Local Urban Legends

18 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I used to work with a fellah who grew up in Blackpool.

He swore blind that there's a kebab shop down there that it a front for a sex trafficking organisation and that murdered prostitutes end up as donner meat.

There was a documentary about a street in Blackpool where the takeaway owners were passing some of the local teenage girls around in exchange for bags of chips and the like. Most of the takeaway perverts were those nasty dark-skinned furrin blokes, so the Britain First types were delighted to have some ammunition for a while.

Then it turned out that at least some of the girls involved had been pimped out to friends and family by their own parents, so the impression you ended up with was that Blackpool is just a hellish nightmare of depravity.

Chopping up prostitutes sounds like a lot more work than the average takeaway owner would be willing to put in.

On 09/06/2024 at 12:24, Hedgecutter said:

A post on another thread about an urban 'myth' from uni had me thinking about the various urban legends doing the rounds out there.  The well-entrenched one that pops straight to mind for me is Marischal College in Aberdeen being Hitler's favourite building in the UK, which he would have made a residence or HQ had he won WW2.  I don't think any student can be in Aberdeen for over a week and not hear that one.

I overheard somebody in Banchory say that it has the widest pavement in the UK after somebody beside him said "tell me something I don't know".  I feel both proud and guilty about that one as I fabricated that blatant lie when passing an infilled bus stop and added it to the Banchory Wikipedia page when bored one afternoon.  Some mod took it down a long time back once they started taking referencing seriously, but I'm entertained that at least one person still thinks it's true.

Anyway, which urban myths/legends have you heard from your part of the land?  Whether it's half the town or just a handful of people who genuinely think it's legit, let's get them shared...

Don't know if it's true, but supposedly another lovely group of human beings also liked Aberdeen. Allegedly the Bin Laden's went to Uni in the city.

Edited by johnnydun

7 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Don't know if it's true, but supposedly another lovely group of human beings also liked Aberdeen. Allegedly the Bin Laden's went to Uni in the city.

The North Tower Lights of Old Aberdeen.

On 15/06/2024 at 13:12, tongue_tied_danny said:

He swore blind that there's a kebab shop down there that it a front for a sex trafficking organisation and that murdered prostitutes end up as donner meat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Charlene_Downes

On 15/06/2024 at 13:12, tongue_tied_danny said:

Donna Kebab with Nan bread.

• 2 weeks later...

One myth from my student days. 

A female student was taking part in a biology class. The students were to swab the insides of their mouths, then apply the swab to a microscope slide. Then, students would identify the cell types. The female student couldn't identify one cell and asked the lecturer to help. 

He comes over, looks down the microscope and declares: "that is a sperm cell".

The older I get, the more convinced I am that this never happened. 

20 hours ago, scottsdad said:

One myth from my student days. 

A female student was taking part in a biology class. The students were to swab the insides of their mouths, then apply the swab to a microscope slide. Then, students would identify the cell types. The female student couldn't identify one cell and asked the lecturer to help. 

He comes over, looks down the microscope and declares: "that is a sperm cell".

The older I get, the more convinced I am that this never happened. 

You were that student, weren't you? 

On 15/06/2024 at 13:38, BFTD said:

so the impression you ended up with was that Blackpool is just a hellish nightmare of depravity.

Having spent time in Blackpool, I can assure you this isn't far removed from the truth of the matter.

Anyway. In the spirit of the thread, and further to earlier mentions of similar, back in the early 90s I was told that Edinburgh University's Pollock Halls were modelled on a Dutch women's prison.

Big Andy Hardcore & Sean, the 2 hardest guys from St. Andrews High

Got battered by a guy in  Auburn gym.

Not true,  Andy got fucked up while Sean ran away.

I became Sean best pal, and held his hand as he died....

Roomers still go run the streets

But Big Andy will never lie.

3 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Big Andy Hardcore & Sean, the 2 hardest guys from St. Andrews High

Got battered by a guy in  Auburn gym.

Not true,  Andy got fucked up while Sean ran away.

I became Sean best pal, and held his hand as he died....

Roomers still go run the streets

But Big Andy will never lie.

Eh?  That doesnt even rhyme........

On 11/06/2024 at 21:53, tamthebam said:

There was meant to be a lift for guest from the North British (Balmoral) Hotel to Waverley Station but I'm not sure where this was exactly

Can confirm this was the case though removed in the last few years, a "secret" staircase still exists as a fire escape. 

There is also a goods lift from the back of house corridor down to the Waverley concourse. 

My granny told me that a nearby house had a spring under it and it required a water pump to drain the water away and that you could hear it working. 

Despite straining my ears I never could. 

The old git was a great one for making up shite. 

There used to be a private girls school - St Margarets - at the junction of Cameron Toll (its now a travel lodge) and our buses into town used to go right past it.

One of our mates big brothers told us that the girls there were all "gagging for it", and all you had to do was whistle outside the rooms and they would open the windows and let you in to get a shag.

I know, I know its all a bit "Gregorys Girl".

Its fair to say that us, in our early teens, tried this a few times and - incredibly - none of the windows opened, and none of us got that ride...............................

9 hours ago, Leith Green said:

There used to be a private girls school - St Margarets - at the junction of Cameron Toll (its now a travel lodge) and our buses into town used to go right past it.

One of our mates big brothers told us that the girls there were all "gagging for it", and all you had to do was whistle outside the rooms and they would open the windows and let you in to get a shag.

I know, I know its all a bit "Gregorys Girl".

Its fair to say that us, in our early teens, tried this a few times and - incredibly - none of the windows opened, and none of us got that ride...............................

Boys from my posh school used to get invited to their Christmas dance. 

I was a bit scared of them so never went. 

Now you tell me.... 

Probably doesn't fit properly in this thread, but the subject of the tweet was an absolute legend round here !

Organic Jim used to wander round the streets of The Grange, Morningside, Bruntsfield, Marchmont etc with about 3 trolley bags and a shopping trolley full of crap. He would chat to you for hours (escape was almost futile) before asking if he could leave his "valuables" in your garden. You knew roughly where he was living when you saw the pile of worthless junk outside a posh house !

He lived in a tent most of the time, didn't really want to go in a shelter.

He was a genuine local institution and afaik the last of the true "tramps" in town.