Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 v 🇫🇮 Finland

Presumably - injuries aside - the team to face Germany will start Friday.

Looks like Hanley is the preferred CCB if stays fit; Porteous or Hendry for RCB; and Tierney LCB.  Ralston is presumably first choice.

Only other decision is Gilmour or Christie.  Both options have proven to be effective, though I expect Christie to start.

Adams also presumably first choice - clearly in great shape, and form has been good.

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Looks like Hanley is the preferred CCB if stays fit

Not sure. Gibraltar was primarily about minutes. Hendry played 90mins for Al Ettifaq on 27-May so probably was the least in need of minutes. Hanley needed game-time as did Porteous and McCrorie. Tierney is the only certainty for me in the back-3. 

If Hanley needs game time, which he might having only got 45mins on Monday, then there could be a bit of mix and match on Friday to give players time they need. If Souttar and Armstrong don't play they'd be candidates to be left out: There are 990 minutes available before Euro 2024. They have to give them to who need them and are part of the final squad. I think Friday will still have an element of minutes about it.

The starting team might be close to Germany or maybe the team that finish the game or maybe it'll be mix and match. Ideally we'd be in a position to play the full game like it was the Germany game, but are we in that position? Minutes are a precious commodity. 

Edited by 2426255

Hanley's played 8 minutes of club football in 3 months, and about 7 games all season. Madness IMO if he's going to be starting at the Euros. Has to be from Porteous, McKenna, Hendry and Tierney. Its not like we're missing out on Chiellini here ffs, just play the alternatives that aren't 32 and barely kicked a ball in 12 months.

On 05/06/2024 at 09:41, craigkillie said:

Porteous is the best passer of the ball in that back three.

Tierney for me. Porteous is good though, but if he's boxed in then he can be a little wild. Hendry is quite safe with his passing even from RCB.

Yeah. Hanley missed a chunk of the season. Even some Norwich fans were shocked that he was called up.

He won't start the Euros. No chance. It'll be three of McKenna, Porteous, Hendry and Tierney.

Fitness not being an issue, Kieran Tierney is the only central defender that's guaranteed a start.

Hanley is a good back up. But he won't start any of the upcoming matches.

6 hours ago, Butters Scotch said:

Both Tierney and Hendry are better passers aswell as Cooper, Souttar

Watch Hendry's passing tomorrow night if he plays, his use of the ball isn't great. He is exceptionally confident on the ball and is good at dribbling out from the back, but when he actually has to use it he tends to just keep it simple. Porteous can play fairly accurate 40-50 yard passes out from the back which is great for quick counters.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Watch Hendry's passing tomorrow night if he plays, his use of the ball isn't great. He is exceptionally confident on the ball and is good at dribbling out from the back, but when he actually has to use it he tends to just keep it simple. Porteous can play fairly accurate 40-50 yard passes out from the back which is great for quick counters.

I guess it depends on the type of passing we are talking about here, Porteus is probably better at pinging balls out wide. 

We don't tend to lump balls forward though unless its a clearance, usually we try build the attack up by playing it into a McGregor or Gilmour in the middle.

I remember Porteus hitting a number of wayward forward passes Scotland or difficult balls into players feet for Scotland but they're all much of a muchness IMO. KT is by far the most competent passer.

Porteous is excellent at passing through the lines. It’s far from the greatest example of it, but the McGinn chance just after half time in Oslo springs to mind. 

I like Porteous' confidence in playing forward passes, but I'm not actually sure how good a passer he is. I often think he whips them in with way too much pace or about two-feet in the air, both of which make it hard for his teammate to control the ball. 

58 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I like Porteous' confidence in playing forward passes, but I'm not actually sure how good a passer he is. I often think he whips them in with way too much pace or about two-feet in the air, both of which make it hard for his teammate to control the ball. 

Aye totally agree, this was the point I was trying to make but you've put it better than I did 

I thought it was a very good press conference from Steve Clarke. Starts after 16:00 mins.

Scott McTominay will not start the Finland game, but will play a part and there will be an element of mix and match, but less so than the Gibraltar game. Clarke talks about the difference between the perception on the outside and the reality on the inside which I think fans and media don't respect. He talks Conway and Morgan and overall he was generally quite upbeat.

He was asked about the goalkeeper, but dodged it. Wasn't asked about John Souttar although I understand it's accepted now that he'll be cut.

This is live on BBC Scodland too.  When was the last non tournament Scodland home game live on the BBC?  Must be a fair while?

21 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

This is live on BBC Scodland too.  When was the last non tournament Scodland home game live on the BBC?  Must be a fair while?

I’ll bite and fall for it - a whole three months. 

Just now, PSJ.84 said:

I’ll bite and fall for it - a whole three months. 

🤣 I knew it would be in the last month or something as soon as I posted it.

Apparently the team from the open training session was:

Gunn

Hendry-Hanley-Tierney

Ralston-Gilmour-McGregor-Robertson

Christie-Adams-McGinn

Gordon, Armstrong, McTominay, Conway and Morgan surely to feature off the bench. 

10 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I thought it was a very good press conference from Steve Clarke. Starts after 16:00 mins.

Scott McTominay will not start the Finland game, but will play a part and there will be an element of mix and match, but less so than the Gibraltar game. Clarke talks about the difference between the perception on the outside and the reality on the inside which I think fans and media don't respect. He talks Conway and Morgan and overall he was generally quite upbeat.

He was asked about the goalkeeper, but dodged it. Wasn't asked about John Souttar although I understand it's accepted now that he'll be cut.

Good listen.

Quite a sickener that Dykes was still touch and go to be included - potentially being fit for the final group game. Obviously also good news that his ankle injury isn't a break.

Who knows, if the squad can be altered for injuries up to the 14th, we might see him yet. Unlikely but you never know.

23 hours ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Presumably - injuries aside - the team to face Germany will start Friday.

Looks like Hanley is the preferred CCB if stays fit; Porteous or Hendry for RCB; and Tierney LCB.  Ralston is presumably first choice.

Only other decision is Gilmour or Christie.  Both options have proven to be effective, though I expect Christie to start.

Adams also presumably first choice - clearly in great shape, and form has been good.

23 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Not sure. Gibraltar was primarily about minutes. Hendry played 90mins for Al Ettifaq on 27-May so probably was the least in need of minutes. Hanley needed game-time as did Porteous and McCrorie. Tierney is the only certainty for me in the back-3. 

If Hanley needs game time, which he might having only got 45mins on Monday, then there could be a bit of mix and match on Friday to give players time they need. If Souttar and Armstrong don't play they'd be candidates to be left out: There are 990 minutes available before Euro 2024. They have to give them to who need them and are part of the final squad. I think Friday will still have an element of minutes about it.

The starting team might be close to Germany or maybe the team that finish the game or maybe it'll be mix and match. Ideally we'd be in a position to play the full game like it was the Germany game, but are we in that position? Minutes are a precious commodity. 

23 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

Hanley's played 8 minutes of club football in 3 months, and about 7 games all season. Madness IMO if he's going to be starting at the Euros. Has to be from Porteous, McKenna, Hendry and Tierney. Its not like we're missing out on Chiellini here ffs, just play the alternatives that aren't 32 and barely kicked a ball in 12 months.

44 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Apparently the team from the open training session was:

Gunn

Hendry-Hanley-Tierney

Ralston-Gilmour-McGregor-Robertson

Christie-Adams-McGinn

Gordon, Armstrong, McTominay, Conway and Morgan surely to feature off the bench. 

Meh, I don't see any real need to field the "best eleven" tonight. We know pretty much what it is and they've played together enough to be familiar whether they play tonight or not. I just said on the Tierney thread I'd sit Tierney, Robertson, McGinn and Adams down tonight. The first three are crucial to us (and McGinn in particular has looked a bit jaded lately and was anonymous v Gibraltar other than his eventual involvement in the 2nd goal). Adams in Dykes absence has to be available for Germany and he's been carrying a knock.

Hanley needs minutes. I do think Clarke wants to start him against Germany but he needs to get minutes for match sharpness so he needs to play at least an hour tonight.