Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 v 🇫🇮 Finland

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

Anyone being negative after what was quite blatantly a training match, affected by all the subs is hugely in need of chilling the f**k out. 

But this is not 1990s or before, matches in the finals will be affected by numerous substitutions, it's not now restricted to two changes... Doesn't tonight highlight the deficiencies in our squad depth?

I thought we were decent enough and had the game won until we decided to start gifting people caps for a send off. 

Not a bit deal. My biggest criticism is that our preparation has been a bit of a nothing. A series of games that will not resemble any of our group fixtures up against packed defences with no edge to the game. 

Next Friday will be a different game and we will see. I think we have a chance. 

Oh and call me bitter but Ryan jack was fucking shite 😂

If you're going to read anything positive or negative into a game played at such a pedestrian pace, I actually feel better about coming away from that with a 2-2 draw than I did at 0-0, despite blowing a lead. The big concern lately has been our inability to break teams down, and it was important we showed we could do it against a team sitting in who are above the standard of Gibraltar. Obviously Finland still aren't near the level of Germany, Hungary or Switzerland, but that was at least encouraging that if we go behind in a game and our opposition sit in we aren't going to be totally lost.

It certainly confirmed though that Shankland has no chance of starting ahead of Adams, not that that was ever really in doubt. He was so static in the first half that Christie and McGinn really had a thankless task trying to do their own jobs without a centre forward giving them an option for a pass, then basically having to share the role of centre forward as well because Shankland was apparently incapable of ever showing for a pass to give anyone behind him an option. He did take his goal well when the chance came, and in a more open game after we scored he looked a lot better, but his role at this point is surely desperation sub when we're needing a goal.

5 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

The Proclaimers would kick the f**k out of Lordi

I'll be controversial and say that I'm not a fan of The Proclaimers. Lordi are good but I was thinking more HIM, Nightwish and Children of Bodom.

To be even more controversial regarding the penalty, the Finnish player would be entitled to take Craig Gordon's reg plate had he been a car.

4 hours ago, Leith Green said:

They've all got Taylor Swift tickets for tomorrow night

I think they had Friday night tickets. They only switched on after they went 2-0 down so I reckon they went for Paramore then left early.

I'd do the same in fairness.

Posted (edited)

It was a good warm up for the Euros. No injuries plus a couple of goals. It'll do me.

The standouts were Tierney, Gilmour and McGregor.

It says it all that a fullback (Tierney) is our best centerback. I'd actually go further and say that our three fullbacks (Robertson, Tierney and Hickey) are better than all of at defending than all of our centerback.

Gilmour and McGregor are extraordinary: They keep the ball. They pass to their team mates.

Those two things sound like the easiest thing to do at football, but after watching England against Iceland, a team worth £684m couldn't manage to string three passes together.

We are blessed that we have two deep lying playmakers of the calibre of Gilmour and McGregor. Those two would walk into this England midfield. Easily.

England simply don't have a midfielder who can control the midfield. Rice can't, Trent can't, Wharton can't, Gallagher and Mainoo can't.

That's why Italy won the previous Euro final.

Scott McTominay not getting any minutes in these friendlies, and seeing him solemn at the lap of honour (being embraced by Clarke) gives me the feeling that he'll play no part against Germany.

I just wish that Doak was fit for the previous six months, having minutes on the park for Liverpool and training well. As he's the type of player we need. A player who can beat players and create something out of nothing.

I loathe to say it, as I like Craig Gordon, but it was generally his fault that we didn't win. His swansong wasn't quite up there with Zinedine Zidane's France's au revoir, but it wasn't far off.

In fairness, if the penalty was given for that, the rules are becoming ludicrous.

Steve Clarke's sentimental gesture was costly.

Again, there was no injuries. That's a good news day.

Edited by SlayerX

6 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Respectfully………..bollocks.

if that 2v2 had resulted in two attackers destroying our two defenders when three might have prevented it, then fair enough. 
However, 6 defenders wouldn’t have stopped the ball randomly falling at the feet of the attacker and him ruthlessly and clinically exploiting a woefully out of position goalkeeper. Even then, as much as Marshall was at fault, it was an exquisitely executed finish. 

If it had never resulted in a goal or anything else it would still have been a bad decision. At the time, I was shouting at the TV for him not to hit the shot obviously without having any clue what was going to unfold, because I knew we must be light behind him. What happened next was incredible but we'd have been at too high a risk of being exposed regardless.

I think some people just don't understand a defender's job.

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Callum McGregor would ‘walk into’ England’s midfield in front of Declan Rice and Kobbie Mainoo. It’s an absolutely laughable claim. 4A0C309C-6B26-4029-BF71-BB446AEBBF05.png.93bd6401839417f33d8430f372b40067.png

You're picking the wrong night to talk those two up.

They were bullied and outclassed by a player who plays for Burley and a player who plays for IFK Norrköping.

Oh. Are you one of these people who think that a player is always worth the money that a team pays?

I know all about Mainoo. Trust me.

He's played 24 EPL games for Manchester United and he's England’s first choice midfielder.

He's had a good season but there is no way he should be first choice yet. He is good at press resistance, good balance but he's still raw, kinda weak and tends to flit out of games often.

I didn't say anything about Rice. He's actually a defensive midfielder that we need.

Nice photograph. Try to use words, though. Doesn't actually constitute a cogent rebuttal.

Edited by SlayerX

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Just back in. Very frustrating, but at least the overall performance was much better than some others from recent times. The subs killed it - not for the first time. See also v Poland; Austria; Norway; Netherlands and a few others.

Positives: Gilmour looked superb. Tierney and Robertson did well throughout. Similarly thought McGregor had a good game. Ralston not bad. Christie lively.

Conway and Morgan looked fast and keen. Certainly something we don’t have elsewhere.

Concerns: someone is going to have to convince me that Shankland is it. Looks slow, and immobile. Looks like getting around the pitch is an effort. Took his goal well, but unimpressed overall.

Jack looks like a competition winner. Clearly overweight and touch/decision-making brutal. 

Concerned over McGinn and have been for a while. Had some nice turns and finds some space, but touch seems to let him down more and his passes not accurate enough. Feels like he’s not been at his level for us this season. 

Perhaps this is all harsh, and TV made it look very different. 

At least the Germans aren’t being too convincing. Reckon we’ll step it up over the next couple of weeks, and we do play far better against teams that don’t play a low block.

Had that been a competitive match we’d have seen them out of sight - easily. None of our games this month will be like Northern Ireland.

Time for Conway to announce himself like Owen in 98.

Not long home also and wouldnt disagree with much of that. You clearly see a different game in person as on tv. 

I thought the game was ok. We played some quite nice stuff at times, especially first half, but we're overplaying a bit and too determined to find a perfect goal rather than just put in a cross. The draw following a collapse is disappointing but we'd removed half the starters by then and it showed.

What did we learn? 

Well I imagine we started pretty close to first eleven next week. If fit enough McTominay starts for probably Christie. Adams definitely starts up top. Some debate about Hanley v Porteous / Hendry I suppose.

Thought Robertson was good. Ralston on the other side had a good game too. He's not Hickey or even Patterson but he's the next best and any thoughts of a debate between him and McCrorie were surely dispelled by their respective performances this week.

Gilmour had an excellent game and for me confirmed he should start next week. Sadly that probably means Christie doesnt. 

I thought McGinn was better tonight. Surprised to read him getting some stick. He's not on form though. 

Nice to see Gordon get on but it ended pretty disastrously. I've not seen it back but in person at the time I thought he got a bit of the ball. I did think both goals predominantly came down to poor defending rather than poor goalkeeping.

Which brings me to the defence. In starting Hanley both games Clarke's made it clear he wants to play him. Has he done enough to earn it? Probably just about but he's certainly not where he was pre achilles injury yet. Surprised to read a fair bit of criticism here though. He's lost a yard of pace compared to 4 years ago and he's not sharp on the turn but he didnt do too much wrong. For me no coincidence we fell apart at the back when he went off. McKenna's not good enough in the centre of a three. Hendry can do it but Hanley's better at it, even now.

I've no idea what whoever picked Man of the Match was on. I genuinely though Shankland looked at least a yard too slow all night. He scored, of course, and if we need a goal late in a game in Germany he's the perfect man for it, but he's too slow to play a lone striker role from the start. Adams has to start if fit. 

Conway did well when he came on and was unlucky in the last minute. Good movement. Taylor did ok too but he's clearly not displacing Robertson. Dont think any of the other subs did anything to advance their cause.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Gunn. Fine bar the decision to come out when he was lobbed first half.

Ralston  - encouragingly good.   I think he's positionally very bad,  but gets stuck in and decent going forward.

Hanley - miles off it all night.   Absolutely should be no more than backup. 

Hendry.  Mixed bag, some very good,  some worrying lapses

Tierney- solid game attacking and defensively 

Robertson  - excellent all night

Gilmour - best player on the park

McGinn - very poor.  Bad decisions, sloppy touches and one ludicrous dive.  Hoping he'll come good on the night cause he's been off it for us a lot lately

McGregor- rock sold and underappreciated

Christie - really strong game.   Covers some amount of ground. 

Shankland- needs to adapt to our style of play - looks frustrated when his runs aren't spotted.  Cracking goal and very good touch in the build up - next b5 minutes looked far more relaxed 

Subs -

Gordon - sad way to end it and very unlucky to concede the pen

Jack - awful

Morgan - looked lively and a threat 

McKenna - cannot remember him doing anything 

Conway - looked sharp and keen

Taylor - Greg Taylor 

25 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

You're picking the wrong night to talk those two up.

They were bullied and outclassed by a player who plays for Burley and a player who plays for IFK Norrköping.

Oh. Are you one of these people who think that a player is always worth the money that a team pays?

I know all about Mainoo. Trust me.

He's played 24 games and he's England’s first choice midfielder.

He's had a good season but there is no way he should be first choice yet. He is good at press resistance but he's still raw, kinda weak and tends to flit out of games often.

I didn't say anything about Rice. He's actually a defensive midfielder that we need.

Nice photograph. Try to use words, though. Doesn't actually constitute a cogent rebuttal.

You’re right, I should base my opinion on one game (a friendly). I reckon McGregor would definitely start for England over one of the most exciting young players in arguably the world’s top league, who has just bossed the midfield of probably the second best club side in the world in a cup final. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

You’re right, I should base my opinion on one game (a friendly). I reckon McGregor would definitely start for England over one of the most exciting young players in arguably the world’s top league, who has just bossed the midfield of probably the second best club side in the world in a cup final. 

I've seen Mainoo all season, including the pre season games, including the game against Real Madrid when he picked up that bad injury.

If you want to follow the hype train, fine, that's your perogative. You sure as hell aren't alone.

England could call up a league 1 player and suddenly he would have a £50m price tag on him, leaving the mindless drones to be drooling over him.

Adam Wharton was playing for Blackburn in the Championship about six months ago. Sixteen EPL games later for Crystal Palace and he's on the plane to Germany with the label "England's Toni Kroos" around his neck like a noose.

Mainoo is raw. It's only due to England being weak in midfield that he's even going to Germany.

No one knew about him this time last year.

If England had the likes of Scholes, Hargreaves, Carrick, etc. He wouldn't be on the plane.

If Manchester United had prime Scholes, Keane, Ince, Robson, Carrick, Fletcher or Park, Mainoo would still be playing for the United youth team.

No doubt about it.

Kalvin Phillips was labelled the Yorkshire Pirlo a couple years ago. That aged well.

If you disagree, fine, you don't learn by having scorn as your reactionary response, though.

Edited by SlayerX

The right wingback spot is an issue.

McCrorie is too safe and Ralston is a defensive bombscare.

Clarke should've went down the Craig Brown route by trying a midfielder out there. Maybe Christie or Forrest.

Thank God social media wasn't a thing back then, with all the reactionary negative Norman's out there Brown would have been eviscerated for playing Scotland's player of the year, and a midfield who scored 20+ goals as a wingback.

4 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

But this is not 1990s or before, matches in the finals will be affected by numerous substitutions, it's not now restricted to two changes... Doesn't tonight highlight the deficiencies in our squad depth?

indeed. 15 mins ro go against the Swiss we could change our goalkeeper just to give a sub goalie wee run out and then make 6-7 additional  changes despite the starting 11 playing well and having no injuries. 

I was there last night. At 2-0 we were coasting. We were doing lots of nice sharp one touch passing and it was all Scotland. Then we made a load of subs and it ended up 2-2. I couldn’t see either Finland goal well cause I was in the front rows of the East Stand and the view from there isn’t great. Finland’s disallowed goal was the best ‘goal’ of the night.

We didn’t look to have much firepower in that team without McTominay. Our main tactic was some nice passing then a cross into the box. 

Of the players who played or came on as subs, and who’ll possibly be involved at the Euro: Ryan Jack didn’t look fit; Shankland scored but he didn’t look that sharp. Conway and Morgan both had lively wee cameos but I’m not sure sheer effort is enough at international level, although the likes of Dykes and Miller may disprove that theory. McGinn looked like he’s had a long season.

I’m assuming we played Gibraltar and Finland as a chance of beating lesser opponents and getting the players feeling good about themselves? Something like that anyway. Hope the tactic works and we can raise our game against the better opponents we’ll face in the next three games.

Anyway, c’mon Scotland! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 We’ve Germany 🇩🇪 in the opener In Munich next Friday. Might as well enjoy it.