Jimmy Wightman

I couldn't think of a suitable place to post this but as he went to mainly East of Scotland games (although he did go to the Lowland League and Women's matches as well) it seemed appropriate to put it here (sorry Vlodek for nicking your photo) 

jimmywightman.jpg.75002fa82699a85df1258879e4dcd6dc.jpg

A lot of you might recognise Jimmy Wightman on the left of this photo. I was told at the League Cup Final the other day that he'd sadly died last week after an road accident. Jimmy was a well kent face getting around a lot of the grounds - I'd bump into him at Spartans, Musselburgh, Dunbar, Tranent, Civil Service Strollers and a lot of the other grounds around Edinburgh. He certainly enjoyed his football (and a pint or two)
I knew him as Jim the Postie as he'd worked for the Royal Mail. Others knew him as Drylaw Jim or even Auld Jim (I think he was in his early 70s). He'd been a Hearts supporter in his youth and had managed amateur teams including Drylaw Hearts. He'd also attended Meadowbank Thistle games on occasion but mostly watched East of Scotland. He'd always buy a programme when available and would take notes on the games - on the back of an envelope if no programme was on sale. 

I never actually heard Jimmy ever say that a game was rotten, he just seemed to be one of those guys who liked going to football in all weathers.  

Posted (edited)
On 03/06/2024 at 22:51, tamthebam said:

I couldn't think of a suitable place to post this but as he went to mainly East of Scotland games (although he did go to the Lowland League and Women's matches as well) it seemed appropriate to put it here (sorry Vlodek for nicking your photo) 

jimmywightman.jpg.75002fa82699a85df1258879e4dcd6dc.jpg

A lot of you might recognise Jimmy Wightman on the left of this photo. I was told at the League Cup Final the other day that he'd sadly died last week after an road accident. Jimmy was a well kent face getting around a lot of the grounds - I'd bump into him at Spartans, Musselburgh, Dunbar, Tranent, Civil Service Strollers and a lot of the other grounds around Edinburgh. He certainly enjoyed his football (and a pint or two)
I knew him as Jim the Postie as he'd worked for the Royal Mail. Others knew him as Drylaw Jim or even Auld Jim (I think he was in his early 70s). He'd been a Hearts supporter in his youth and had managed amateur teams including Drylaw Hearts. He'd also attended Meadowbank Thistle games on occasion but mostly watched East of Scotland. He'd always buy a programme when available and would take notes on the games - on the back of an envelope if no programme was on sale. 

I never actually heard Jimmy ever say that a game was rotten, he just seemed to be one of those guys who liked going to football in all weathers.  

Good guy was Drylaw Jim he came to our games a few times a season. 

Edited by cowdenbeath