LEZ - WHAT YOU THINKING?

3 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

"Exotic" holidays... seemingly non-UK, or maybe non-EU... regardless it definitely includes all air travel (and airports) so your typical ad for a package holiday presumably falls foul on that count.

What about city breaks? Or are these only to be encouraged for those visiting the uk? Does my return flight to the us emit more CO2 than a journey that starts there?

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

That's mental.

Even more so when you consider these decisions will be made by people who almost certainly will go on multiple "exotic" holidays per year.

Yes, but they don't use buses, it's important those who do are encouraged away from these holidays.

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

That's mental.

Even more so when you consider these decisions will be made by people who almost certainly will go on multiple "exotic" holidays per year.

It was an SNP-Green motion but passed 15-2, with Labour + LDs also in favour and only the Conservatives against.

Interestingly the Greens put in an amendment to also ban adverts from arms manufacturers (this was definitely passed as it's been mentioned in news coverage) and from the armed forces.

I must assume latter wasn't passed: as it'd ban recruitment posters for the Royal Navy/etc. :huh:

2 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Interestingly the Greens put in an amendment to also ban adverts from arms manufacturers (this was definitely passed as it's been mentioned in news coverage) and from the armed forces.

Unless I'm missing something, why would arms manufacturers be advertising in bus stops?

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

Unless I'm missing something, why would arms manufacturers be advertising in bus stops?

I'd agree it's hardly likely to be a staple of the city's billboards and bus stops. That said I'm sure I've seen ads by the firm who make Eurofighter electronics - they've a big works up at Crewe Toll.

Posted (edited)

What a load on nonsense posted in this thread.  This isn't about any particular type of vehicle.  A highly politing 5 litre Diesel that meets Euro 6 standards (when new) is allowed a 10 year old diesel Hyundai ixx isn't.  

In Aberdeen, the LEZ means that those from the North of the city that want to go to Union Square will need to reroute and add miles onto the journey to approach from the south (through mostly residential areas.  Meanwhile ships sit in the barbour spewing out pollution (no Euro 6 standards there).  ACC are fucking up traffic management to the extent that they'll soon be giving ECC a run for their money in the "who can f**k over motorists the most" awards.

It actually feels similar to the policy of Cobb County, Atlanta that once banned busses to keep the poor out.  Here they are doing it based on who can afford new cars.

Edited by strichener

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Maybe less in Edinburgh, but some in areas where they are reasonably big employers it's not uncommon, mainly looking for apprenticeships/entry level workers.

Babcock for example are sponsoring one of our fan zone events at east end.

Edited by parsforlife

I spent some time in France recently and had the "pleasure" of driving into Bordeaux which is awful to access......esp if you need to get in an underground car park.

However, what they have done, in the historic centre is made it basically traffic - free via these electronic bollards - unless you are emergency services, or a delivery truck, or doing work, you can't get in.

It was very pleasant, just buses, trams, bikes, scooters and pedestrians. Makes wandering round the streets looking at restaurants and pubs a hell of a lot nicer.

They have some excellent cycle infrastructure in the city as well.........and they are very well used.

p.s. it pished down one day when we were there, still rammed with bikes etc.

It's the future........

Meh. Posted it before but I’ll repeat myself. My lovely ‘15-plate Range Rover (roon’ the H8rs) didn’t comply with the Glasgow LEZ. Walking in from the fringes in Summer was no great trouble. The miserable winter we’ve had though, I very quickly got bored of turning up to meetings soaking wet with sodden shoes (wellies aren’t all that becoming with a suit) and I ended up selling it to a very nice car dealer down in Preston. (Note also that nice Mr Burnham in Manchester recognised the economic damage would far outweigh any perceived benefits and he put their LEZ on hold indefinitely)  

Also, in England you pay a daily charge to take your non compliant car into the LEZ. £12.50a day in London I think.  That allows you to go make a rational judgment about how/why/if it is necessary to go in. With parking meter rates in Glasgow city centre at (I think) £6/hr, if they are insistent that air pollution is a problem (it isn’t), that would seem to me a sensible proposition. But that they have gone for the doubling fine option takes that choice off the table.  

So I’ve sold a perfectly good car that will continue ‘polluting’ the highways and bye ways of northern England and gone out and bought myself a new (hybrid, hoo hoo!😉) Range Rover. A completely unnecessary purchase with a huge carbon implication, it weighs near 3-tons because of all the batteries so will likely accelerate the already rapid deterioration of Glasgows roads and potholes. But I’ll be fine inside. 

What problem has the LEZ solved in this case? 

tl;dr - LEZs in Scotland are completely unnecessary. 

And, before anyone starts, I’ve earned my money (and not by burning poor people either before anyone goes down that road), I’ll spend it on what I like, thanks. 

56 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I spent some time in France recently and had the "pleasure" of driving into Bordeaux which is awful to access......esp if you need to get in an underground car park.

However, what they have done, in the historic centre is made it basically traffic - free via these electronic bollards - unless you are emergency services, or a delivery truck, or doing work, you can't get in.

It was very pleasant, just buses, trams, bikes, scooters and pedestrians. Makes wandering round the streets looking at restaurants and pubs a hell of a lot nicer.

They have some excellent cycle infrastructure in the city as well.........and they are very well used.

p.s. it pished down one day when we were there, still rammed with bikes etc.

It's the future........

Some braw wine there too.

1 minute ago, Leith Green said:

Was drinking some we brought back last night........maybe slightly too much 😎

The wife & I went there a few years ago. Made a bee-line for a cafe by the cathedral and the bog-standard house red was astonishingly good. The amazing thing was, we spent the day in the cafes and bars and the wine just got better and better. Though they call it "van" for some reason. 

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

Maybe less in Edinburgh, but some in areas where they are reasonably big employers it's not uncommon, mainly looking for apprenticeships/entry level workers.

Babcock for example are sponsoring one of our fan zone events at east end.

So companies in Scotland, who will have contracts with UK defence organisations, can't advertise for Scottish based workers.

That seems like a tremendous plan.

56 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Meh. Posted it before but I’ll repeat myself. My lovely ‘15-plate Range Rover (roon’ the H8rs) didn’t comply with the Glasgow LEZ. Walking in from the fringes in Summer was no great trouble. The miserable winter we’ve had though, I very quickly got bored of turning up to meetings soaking wet with sodden shoes (wellies aren’t all that becoming with a suit) and I ended up selling it to a very nice car dealer down in Preston. (Note also that nice Mr Burnham in Manchester recognised the economic damage would far outweigh any perceived benefits and he put their LEZ on hold indefinitely)  

Also, in England you pay a daily charge to take your non compliant car into the LEZ. £12.50a day in London I think.  That allows you to go make a rational judgment about how/why/if it is necessary to go in. With parking meter rates in Glasgow city centre at (I think) £6/hr, if they are insistent that air pollution is a problem (it isn’t), that would seem to me a sensible proposition. But that they have gone for the doubling fine option takes that choice off the table.  

So I’ve sold a perfectly good car that will continue ‘polluting’ the highways and bye ways of northern England and gone out and bought myself a new (hybrid, hoo hoo!😉) Range Rover. A completely unnecessary purchase with a huge carbon implication, it weighs near 3-tons because of all the batteries so will likely accelerate the already rapid deterioration of Glasgows roads and potholes. But I’ll be fine inside. 

What problem has the LEZ solved in this case? 

tl;dr - LEZs in Scotland are completely unnecessary. 

And, before anyone starts, I’ve earned my money (and not by burning poor people either before anyone goes down that road), I’ll spend it on what I like, thanks. 

3 hours ago, strichener said:

It actually feels similar to the policy of Cobb County, Atlanta that once banned busses to keep the poor out.  Here they are doing it based on who can afford new cars.

You forgot that they rejected an expansion of the light rail into the area, MARTA, with the comment that MARTA stood for "Moving African-Americans Rapidly Through Atlanta".

18 minutes ago, TxRover said:

You forgot that they rejected an expansion of the light rail into the area, MARTA, with the comment that MARTA stood for "Moving African-Americans Rapidly Through Atlanta".

Kennesaw, Marrietta and surrounding area is home to some of the most racist people I have ever met. 

5 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

That's mental.

Or "fact finding" trips

I've got a 1993 Talbot motorhome. As its over 30 and not been converted in any way I can drive in any city in Scotland asits a historic vehicle. I do need to pay in all the English ones except for Portsmouth. It's petrol and smokes like a lum from cold. Doesn't really make much sense though.

We were due to go to an event in the city centre of Edinburgh tonight which starts at 20:30. 

A friend had offered to drive us in and his car complies with the LEZ. Unfortunately he's taken not well and had to give it a rain check at short notice. 

Trying to get in and use public transport to get us to the venue which isn't too far away from the Scottish parliament. Reckon we're going to miss quite a bit of the start and still debating whether we'd be cheaper just paying the fine.

Of course the Edinburgh one is being enforced from today onwards as well. Should have bought tickets for yesterdays performance, feckin typical.