Germany - Scotland

Old Bing

1 minute ago, Leith Green said:

We were in the pub last night and as soon as he did it I said "thats a pen" . When it went to slow motion every single one of my group said "thats a red too".

HT in the toilets, there were still guys going "thought it was a solid tackle"......................

The Big Lebowski What GIF by MOODMAN

TBH, I did think he got the ball. Which he did. Then I saw the Kung Fu move on the guy's ankle a millisecond later.

He didn't need to do that. That pic makes it look intentional and he's got form.

A shit performance from virtually all of them though.

11 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

We were in the pub last night and as soon as he did it I said "thats a pen" . When it went to slow motion every single one of my group said "thats a red too".

HT in the toilets, there were still guys going "thought it was a solid tackle"......................

The Big Lebowski What GIF by MOODMAN

From the first angle (from the left touchline) at normal speed it look like he wins the ball - that's why at first I'll put my hands up and didn't think penalty.

It's only when you see the angle from the right hand side in front of the goal (the angle the ref gets)  that you see his left foot connecting with the player's ankle.

I get that it was a desperate attempt to win the ball after Gunn's f**k up but there was no need to go in like he did.  

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

35 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

Are you a child or something? Good analysis of the game right there. 

Mcgregor is nowhere near Lambert level 

Just now, Frank Quitely said:

Correct, and he has O'Riley and Hatate alongside him at club level to bask in their ability.

Playing for Celtic who are the football equivalent of Brock Lesnar, juiced to the gills! 

Bad display from us, too many players not at their best.  The space Gundogan got between the midfield and the defenders was criminal.

Maybe its watching all the hounding Motherwell have had over the years, or maybe its the Euros buzz, but I’m not “humiliated”. 

A few more observations and comments in the light of day.

I thought the whole point of Christie playing over say Gilmour was because he was so important to our press? Toni Kroos had mentioned that we were horrible to play against and that his Real Madrid teammates had prepared him for that pressing style. What happened? We don't need to be pressing everywhere all the time but we barely pressed them once.

Our passing was abysmal, especially in the first half. MacGregor, McGinn, McTominay, Christie and Ralston were all guilty of giving away cheap possession. That's bad enough (and another reason why I think Gilmour should have started) but allied to the pack of press meant crucially we were losing the ball in our own half. Absolutely criminal stuff and it did give the impression we were overly nervous or overawed by the occasion. 

Why was Clarke asked - and then confirmed himself - that 4 points was the target? For someone who as recently as week or so ago was complaining about "negative Normans" why is he writing off the possibility of two wins? Surely something like "we have two games left, we will be looking to win both but after the three games we'll see where we are regarding qualification" or something non-committal? 

8 minutes ago, Ceiling Granny said:

Bad display from us, too many players not at their best.  The space Gundogan got between the midfield and the defenders was criminal.

Maybe its watching all the hounding Motherwell have had over the years, or maybe its the Euros buzz, but I’m not “humiliated”

Years of supporting Ayr United have prepared me for this moment. Not humiliated, not angry, just disappointed. 

I will argue till I'm blue in the face that the only point of a National Anthem is 2024 is to get your Football team hyper before a big game. Highland Cathedral makes ye greet but it won't do that. Lyrics are Tourist Board shite. FofS was written by the famously SNP supporting Corries in 1960. 

As an anthem it does its job perfectly. If you hate it you have a heavy dose of the Scottish Cringe and need to have a word with yourself. 

Anyway *puts away soapbox*. Last night was a chastening. Set up to lose 2-0 and it didn't work. Tournament isn't over for us. Germany looked brilliant. 

Now I've sobered up, I can reflect on last night. We didn't play well and whatever game plan Clarke had was totally and effectively countered by Nagelsmann. Their wide players and Gundogan absolutely ran riot and we had absolutely nothing to counter it.

Glad that's done with, hopefully we now turn up for Hungary and Switzerland.

4 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I thought the whole point of Christie playing over say Gilmour was because he was so important to our press? Toni Kroos had mentioned that we were horrible to play against and that his Real Madrid teammates had prepared him for that pressing style. What happened? We don't need to be pressing everywhere all the time but we barely pressed them once.

Our passing was abysmal, especially in the first half. MacGregor, McGinn, McTominay, Christie and Ralston were all guilty of giving away cheap possession. That's bad enough (and another reason why I think Gilmour should have started) but allied to the pack of press meant crucially we were losing the ball in our own half. Absolutely criminal stuff and it did give the impression we were overly nervous or overawed by the occasion. 

Why was Clarke asked - and then confirmed himself - that 4 points was the target? For someone who as recently as week or so ago was complaining about "negative Normans" why is he writing off the possibility of two wins? Surely something like "we have two games left, we will be looking to win both but after the three games we'll see where we are regarding qualification" or something non-committal? 

I hate to boil it down. Theres too much to go over to do that, but if I had to, i'd say of our performance individually and collectively, that we utterly shat ourselves. 

The thing I can't past is, Toni Kroos is a legend, one of the best midfielders most of us has ever seen. You aren't going to stop him from playing altogether, but theres a vast expanse of middle ground between that, and letting him do exactly what he wants. I mean, for the first goal.... either of two players can step onto him. Aye, he's so good he'll probably evade them or find a team mate, but he doesnt get to line up and execute a crossfield pass to set up a goalscoring move. We didn't only not stop him, we didn't even inconvenience him in his intentions. And we have recent experience of a scarily similar scenario with Modric. We learned nothing. If I was only allowed one sentence in that dressing room before that game, it would have been "do not let Toni Kroos run this game". 

3 minutes ago, Groundhopping Adventures said:

I will argue till I'm blue in the face that the only point of a National Anthem is 2024 is to get your Football team hyper before a big game. Highland Cathedral makes ye greet but it won't do that. Lyrics are Tourist Board shite. FofS was written by the famously SNP supporting Corries in 1960. 

As an anthem it does its job perfectly. If you hate it you have a heavy dose of the Scottish Cringe and need to have a word with yourself. 

Anyway *puts away soapbox*. Last night was a chastening. Set up to lose 2-0 and it didn't work. Tournament isn't over for us. Germany looked brilliant. 

I sometime wonder how often people who don't go to international team sports events sing their national anthem. Most folk probably never have a reason to in their lives. I've never sung GST? and I'm struggling to remember a time when it could have happened anyway. 

16 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

The total lack of pressing was bizarre. Many of our best moments in recent years have come from forcing mistakes high up the pitch, and as you say this is the playing style other teams have come to expect from Scotland. We were literally standing 5 yards off them until they were 30 yards from our goal. I can also barely even recall any actual tackles going in, Porteous' effort aside.

On top of this, the difference in workrate between the 2 sides was glaring. At 4-0 up the likes of Tony Rudiger would have run through brick walls to get the ball back after a move broke down. Scottish players routinely lost the ball then turned their back on play and walked around a bit before jogging casually back. That's unforgiveable and I'm not sure how that can be explained.

3 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

The total lack of pressing was bizarre. Many of our best moments in recent years have come from forcing mistakes high up the pitch, and as you say this is the playing style other teams have come to expect from Scotland. We were literally standing 5 yards off them until they were 30 yards from our goal. I can also barely even recall any actual tackles going in, Porteous' effort aside.

On top of this, the difference in workrate between the 2 sides was glaring. At 4-0 up the likes of Tony Rudiger would have run through brick walls to get the ball back after a move broke down. Scottish players routinely lost the ball then turned their back on play and walked around a bit before jogging casually back. That's unforgiveable and I'm not sure how that can be explained.

The amount of open space between the midfield and the defence (and the midfield to the lone forward) was just ridiculous. You don't need to have a full press but at least make them work when in your half.