Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 v 🇫🇮 Finland

Posted (edited)

I’ll start a match thread seen as I’m going to this. I don’t generally do friendlies but here we are.

After thrashing Gibraltar 2-0 tomorrow  night - possibly 3-0 for those who dare to dream - the Fins are next up. It’s essentially a going away party, so I’m not expecting much. It would be nice to win but 0-0 or 1-1 seem likely scorelines.

I’m hoping to see Doak get a run out.

When does the final squad get announced to see which two haven’t made the cut?

Edited by Scary Bear

1 minute ago, Scary Bear said:

I’ll start a match thread seen as I’m going to this. I don’t generally do friendlies but here we are.

After thrashing Gibraltar 2-0 tomorrow  night - possibly 3-0 for those who dare to dream - the Fins are next up. It’s essentially a going away party, so I’m not expecting much. It would be nice to win but 0-0 or 1-1 seem likely scorelines.

I’m hoping to see Doak get a run out.

When does the final squad get announced to see which two haven’t made the cut?

Well we know Dykes is one of the two so barring any call ups it’s probably just tbc which keeper drops out. I’d be surprised if it’s not Kelly. 

Just now, JS_FFC said:

Well we know Dykes is one of the two so barring any call ups it’s probably just tbc which keeper drops out. I’d be surprised if it’s not Kelly. 

I hadn’t been following the injuries. Is Dykes crocked? I’ll check the injuries thread.

Just now, Scary Bear said:

I hadn’t been following the injuries. Is Dykes crocked? I’ll check the injuries thread.

Yep got a serious ankle injury in training on Friday unfortunately 

Posted (edited)

I'm a lifelong Scotland fan, regular at Hampden since the late 90s, season ticket holder, off to Germany imminently, etc, etc. But I'm also half-Finnish, so this is a bit of a weird one for me. Last time I saw them play each other was a 1-1 draw in a semi renovated (or should that be half-finnished) Hampden back in 1992.

Of course I'll be wanting Scotland to win. Finland are a clear second preference for me when it comes to international football, but between the two it's no contest. Also emotions aside, the Scotland team and fans could do with heading off to Germany in the best possible frame of mind.

I might commit the cardinal sin of buying a half and half scarf though. Don't judge me.

Edited by Adamski

1 hour ago, Adamski said:

I'm a lifelong Scotland fan, regular at Hampden since the late 90s, season ticket holder, off to Germany imminently, etc, etc. But I'm also half-Finnish, so this is a bit of a weird one for me. Last time I saw them play each other was a 1-1 draw in a semi renovated (or should that be half-finnished) Hampden back in 1992.

Of course I'll be wanting Scotland to win. Finland are a clear second preference for me when it comes to international football, but between the two it's no contest. Also emotions aside, the Scotland team and fans could do with heading off to Germany in the best possible frame of mind.

I might commit the cardinal sin of buying a half and half scarf though. Don't judge me.

I'll refrain from booing the Finnish anthem on Friday! 😀

5 hours ago, Adamski said:

Watch out for Eric Cantona sneaking up behind you.

I would hope and think that for this game, Clarke will start as close to his first eleven as he can.

Gunn, Robertson, Ralston, Hendry, Porteous, Tierney, McGregor, Gilmour, McTominay, McGinn, Adams 

I'm pretty confident now that will be the line up for Germany.

I thought McCrorie had a shout before tonight, but I'd say that's less likely now. Christie is the only other one who could realistically be in contention to start against Germany.

Ryan Christie is the most pinned on essential starter of anyone who's ever not been in the first eleven of any football team. And I'm not being sarcastic.

He doesn't find a place in my first eleven but he finds a place if virtually anyone drops out, and he deserves it.

7 hours ago, Craigieboy said:

Cooper and Dykes out euro 2024 because they injury and Stewart and Armstrong will replace both 

Which Armstrong are you talking about? Stuart Armstrong was already in the provisional squad but Ross Stewart wasn't so I'm confused...or are you talking about Daniel Armstrong?

I read people saying that Dykes will be one of the two players from the provisional squad that won't travel but Dykes will need to be replaced with another striker so that would still mean we're looking at Kelly and Union Jack not making it..

I'll be down on Friday night but not expecting much from the game...the way things are going, a successful night will be negotiating it without further injuries to our depleted squad.

I'm likely in a minority of one but I would play my wildcard and take Simon Murray.

I'm looking forward to this one - always enjoy a Friday night game.

Anyway, I think we need to see a decent performance in this one. I don't think it's time necessarily for experimenting too much, I'd like to see a solid 45min with as close to his preferred side for the first game, with a few key subs.

I'd give Shankland the start again, and give him another 60mins, we know what Adams gives us.