'll be fine in the group, have too much for turkey in the last 16, and then fine margin time after that. Which they'll surely be on the wrong side of well before winning a final.

2 hours ago, Groundhopping Adventures said:

Hasn't stopped every BBC English pundit predicting they'll win it because they have "the best front six in the world" they possibly do but their goalkeeper, defence and midfield are rotten

Yep.

England are the world champions when it comes to being self publicists.

What's worse is Scottish people buying into the hype. There is a narrative here with some people that Mainoo is a hybrid of Keane and Robson.

Give me a break.

Gary Neville called it right after the Euro 2020 match. He declared that England do not have a midfielder like Gilmour.

He's right. They didn't then and they still don't.

Wharton and Mainoo are good but they aren't ready for a major international tournament, which is why Trent will probably start in the double pivot

More bad news for the "favourites". John Stones has a virus and he's had to isolate himself from the rest of the squad.

Conceivably it could be a Crystal Palace and Aston Villa defensive duo playing centerback for England with an Everton keeper.

Yikes.

Edited by SlayerX

I am in the camp of English folk who think it would be nice to win a tournament, but take all the hype with a mountain of salt and will just shrug it off if we don't.  I know a few good lads who follow England but, having witnessed the behaviour of some of the fans when living in London,  I would have no interest in following them on any trip.  I don't watch any friendlies or qualifiers, either.  I enjoyed watching them when Terry Venables was in charge and would love to have seen what he could get out of the current crop of forwards.  

I see a few good points in here like we have no technical equivalent to Billy Gilmour.  I remember listening to Stewart Robson back in 2010, talking about the technical ability of players and standard of coaching and there have been some improvements.  However, if we blow it,  then it will go full Talksport phone-in.  One thing we do have is a big potential pool of talented kids getting out there and playing football and it is encouraging to see the likes of Eze making it into the national set up, after being released as a kid.

I view it that it is the natural order of things for Scotland fans to want England to lose so I hope we see some quality patter.

On 07/06/2024 at 17:14, Miguel Simao said:

I see the Nigel’s are hyping up Adam Wharton as the new Toni Kroos after about 10 good games for Crystal Palace. No doubt he will go on to have a very good career but according to the twitter experts he’s apparently already better than all of our midfielders except McGinn, despite them all being vastly more experienced than him at a similar level. Did they not say similar things about Kalvin Phillips a few years ago?

I did a personal Nigel count, after being baffled by this reference. Turns out I know a few.  Primary school teacher/hippy, tough lad from the North End of Birkenhead, mate from the South West and two Sales guys.  In plain site and all that.  Obviously, XTC is the top Nigel reference.  As for Adam Wharton, standard practice.

On 28/05/2024 at 13:20, forameus said:

I'd like there to be a bump in the road for England, but can't really see it.  I expect the Serbia game will probably be one of those typically stodgy tournament games for them where they look unconvincing but win anyway.  They'll probably look pretty good against Denmark and secure qualification.  

But hopefully that stodge turns into Serbia getting something from them, then Denmark f**k the bacon out of them in the 2nd game leaving them needing a result against a Slovenia side who just refuse to leave their own box.  Finishes 0-0, only a single point, and a 105th minute goal in the final group game before 3rd place is sorted leaves them a goal short.

That'd be funny.

I'm sure you can't wait to get knocked out on Wednesday so you can all go back to supporting anyone but England. It's the only joy you can get from football these days 😞

6 hours ago, Red Kite said:

I am in the camp of English folk who think it would be nice to win a tournament, but take all the hype with a mountain of salt and will just shrug it off if we don't.  I know a few good lads who follow England but, having witnessed the behaviour of some of the fans when living in London,  I would have no interest in following them on any trip.  I don't watch any friendlies or qualifiers, either.  I enjoyed watching them when Terry Venables was in charge and would love to have seen what he could get out of the current crop of forwards.  

I see a few good points in here like we have no technical equivalent to Billy Gilmour.  I remember listening to Stewart Robson back in 2010, talking about the technical ability of players and standard of coaching and there have been some improvements.  However, if we blow it,  then it will go full Talksport phone-in.  One thing we do have is a big potential pool of talented kids getting out there and playing football and it is encouraging to see the likes of Eze making it into the national set up, after being released as a kid.

I view it that it is the natural order of things for Scotland fans to want England to lose so I hope we see some quality patter.

Good post.

I agree with the Gilmour thing.

The biggest difference between Italy and England in the Euro 2020 final was Jorginho and Verratti.

Between them they had 250 touches with a 96% and 94% pass success rate.

Compare that with Rice and Phillips who had 106 touches and their pass success rate was 76% and 77%.

England are stocked with number 10s, but they're lacking a playmaker. Probably have since Scholes and Carrick, and even then, neither of those players were utilised.

2 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

Good post.

I agree with the Gilmour thing.

The biggest difference between Italy and England in the Euro 2020 final was Jorginho and Verratti.

Between them they had 250 touches with a 96% and 94% pass success rate.

Compare that with Rice and Phillips who had 106 touches and their pass success rate was 76% and 77%.

England are stocked with number 10s, but they're lacking a playmaker. Probably have since Scholes and Carrick, and even then, neither of those players were utilised.

Good analysis.  Those Italian lads just kept the ball moving, accurately and could dictate the tempo.

We have previously had a crop of midfield players and never got our act together on the Scholes front.  Reminds me a bit of the current Robertson/Tierney situation, trying to get everyone decent in the side.   Got a mate who is younger than me and joined West Ham until he was about 20.  From what he tells me, Carrick.was fantsstic to play with and  I think he was hard done by, caps-wise.

8 minutes ago, Red Kite said:

Good analysis.  Those Italian lads just kept the ball moving, accurately and could dictate the tempo.

We have previously had a crop of midfield players and never got our act together on the Scholes front.  Reminds me a bit of the current Robertson/Tierney situation, trying to get everyone decent in the side.   Got a mate who is younger than me and joined West Ham until he was about 20.  From what he tells me, Carrick.was fantsstic to play with and  I think he was hard done by, caps-wise.

Definitely. It pains me to say it, but in Euro 2020 if Jorginho was playing for England, you would've won.

Same now, actually. I'm a United fan so I've seen Mainoo all season. He is a very good player, but I think he's more Paul Ince than Paul Scholes.

Not that Ince was bad. He was brilliant. Loved him to bits. He just wasn't a playmaker.

Yeah, good call with the Tierney/Robertson thing. A classic case of shoehorning players in.

Yeah. He was probably underrated by opposition fans and even the media, but he was brilliant. If he was French or Italian he would've won 100+ caps (Same goes for LeTissier)

Good luck for tomorrow*

*I don't mean it. ;)

57 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

Definitely. It pains me to say it, but in Euro 2020 if Jorginho was playing for England, you would've won.

Same now, actually. I'm a United fan so I've seen Mainoo all season. He is a very good player, but I think he's more Paul Ince than Paul Scholes.

Not that Ince was bad. He was brilliant. Loved him to bits. He just wasn't a playmaker.

Yeah, good call with the Tierney/Robertson thing. A classic case of shoehorning players in.

Yeah. He was probably underrated by opposition fans and even the media, but he was brilliant. If he was French or Italian he would've won 100+ caps (Same goes for LeTissier)

Good luck for tomorrow*

*I don't mean it. ;)

That is a possibility, but it is England!  You would want Jorginho in your side., though.

That United team that knocked Liverpool off our perch.  Bloody hell.  I rated Ince and he was always good for England, but I wasn"t as impressed by him  by the time he came to Anfield.  If Mainoo can have a career like Ince, that would be tremendous.

The debate about whether a player fits the English template will roll on, I'm sure.

I realise everyone wants to see Engkand GIRU them and why on earth not?   Best put down I received was at Landsdowne Road, watchimg a game with some Irish pals.  Some auld lad asks them if their mate is going to rip up the seats!

16 hours ago, Red Kite said:

That is a possibility, but it is England!  You would want Jorginho in your side., though.

That United team that knocked Liverpool off our perch.  Bloody hell.  I rated Ince and he was always good for England, but I wasn"t as impressed by him  by the time he came to Anfield.  If Mainoo can have a career like Ince, that would be tremendous.

The debate about whether a player fits the English template will roll on, I'm sure.

I realise everyone wants to see Engkand GIRU them and why on earth not?   Best put down I received was at Landsdowne Road, watchimg a game with some Irish pals.  Some auld lad asks them if their mate is going to rip up the seats!

Lol. True.

I know! That squad of players were simply possessed... in a good way. The central midfield duo of Keane and Ince was tremendous. It was back in the days when midfielders were expected to do everything, and boy did they.

Agreed. His best years was definitely spent at Manchester United and Inter Milan.

That's what separated SAF from other managers. He could spot a talent as well as a character.

Ince from West Ham and Keane from Nottingham Forest were decisive moments in Manchester United history.

lol. Ouch. Well.. did you? ;)

Edited by SlayerX

58 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

Lol. True.

I know! That squad of players were simply possessed... in a good way. The central midfield duo of Keane and Ince was tremendous. It was back in the days when midfielders were expected to do everything, and boy did they.

Agreed. His best years was definitely spent at Manchester United and Inter Milan.

That's what separated SAF from other managers. He could spot a talent as well as a character.

Ince from West Ham and Keane from Nottingham Forest were decisive moments in Manchester United history.

lol. Ouch. Well.. did you? ;)

I was too busy laughing to cause any mayhem!