Porteous

4 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

Should be on the first flight home tomorrow and play no further part in the tournament.

He’s let us all down.

Aye he should have just allowed them to score a goal.  

You would have started a thread praising him for that no doubt. 

5 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

Instead he decided to be a complete thug and try to end Gundogan’s career, resulting in a completely deserved red card and us conceding 3 more goals. He’s let the country down and should be excluded from selection for a while imo. 

It was a shit challenge, but this is soap opera pish.

It was a horrible tackle and a fully deserved red card but I do think there's no malice in it, he's attempted to block the shot at goal but got it all wrong. That's it. 

His tournament is over now, there's no chance that's not a 2 game ban

Edited by FK1Bairn

He had to make a tackle, not that tackle. He is the only one I know who tackles like that, reckless liability.

Anyone else tries to get a toe on the ball or just block the shot. Two footed, studs up is literally the last option in the box.

I actually like Porteous as a defender and think he is one of our slight better ones but he’s about 90% great defender and 10% mental bam. Sadly yesterday the mental bam showed up. I blame it on him being from Dalkeith tbh. 

To be fair to Porteous it's his first red card since leaving Hibs 2 years ago.

And it's not like he's went out to do someone, it's a desperate lunge to save a certain goal.

It's always stupid when people start saying he's always been shite and they've never liked him when he's been excellent up until one moment of madness.

I don't think anyone would have said he shouldn't start last night and yet all of a sudden he's never been good enough 

3 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

To be fair to Porteous it's his first red card since leaving Hibs 2 years ago.

And it's not like he's went out to do someone, it's a desperate lunge to save a certain goal.

It's always stupid when people start saying he's always been shite and they've never liked him when he's been excellent up until one moment of madness.

I don't think anyone would have said he shouldn't start last night and yet all of a sudden he's never been good enough 

There’d have been folk who didn’t have Porteous in their preferred XI but no one was aghast at him being selected because they’d seen it work before in big games.

Same goes for the Christie over Gilmour thing. Folk just love to play captain hindsight.

What the f**k are people talking about saying he had to make that tackle? It was a fucking horror challenge. 

He’s done it his full career. He clearly went in to do Gundogan which is why as soon as he done it he started rolling kidding on he was injured as well. 

There’s simply no excusing it. 

Porteous is a good footballer but temperament has always been an issue. I’ve always been puzzled by folk who go on the defensive whenever anyone dares to suggest this. He batters into challenges at times where he could just take the ball, which looks great when he wins it but ultimately puts himself in danger for no reason. There’s a reason top centre backs hardly clatter people anymore. 

At first last night I gave him the benefit of the doubt, as it was a last ditch, heat of the moment attempt to prevent a certain goal. After seeing it again it’s fucking brainless. There’s absolutely no need to go in with his left leg like that, he could have blocked the ball without doing it. If it was an opposition player folk would be on here calling them a thug etc. 

Got a bit of sympathy with him. He’s had a split second to react after the rebound from Gunn, Gundogan is stroking it in, and he’s made a desperate, instinctive lunge trying to save a certain goal. 
He’s made a mess of the lunge, and he quite easily could have broke the guys leg. 
But that’s what he does and he’s done that his whole career. He regularly makes desperate, rash, dangerous tackles and his career card count shows this.

He’s not very good but he’s still amongst our best centre halves. Wouldn’t surprise me if he started against Hungary. 

2 minutes ago, Lex said:

But that’s what he does and he’s done that his whole career. He regularly makes desperate, rash, dangerous tackles and his career card count shows this.

Regular would be more than once in 2 years imo

It was a bad challenge and an obvious red card.

The 'he should be sent home and never play for Scotland again' folk are pathetic losers I'm afraid.

3 minutes ago, Cheese said:

It was a bad challenge and an obvious red card.

The 'he should be sent home and never play for Scotland again' folk are pathetic losers I'm afraid.

Not sure anyone said never again but I don’t see why he deserves to play again in this tournament after letting us all down like that 

10 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

That doesn’t make it remotely ok.

We could have gotten out of there with a 0-2 or maybe even a 1-2 and limited the goal difference advantage.

Instead he decided to be a complete thug and try to end Gundogan’s career, resulting in a completely deserved red card and us conceding 3 more goals. He’s let the country down and should be excluded from selection for a while imo. 

What a ridiculous over reaction.

5 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Not sure anyone said never again but I don’t see why he deserves to play again in this tournament after letting us all down like that 

Deserve got nothing to do with it.

He'll serve a suspension and then be available for selection.

10 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

No need to get too emotional over it. Porteous made a mistake, it happens. Unfortunately it's more likely to happen when you are forced to select from players who can't reach the level needed on a consist basis. That's why Porteous is playing for Watford and not Arsenal.

To have a go at the weaker of our players is poor. Same with Gunn, Ralston, Hendry and Hanley. They are all going to make mistakes, that's just life for us as Scotland fans. Expecting as minimum for them to perform at a maximum is unrealistic. 

Edited by 2426255

17 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

If letting people down is your criteria for excluding players for the rest of the tournament, I can’t wait to hear who’s left in for the starting eleven against Switzerland. 

Edited by Mr Heliums

8 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Aye he should have just allowed them to score a goal.  

You would have started a thread praising him for that no doubt. 

There’s a world of difference between letting them score and flying in with both feet off the ground.