Group E πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡°πŸ‡·πŸ‡΄πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦

Posted (edited)

Group E fixtures along with UK kick off times and channels:

Monday 17th June - 2.00pm - Romania vs Ukraine - BBC1
Monday 17th June - 5.00pm - Belgium vs Slovakia - ITV
Friday 21st June - 2.00pm - Slovakia vs Ukraine - BBC1
Saturday 22nd June - 8.00pm - Belgium vs Romania - ITV
Wednesday 26th June - 5.00pm - Slovakia vs Romania - BBC (TBC)
Wednesday 26th June - 5.00pm - Ukraine vs Belgium - BBC (TBC)

Perennial tournament favourites Belgium are less fancied this time around which may be of a benefit to them as they've never quite lived up to that "golden generation" tag. You'd still think they can win this group, Lukaku to grab a few goals. I think it's pretty open outside of that, Romania seem to be on a bit of an upturn, but you'd think all teams will fancy their chances of progress.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

• Bully Wee Villa changed the title to Group E πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡°πŸ‡·πŸ‡΄πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦
  • 3 weeks later...
Just now, rainbowrising said:

This section is full of teams that would be classified as great or a real threat at one time (in Romania's case quite some time). I reckon Belgium have missed that golden generation period.Β 

Belgium are in that position that Greece were in between like 2006-2015, albeit Greece’s position was driven by a single triumph whereas Belgium was due to consistently decent performance over a decade.

Β 

By that I mean they aren’t any great shakes, but their ranking is so good due to past performance that they get seeded into piss easy groups all the time. It’s a self fulfilling prophecy. They used to be good so they get a good seeding, which in turn leads to more good results and the seeding stays high.

I was wondering if the referee might be referred to the monitor for the tackle on Zabarnyi a couple of minutes ago, but then McFadden said virtually the same thing and I concluded that we are probably both watching too much Scottish football.Β