Alan Hansen

2 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I'd strongly disagree with you. Having seen them all play, McLeish and Miller were better than Alan Hansen, as was David Narey. The reason Hansen only got 26 caps is because this was the best choice we'd ever had in defence.

Miller and Narey class acts I agree. McLeish a plodder in comparison. Alex McLeish was not a better footballer than Alan Hansen. 

2 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

Miller and Narey class acts I agree. McLeish a plodder in comparison. Alex McLeish was not a better footballer than Alan Hansen. 

McLeish and Miller were a better partnership than Alan and anyone else (including either of those two beside him).

1 minute ago, kennie makevin said:

He was a different type of defender. McLeish was the guy that went to win the headers while Miller played with his feet, in the same way that at Liverpool Mark Lawrenson won the headers and Hansen was the footballer. McLeish and Miller made a better partnership for Scotland than Hansen plus anyone else. Also relevant that Aberdeen's keeper was first choice too, so the three of them had a lot of familiarity.

Wee story from last year.

Alan's family were neighbours of Mrs printer's growing up in Sauchie and the mums in particular were pally. At my father-in-law's funeral last year Alan's sister came and in line after the service my elder daughter asked her if she was Alan's mother (she's only a couple of years than him).

She wasn't impressed. 🙂

8 minutes ago, printer said:

McLeish and Miller were a better partnership than Alan and anyone else (including either of those two beside him).

They did help us to two /  three world cups !

They also helped a non old firm , domestic team to great European success !

48 minutes ago, printer said:

Yup, sometimes a partnership is greater than the sum of its parts.

Oh to live in an era again when players of the calibre of Hansen and Narey struggle to get a game!

Edited by ArabFC

2 hours ago, GordonS said:

Most memorable Hansen commentary for me was when he had a go at David Luiz. He said defenders need to be pessimists, always thinking about what could go wrong, what if we lose the ball here, and Luiz is an optimist. So true. I would prefer him over almost any of the pundits doing the rounds today.

Hopefully he makes a full recovery, he's much too young.

The best coaching advice to any child imo is drilling into them to always think "what if" when playing 

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

No mention of what the issue is, from what I've seen, so no idea if this is something sudden or a longer-term thing that he's kept private. I'm guessing it's probably the latter?

Ive had a trawl but nothing doing.

2 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Yup, sometimes a partnership is greater than the sum of its parts.

Oh to live in an era again when players of the calibre of Hansen and Narey struggle to get a game!

Agree. 

They were all a bit before my time so can't comment on abilities. 

Do find it mental that a man who played over 600 games for one of the best sides in Europe, winning 8 league titles, 2 fa cups, 4 league cups and three European cups only got 26 caps for Scotland. Is he only being Kenny Dalglish in being the most decorated Scottish Footballer? 

Edited by dundeefc1783

Shite news. He was my idol growing up. I aspired to play like him, the tall, elegant player who effortlessly breezed between defending to striding forward with composure and intent. The No6 shirt in the kitbag was the one I went for first. Of course I had less skill than he had in one toe. It doesn't sound good but hopefully he can recover/pull through.

3 hours ago, dundeefc1783 said:

Agree. 

They were all a bit before my time so can't comment on abilities. 

Do find it mental that a man who played over 600 games for one of the best sides in Europe, winning 8 league titles, 2 fa cups, 4 league cups and three European cups only got 26 caps for Scotland. Is he only being Kenny Dalglish in being the most decorated Scottish Footballer? 

Narey was one of the key players in United"s domestic and European success

and Raith Rovers

His playing career was before my time really. As a pundit I liked him.

Oddly I had randomly watched a few videos with him in it after the Finland game finished.