Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 v 🇫🇮 Finland

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Is it? He has never played there before, his use of the ball isn't nearly good enough, I don't think I've ever seen him cross, and you'd also lose one of your starting centre-backs from the defence.

Some of the galaxy brained stuff about RWB is genuinely bizarre. Ralston is perfectly fine.

If he gets injured then Clarke might try something creative rather than play McCrorie, but Ralston should absolutely be plan A (or plan C really) 

1 hour ago, Willie adie said:

Heard mentioned on the Scottish  football podcast talk of Jack Hendry going to right wing back. Which is maybe a decent shout 

That would be an outrageous experiment to test at this stage and I think if there was any truth in it, it would definitely been trialled at some point against Gibraltar.

Whilst we do see him stride forward from centre back and go past a few players sometimes, doing it on the wing, overlapping, getting crosses in and getting back is different altogether.

13 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

That would be an outrageous experiment to test at this stage and I think if there was any truth in it, it would definitely been trialled at some point against Gibraltar.

Whilst we do see him stride forward from centre back and go past a few players sometimes, doing it on the wing, overlapping, getting crosses in and getting back is different altogether.

The bolded part is why I’m leaning towards Ryan Porteous being benched and Hanley playing. For me Hendry’s best games for Scotland have come at RCB where he can play a similar role to what Tierney does at LCB, bringing the ball out and inverting into midfield at points.

When he plays at the heart of the back three he has to stay back deep and you lose that.

He did make an ultimately fatal error against the Czech Republic at the last euros when he played that role by shooting from miles out and his shot was blocked right into the path of Patrik Schick who spotted Marshall off his line and lobbed him from the halfway line, but I’d argue that’s a reason to ask Gunn to stay a bit closer to his line rather than an argument against playing Hendry as one of the wider CBs.

13 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

If we are 1-0 up on Hungary with 10 minutes to go I’m 100% bringing Ryan Jack on to park the bus. 

As yes,  'parking the bus' by sitting as far back as possible and drawing severe pressure for the last ten minutes until everything turns to shit the Scottish way.

The best way to run down the clock is to do it as far as possible from your own goal and penalty area.

Just now, Bogbrush1903 said:

As yes,  'parking the bus' by sitting as far back as possible and drawing severe pressure for the last ten minutes until everything turns to shit the Scottish way.

The best way to run down the clock is to do it as far as possible from your own goal and penalty area.

Why does nobody in football just follow this simple approach then?

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Why does nobody in football just follow this simple approach then?

They do! The Europeans draw fouls in the middle of the park, take an age with throw-ins etc,  and forego the adoption of the tried, tested and failed approach of a San Marino style of play to see out a match.

Parking the bus is rarely successful for Scotland, just ask Craig Levein.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

Just now, Bogbrush1903 said:

They do! The Europeans draw fouls in the middle of the park, take an age with throw-ins etc,  and forego the adoption of the tried, tested and failed approach of a San Marino style of play to see out a match.

Ah yes, "the Europeans".

Posted (edited)

I'd probably start the Finland game with the back three that I'd start against Germany.

The two best passer are Hendry and McKenna. Then there's Tierney, not the third best passer, but he is the best defender.

Ryan Porteous with a pass success rate of 84% in the Championship isn't great.

I'd also try Taylor at right wing back.

Q: "He's left footed"

A: All the better to show wingers down the line, as opposed to cutting inside.

Edited by SlayerX

10 hours ago, SlayerX said:

I'd probably start the Finland game with the back three that I'd start against Germany.

The two best passer are Hendry and McKenna. Then there's Tierney, not the third best passer, but he is the best defender.

Totally disagree, If McKenna's got a weakness its his distribution. Tierney is much better with the ball IMO.

10 hours ago, SlayerX said:

Porteous is a much better passer of the ball than McKenna

Posted (edited)

13 minutes ago, paddymcp said:

Totally disagree, If McKenna's got a weakness its his distribution. Tierney is much better with the ball IMO.

According to sofascore it's 80% vs 90%

The main reason why Arteta doesn't take a shine to Tierney is because he doesn't trust Tierney being in inverted fullback..

Screenshot_20240605_094844_Sofascore.jpg

Screenshot_20240605_094829_Sofascore.jpg

Edited by SlayerX

Passing stats for a centre half can also be incredibly skewed - someone that passes to their centre half partner or Porteous who generally tries to be quite progressive for example. 

Posted (edited)
On 04/06/2024 at 10:12, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Adams

McGinn.  McTominay

McGregor       Gilmour.  

Robertson.                           McCrorie 

Tierney   Hanley.  Porteous

Gordon 

Swap Gunn and Ralston in for Gordon and McRorie,

Give that pair and Christie the second half, pretty much the team for Germany in 😮 9 days time

Edited by MarkoP

Posted (edited)

I’ve looked through the Finland squad and we should be beating this shite with ease, but everyone said the same about the last two games against the 2 occupied territories. 

Edited by MazzyStar

If Scott McTominay doesn't play some part in this game then I have fear that he could be reduced to a sub when the euros come.

The end couple months of the season he picked up about 3 different knocks. I hope it's not a culmination of all these injuries.