Porteous

21 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Bollocks.

The boy miss timed a challenge. Got the ball cleanly with his right but followed through with his left, unintentionally catching Gundogan.

It happens. When you are desperately diving in to stop a certain goal, you give up a bit of control to throw yourself at such pace. 

If he hadn't accidentally caught him with his other leg, we would have praised him for a superb challenge.

Lay off ffs.

The team was all over the place

Could not retain possession ( , why ? ? , ) so it was constantly " defending " and the Germans were really going for it

The type of tackle Porteous committed at Hibs pre-VAR all the time. Developed a reputation amongst other players and managers with good reason. 

It was an absolute cowards tackle from a scared wee boy miles out his depth, designed to hurt, and he deserves all the criticism coming his way. 

He’s also not very good at football. 

6 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

The type of tackle Porteous committed at Hibs pre-VAR all the time. Developed a reputation amongst other players and managers with good reason. 

It was an absolute cowards tackle from a scared wee boy miles out his depth, designed to hurt, and he deserves all the criticism coming his way. 

He’s also not very good at football. 

He wasn't all bad to be fair. He's just a bit inconsistent which is no different to Hanley, Hendry or Ralston and the like. That's why they play at an average teams.

CopyofGERSCO(2).gif.d6993afba535909b88f749dd00f1e729.gif

1 minute ago, 2426255 said:

He wasn't all bad to be fair. He's just a bit inconsistent which is no different to Hanley, Hendry or Ralston and the like. That's why they play at an average teams.

CopyofGERSCO(2).gif.d6993afba535909b88f749dd00f1e729.gif

I don’t rate Hanley, Hendry or Ralston either! Are these honestly the best options we have in this areas? 

12 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

I don’t rate Hanley, Hendry or Ralston either! Are these honestly the best options we have in this areas? 

There is no one who is available that will make those positions in our team significantly better. Same with the goalkeeper. It's just a fact that we have weak areas in our team and with that comes a higher volume of errors. It's just the way it is. It's harsh to criticise the weakest aspects of our team. More than that, our opponents will direct more attacks their way which will make them look even worse. It's a tough one. There's not always a perfect solution, sometimes it's just the best of a few bad solutions.

You can put Ross McCrorie in and he might have a tremendous game and everyone says: 'He's the boy, He's the answer there'. Then 6 months later you are building a picture of his consistency and seeing he can't maintain those levels. That exact scenario has played out with Porteous.

Edited by 2426255

4 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Who else is there? Same all over the pitch. Which qualifying players haven't been included in the squad?

If Porteous had any Old Firm connections, there would be no witch hunt from the Scottish media. They should hang their heads in shame, not Porteous. A young lad playing in the opening game of a major tournament with adrenaline pumping and a shambles all around him, makes a rash challenge! Big deal! Scotland are utter pony and would have got pumped regardless of his actions.

10 minutes ago, Glen Sannox said:

If Porteous had any Old Firm connections, there would be no witch hunt from the Scottish media. They should hang their heads in shame, not Porteous. A young lad playing in the opening game of a major tournament with adrenaline pumping and a shambles all around him, makes a rash challenge! Big deal! Scotland are utter pony and would have got pumped regardless of his actions.

I haven't seen any red top reaction as I pretty much pick up news via social media but haven't noted much in the way of a witch hunt from any links I have seen. If Porteous did have OF connections I would guess that would only magnify any spotlight on him not the other way round.

The tackle was a shocker and you would consider that he still could have cleared it without the two footed follow through. And Porteous is now 25 years old, played in plenty of high profile Scotland games so grasping at straws about him being a young lad over-awed by the big occasion argument. 

Just accept the wild tackle for what it was and the red card being apt - that applies to those clucking like old hens at it as well as those trying to apply context and/or seeking justifying it. 

I have to say what appears to have escaped attention is the fact that Porteous is the first player to be red carded in Steve Clarke's tenure. That's impressive from a discipline standpoint.

8 hours ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Obviously not in the case of Ralston !

But central defence is a problem 

Obviously SC wanted a fit Hanley  If he is not fit for Wednesday it will probably be McKenna. At least he has game time

4 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Fit qualifying player.

Souttar ?

Maybe, but I don't think there's many that could be brought in to replace what's there. Although I think almost any goalkeeper would be better than Gunn.

47 minutes ago, Pocketman said:

I haven't seen any red top reaction as I pretty much pick up news via social media but haven't noted much in the way of a witch hunt from any links I have seen. If Porteous did have OF connections I would guess that would only magnify any spotlight on him not the other way round.

The tackle was a shocker and you would consider that he still could have cleared it without the two footed follow through. And Porteous is now 25 years old, played in plenty of high profile Scotland games so grasping at straws about him being a young lad over-awed by the big occasion argument. 

Just accept the wild tackle for what it was and the red card being apt - that applies to those clucking like old hens at it as well as those trying to apply context and/or seeking justifying it. 

It was more the Radio Scotland response. Willie Miller, Neil McCann and Leanne Chrighton (whoever she is). I never disputed it was a poor challenge, but the Radio Scotland outrage just reminds me of when they hung out to dry, the foreign Hearts player who dived against Scotland.

They would not have the nerve to challenge a player with OF connections.

6 hours ago, Glen Sannox said:

He’s 25 and made his professional debut 8 years ago. 

The last good moment I could find from Porteous. He tracks a player into midfield: balances the numbers and with the help of Adams, Scotland turn the ball over. He was decent off the ball up until the red card incident. Where he disappointed (apart from the red card incident) was his play on the ball. I'll probably put some clips of that up tomorrow.

CopyofGERSCO(2).gif.3012ebe9cf181d6ea3061fa5e8d8b95c.gif