Line up to play Switzerland

3 hours ago, Alan Twelve said:

Aye, I'm being a bit faceitious - other than moving Tierney, there's really nothing in what I've suggested that would necessarilly differ from how we normally play. It's still 5-4-1 out of possession, 4-3-3 in posession. 

Formations and positions are outmoded thinking in today's football. Players have a number of roles they're asked to perform depending on context. It's much more complicated than it used to be.

Aye I remember the old days when players used to stand still on the spot allocated to them.

32 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I understand that sentiment but I’d qualify it.  I think he’s shown that he has the capacity to score goals but he cannot play as an isolated striker.

If Clarke is willing to gamble with a more attacking team and formation from the off and Shankland can get service then it might be the right call.  If Clarke expects him to be able to perform the role that Dykes plays then it’s a waste of time.

Yeah.  That’s fair. 

43 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Aye I remember the old days when players used to stand still on the spot allocated to them.

Aye, the old days when people wouldn't deliberately misinterpret every fucking word you said.

Getting onto the train at Koln Hbf was fucking terrifying. Horrendous organisation and steaming Scotland fans could very nearly have caused something dangerous. And, with more than two hours to go, it still might. 

43 minutes ago, Alan Twelve said:

Aye, the old days when people wouldn't deliberately misinterpret every fucking word you said.

And they were able to recognise someone having a joke rather than take everything seriously.

The good old days.

At least tonight SHOULD be a more enjoyable evening than Saturday.

Tonight I'm in my home, with a Saltire, one of my lads, some cans and a little pre-match optimism.

On Saturday I was watching the game in a pub, with an English "friend" and his wife who is half English and half German. Not ideal...

Just now, Salt n Vinegar said:

At least tonight SHOULD be a more enjoyable evening than Saturday.

Tonight I'm in my home, with a Saltire, one of my lads, some cans and a little pre-match optimism.

On Saturday I was watching the game in a pub, with an English "friend" and his wife who is half English and half German. Not ideal...

You should have watched it with the rest of us on friday, it was worse 

9 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

You should have watched it with the rest of us on friday, it was worse 

Fek. Sorry, we were away with "friends" and I must confess that drink had been taken. And two already tonight, TBH. 

Hope, expectations  optimism were all shot on Frightful Friday, so watching this as a kind of National Service duty. Les than two hours to go and numb rather than nervous. Overriding thoughts don't be embarrassing again, we have pride in our national team and the players should too.

Bottom line is wr have to win thus game. Don't go along with the line of as long as we don't lose it will be a good result.  If we can win, it takes a lot of pressure off the Hungary game.

We really need to be more attacking so hopefully Clarke will play 2 up front. Unfortunately I think Clarke's mentality will be to play for a draw. Just for once Scotland,  just go for it.

3 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Exactly the team I expected and am happy with it.

I hope it's a cr@p game and we win 1-0.

Having said that, I have a whole pound on Scotland 3 Switzerland 1 at 40/1. I am in my 60s, so maybe there's truth in the "no fool like an old fool"...