Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 v 🇭🇺 Hungary

Scary Bear

Willie Miller just now:

“I don't think there should be question marks over Steve Clarke's future. I think he's done a fabulous job with the squad over the years.

We have to remember he's got us qualified for two major tournaments after we hadn't for so long. He's done magnificently well for the country.”

f**k that. It’s such a negative, defeatist mindset to look at things with. We’re a nation of losers.

2 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

24 team Euros has really changed the narrative. We haven't reached the final 16 since 1996. We were in an 8 team Euros in 92 and we were making our as if this would have been a historical achievements. We're just still failing on shifted goalposts. 

Which isn't to say that we haven't been better under Clarke than most others, or that the last couple of qualifying campaigns haven't been better than most other campaigns this century. But it's been a relatively marginal improvement helped by shifted goalposts. 

Yeah I'm loathe to criticise him too much as it's been brutal at times under people like Burley and Levein, but aye, Clarke's really just brought us back to a level where there's a bit of hope, nothing much else. The first half of the qualifying campaign was brilliant, but apart from that yep marginal improvement is probably spot on.

13 minutes ago, Doc Holiday said:

The players are not good enough, just like the last tournament, just like France 98 , nothing has changed.

So who is to blame for this.The players are full time,modern training facilities are top class.Our EPL players are all on big money.So why is our composure,ball control and self confidence so lacking.Nothing does change and that’s unacceptable.

21 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

It was a basketball match by that time.

Adams was feeding off scraps.

Basketball for three games?

We keep a natural high-scoring striker, at all levels, on the bench for almost all of three games, and manage about 5 shots on target in 270 minutes. Sure, things are working tickety boo.

Beginning to think Robertson has a twin brother that he sends to Scotland squads in his stead.

That's the only logical reason I can think for the "delivery expert" suddenly having pillow feet.

21 minutes ago, s_dog said:

Except that we haven't qualified for any tournaments until Clarke came along. Yes he's been too negative tonight, but FFS how quickly can you forgot how much progress there's been under him from where we were? 

Tbf if that's his ongoing justification - how many previous managers had 23 or 24 places to aim for, with top 2s qualifying automatically plus a sort of "repechage" for 3 or 4 more places some of which are ringfenced for lower brackets?

e.g. we qualified for Euro 2020 despite finishing 3rd in qualifying: since we'd finished above Israel + Albania in Nations League then beat Israel + Serbia on penalties.

He's absolutely improved us but it's equally fair to say we should always be aiming to qualify for Euros when near enough half the continent gets in: the goal should be reaching the knockouts given two-thirds of finalists do and 3rd place gets out of most groups.

We've twice finished on 1pt with bad GF v GA. Totally legitimate to question his continuing trajectory.

12 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

I'm still stumped as to why an Argentinian referee was officiating a European game, I find a wee bit consolation in it wiz awe his fault  😂😂😂

He's an exchange student for some muppet from Italy who's doing the Copa

Think this is bad? The Nations League is going to be fucking embarrassing. Real quality teams ripping the pure shite out of us.

Our game is rotten from the base upwards. Clarke can only piss with the cock he's been given, though he could rub it a bit and maybe piss over slightly higher walls.

I really don't think anyone else would get much more out of the mediocre talent we have produced in this country.

1 minute ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

I'm still stumped as to why an Argentinian referee was officiating a European game, I find a wee bit consolation in it wiz awe his fault  😂😂😂

Just a hands across the ocean bit with the Copa America, that has an Italian calling some matches.

As for the debates, there simply needs to be a fundamental change in the way the game is approached. Better development of youth players would help, the current schemes don’t do it well, but that would take money that simply isn’t present in the Scottish game. So there are players worldwide that could play for Scotland, but they really haven’t been recruited (or even searched) outside of England. Look at the Hungarians, plucking an Englishman out of nowhere because of a story in a club program. There are certainly more players than the three or four currently playing overseas that Clarke included, and the relative size and strength of the English League contingent just highlights the weakness of the Scottish Premiership in terms of developing players.

Until the SFA and SPFL get the money issues fixed, the current TV contracts are pitiful, and evens the playing field to improve player development, this “plucky underdog” story will remain a replay of Groundhog Day in major tournaments.

Its been said before, but a switch to Summer football would perhaps help define a more skillful game.

2 minutes ago, Buccanarab said:

Beginning to think Robertson has a twin brother that he sends to Scotland squads in his stead.

That's the only logical reason I can think for the "delivery expert" suddenly having pillow feet.

You've failed to allow for the Austin McPhee factor with Scotland.

For 2026, we should accept the fact Tierney cannot be relied upon, bin the system designed to shoehorn him and Robertson into the starting eleven, and build the team around Ferguson and Gilmour. The former will be a Juventus player soon after he is back to fitness, yet the bald fraud refused to start the best midfielder in Italy prior to injury - quite incredible, frankly. McTominay can be played up front if need be. We need to hope that Doak becomes the player we all want him to be, and the likes of Conway and others continue to progress and break through. We need Doig to kick on in Serie A as a long-term replacement to Robertson. Hickey should play for one of the bigger clubs in Europe before too long, so we could have two excellent full backs for the best part of the next decade. Oh, if a couple of centre backs and a new net tender could materialise, that would also be ideal.

We won't, though, and it will be a wasted campaign.

Edited by Elixir

The ref was crazy - yes, he booked a few Magyars but he gave them umpteen soft free kicks.

All the same, we'd still have lost the game if Steve Clarke's mither had been refereeing.

17 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Clarke was also asking why an Argentinian was in charge of a euros competition.

6 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

24 team Euros has really changed the narrative. We haven't reached the final 16 since 1996. We were in an 8 team Euros in 92 and we were making our as if this would have been a historical achievements. We're just still failing on shifted goalposts. 

Which isn't to say that we haven't been better under Clarke than most others, or that the last couple of qualifying campaigns haven't been better than most other campaigns this century. But it's been a relatively marginal improvement helped by shifted goalposts. 

Yeah, but membership of UEFA has risen from 31 to 55 since the 90s. 1 good USSR team has become umpteen different sides, 4 or 5 of which are very good in their own right. Yugoslavia are now Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia, Slovenia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Macedonia, none of whom are pushovers. So yeah, there are more spots available but there’s far more competition for them.