Germany - Scotland

Old Bing

3 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

We're just a goalie, two centre halves, a ball winning midfielder, a number 10 and a centre forward away from being a half decent side tbf.

Exact

Sorry if I'm repeating what's been said before, but, and I say this as a huge Clarke fan, the root of our problems was a midfield that was set up all wrong. We should not have had a flat four out of possession. Many of us talked earlier about the threat of Kroos dictating from deep and that's what caused the first two goal, maybe the third too.

Every time Kroos got the ball in the first half he had an ocean of space, even well into our half. He was able to play passes through our flat four, and the first two goals came from passes behind McGregor.

We needed to have one midfielder pressing Kroos and another - McGregor - screening the back three.

Our press was a shambles at times too.

All the criticism on the radio is for the players and fair enough, especially Porteous, but if we're set up right I think they play much better than that. They got spooked by being picked apart with ease.

If we give Xhaka that space on Wednesday we have literally no chance.

There was nothing positive to take from that other than keeping it down a 4 goal margain which says it all. 

I fear we will be done by this time on Wednesday.

That was very poor,

No getting away from it,

I know Germany are a good team, but we made them look like they are the best team in the tournament, which they are not, in fact I would argue that they would be struggling to get into the top 5 teams tbh.

I think England, France, Portugal, Italy and Belgium would all beat this Germany team, maybe even Croatia as well,

We didn't deal with Kroos and their quick switches of play from right to left and vice versa, they totally exploited our weaknesses and we did nothing to counter until it was too late, 

I'm happy that we qualified and mostly was happy with the Job Clarke is doing but we are off to a shocker now in the tournament and can't keep talking about mismatches, other smaller teams are able to make it more difficult against the bigger teams, so im afraid to say that if things don't improve against Switzerland and Hungary then questions will need to be asked about the mentality and effeciency of the players and management of the Scotland team.

Must do better.

Clarke needs to have a big re-think how we're setup and approach games generally.

Lambs to the slaughter from the first whistle.

Players in white strolling about doing whatever they wanted whenever they wanted.

I can accept they're miles better than us, I can't accept a tepid, weak, shite the bed performance that we got from our team tonight. No guts, no fight, no heart. That just shouldn't happen from a Scotland national team.

2 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Tell you for what, we desperately missed Dykes tonight. He would have thrown Rudiger around like an empty trackie.

He'd have done more than Adams, that's for sure. Never understand why Dykes gets it so tight yet Adams is hailed as some sort of superstar.

Well that wasn't very good. 

Goalkeeper should have done better for two goals plus the disallowed goal.

Defence was all over the place, no organisation, nobody closing down, rash decisions all over the place.

Midfield were awful - I'd have brought Gilmour on for MacGregor after about 15 minutes he kept losing cheap possession. McTominay and McGinn barely touched it and McGinn had been poor for months now in a Scotland shirt. 

Adams had nothing to work with, we'd have been better off trying to play it into feet or playing it over the top for Adams to run onto but instead we played high balls for Rudiger to head clear. Pointless.

In terms of manager - not sure what the gameplan was. Not sure why McTominay takes the set pieces when he's such a threat in the air. Loads to think about.

Just now, GordonS said:

Sorry if I'm repeating what's been said before, but, and I say this as a huge Clarke fan, the root of our problems was a midfield that was set up all wrong. We should not have had a flat four out of possession. Many of us talked earlier about the threat of Kroos dictating from deep and that's what caused the first two goal, maybe the third too.

Every time Kroos got the ball in the first half he had an ocean of space, even well into our half. He was able to play passes through our flat four, and the first two goals came from passes behind McGregor.

We needed to have one midfielder pressing Kroos and another - McGregor - screening the back three.

Our press was a shambles at times too.

All the criticism on the radio is for the players and fair enough, especially Porteous, but if we're set up right I think they play much better than that. They got spooked by being picked apart with ease.

If we give Xhaka that space on Wednesday we have literally no chance.

That Scotland team wouldn't have beaten Morton tonight.  And that's where the nation currently stands in international football.  And the reasons long predate Steve Clarke and his squad.

6 minutes ago, milhouse said:

Some sort of discernable game plan would have been nice. Clarke is a pisshead but safe in his job getting to European Championships which are easier to get to than ever before.

What game plan should have been used against that Germany team this evening: how would it have worked exactly? 

The Euros weren't easier to get to in 2016, when Scotland failed to do so. 

FWIW I'd say that Scotland are currently performing at their expected level - no better, but no worse - which means reaching every other Euros but making up the numbers and hoping to scrape out the group. Taking a bleaching by a big gun is no different to Slovakia taking one by Spain in the last tournament and returning to do... probably not much again this time around. 

That's ultimately what Scotland are likely to achieve unless a solidly good generation of talent is revealed across all areas of the park, as opposed to some of the obvious haddies starting tonight and mostly dogshit options on the bench too. .

The goalkeeper issue is the prime example of this - after 25 years of very good options, Scotland are now picking between utter turds. That's just how international football works.

Hurts to say it, but that was probably one of the most insipid performances seen in quite some time.  It's fairly obvious we have some serious shortcomings in our squad, but to deliver that kind of effort on the big stage got what it deserved.

I said it in first half and was constantly screaming it second, at some point were we ever going to try and close down on the edge of the box.  The amount of shots they had from all angles because we sat back and admired was frankly criminal.  Also, completely exposed at the lack of right back options, as Ralston was shown up big time.

It's all very well and good saying the games against Switzerland and Hungary are more important, but if you go into them with the confidence already shot, then it's an uphill struggle.

I kind of hope this is the tournament that persuades Clarke to ditch the loyalty to some players and we go into the Nations League/WC qualifiers with a bit of a fresh slate - only problem with that unfortunately is we are a bit lacking in players coming through (always though the point of the Performance Schools/Performance Director was to sort that one out).

Hate feeling negative, and was buzzing ahead of this one, and obviously Germany were extremely impressive, but I've seen us in games where we've played teams far more impressive and given them far better games than what we did tonight, and that pisses me off more than anything.

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Genuinely feel like Ian Wright wants us to do better than Souness. He fucking laps it up. 

At risk of being banned from here, I don’t mind Ian Wright as a pundit. 

He used to be terrible, but has grown more into the role the longer he’s done it. 

1 minute ago, virginton said:

What game plan should have been used against that Germany team this evening: how would it have worked exactly? 

The Euros weren't easier to get to in 2016, when Scotland failed to do so. 

FWIW I'd say that Scotland are currently performing at their expected level - no better, but no worse - which means reaching every other Euros but making up the numbers and hoping to scrape out the group. Taking a bleaching by a big gun is no different to Slovakia taking one by Spain in the last tournament and returning to do... probably not much again this time around. 

That's ultimately what Scotland are likely to achieve unless a solidly good generation of talent is revealed across all areas of the park, as opposed to some of the obvious haddies starting tonight and mostly dogshit options on the bench too. .

The goalkeeper issue is the prime example of this - after 25 years of very good options, Scotland are now picking between utter turds. That's just how international football works.

This, fucking this.

1 minute ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

That Scotland team wouldn't have beaten Morton tonight.  And that's where the nation currently stands in international football.  And the reasons long predate Steve Clarke and his squad.

They would have beaten Morton.

Before the game you're a Negative Norman if you think Germany might win, after it we're the worst team in the world.