Next permanent manager of the Conservative and Unionist Party 2024

Who will be the next Tory leader?  

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Badenoch making a barely concealed pitch for the anti islam vote in the Telegraph 

"We cannot be naïve and assume immigrants will automatically abandon ancestral ethnic hostilities at the border, or that all cultures are equally valid. They are not.

"I am struck for example, by the number of recent immigrants to the UK who hate Israel. That sentiment has no place here.”

In case it's not clear what ancestral hostilities she means, her website clarifies that opposition to colonial genocide is" sectarian Islamist politics"

And it is why when everyone was talking about the five new MPs from Reform, I was far more worried about the five new MPs elected on the back of sectarian Islamist politics; alien ideas that have no place here.

10 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Badenoch making a barely concealed pitch for the anti islam vote in the Telegraph 

"We cannot be naïve and assume immigrants will automatically abandon ancestral ethnic hostilities at the border, or that all cultures are equally valid. They are not.

"I am struck for example, by the number of recent immigrants to the UK who hate Israel. That sentiment has no place here.”

In case it's not clear what ancestral hostilities she means, her website clarifies that opposition to colonial genocide is" sectarian Islamist politics"

And it is why when everyone was talking about the five new MPs from Reform, I was far more worried about the five new MPs elected on the back of sectarian Islamist politics; alien ideas that have no place here.

What I don't get about that stuff is there isn't really a constituency for this sort of faux-intellectualised approach to culture war - maybe a a few thousand angry wee internet guys who've been negatively polarized since Covid like Elixir on here, who aren't going to be politically organising anything when they can just constantly refresh their Twitter feeds, and are equally culturally antagonistic towards "Tories!" Your guys with a petrol bomb in Middlesborough don't really care about justifying their position in those terms; and your retired army major types won't like that she is black. So you'd be left with having her to represent the Telegraph editorial board; Starmer the Times, fighting over the middle ground (the editors of the Daily Mail, Daily Express and Sun)

4 minutes ago, GHF-23 said:

What I don't get about that stuff is there isn't really a constituency for this sort of faux-intellectualised approach to culture war - maybe a a few thousand angry wee internet guys who've been negatively polarized since Covid like Elixir on here, who aren't going to be politically organising anything when they can just constantly refresh their Twitter feeds, and are equally culturally antagonistic towards "Tories!" Your guys with a petrol bomb in Middlesborough don't really care about justifying their position in those terms; and your retired army major types won't like that she is black. So you'd be left with having her to represent the Telegraph editorial board; Starmer the Times, fighting over the middle ground (the editors of the Daily Mail, Daily Express and Sun)

Either it's a principled position and she's a genuine bigot with weird views about what "British culture" is who genuinely dislikes muslims and genuinely supports genocide. 

Or

She's one of those twitter types who thinks that what they experience and say on twitter is relevant to normal people. 

Effectively saying that it's un-British to hold a negative opinion of the Israeli state and their actions is just too on the nose for me I'm afraid, although fair play to her for saying the quiet bits out loud I guess.

The only thing to be said for Badenoch is she doesn't promise everything to keep the support of loony ERG types in the party, she dumped Rees Mogg's bill to revoke all EU regulations enshrined in UK legislation and refuses to endorse leaving the ECHR. Which is probably the main reason why Robert Jenrick will win the members vote, skin colour no doubt being a factor too.

This thing about hout immigrants ought to love Britain is very strange, since what that really means is the British state and official institutions.  About half of Scotland, half of Northern Ireland and a pretty significant minority of Wales are actively opposed to those things to varying and often pretty strong degrees and - with the exception of the harder edge of that in NI - those are entirely mainstream and legitimate political positions.  Some p***k or other will pop up now and then to claim that Scottish nationalism is in and of itself extremist, but almost nobody actually believes that. 

10 minutes ago, A Diamond For Me said:

This thing about hout immigrants ought to love Britain is very strange, since what that really means is the British state and official institutions.  About half of Scotland, half of Northern Ireland and a pretty significant minority of Wales are actively opposed to those things to varying and often pretty strong degrees and - with the exception of the harder edge of that in NI - those are entirely mainstream and legitimate political positions.  Some p***k or other will pop up now and then to claim that Scottish nationalism is in and of itself extremist, but almost nobody actually believes that. 

It's even stranger to insist that what immigrants should love about Britain is Israel.. 

10 minutes ago, coprolite said:

It's even stranger to insist that what immigrants should love about Britain is Israel.. 

The British Israelites would disagree.

The British royal family is of lineal descent from the house of King David via a daughter of Zedekiah, the last king of Judah. According to this legend, the prophet Jeremiah, and his scribe, Baruch, escaped with "the king's daughters" (Jer. 41:10; 43:6) to Egypt. They later travelled to Ireland, where one of the surviving Judahite princesses, Tea Tephi, married a local High King of Ireland. From this fabled union the Davidic throne was supposedly preserved, having been transferred to Ireland, then Scotland and later England, whence the British monarchs are alleged to have descended. The Stone of Scone, which has been used in the coronations of Scottish, English and British monarchs for centuries, is traditionally claimed to be the pillow stone on which the biblical patriarch, Jacob, slept, and the stone used in David's coronation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Israelism

During the time Kemi Badenoch is thinking of, she would be at home making her husband's dinner and raising the kids. So what's she doing in Parliament then if these are genuinely-held viewpoints? 

An utter crank of a woman. 

Politicians harking back to ‘the good old times’ does my f**king head in, as they weren’t ‘good’ particularly for women.

The only people this appeals to are old c***s looking at the past through rose coloured glasses and wishing they were young again.

No one over 65 should be allowed to vote.

3 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

I see Penny Mordaunt is still the favourite in the P&B poll.

She's got as much chance as Yogi Hughes I guess.

She would probably have walked the leadership election if she hadn't lost her seat.

40 minutes ago, Michael W said:

During the time Kemi Badenoch is thinking of, she would be at home making her husband's dinner and raising the kids. So what's she doing in Parliament then if these are genuinely-held viewpoints? 

An utter crank of a woman. 

Again kemi is weirdly interesting/illustrative on this, like who are the Tories for now? I'm politically fairly informed and have some strongly held beliefs so I'm not going to vote for them regardless.

But my wife and I are in our early 30s, we're both earning a decent amount and are upwardly mobile/comfortable. We've just bought our first home and are considering having children in the next couple of years. Surely we're the sort of demographic anyone wanting to lead the Tories back to power should be trying to lock in as the next generation of reliable Tory voter. But no, because they would rather appeal to a dying generation in the home counties who thinks anyone under the age of 50 is woke and gay the great thinker of this current crop is distancing herself from young people altogether. Unless those young people are ones who already feel betrayed by the Tories after Brexit and want to set their shit hole town in Teeside on fire because there's brown people in the Travelodge.

At least the head bangers on the American right combine this sort of chat with an idea that it's a bit mental the outcome of the feminist movement and equal work is that 2 people have to work full time in order to support a family. Our equivalent is the classic British "it's shit, it's meant to be shit and if you don't like it f**k off"

Just another example of traditional political parties of the right now being unable to square the fundamental contradictions of neoliberalism.

What's the answer to declining 'native' birth rates ?

Make it more difficult to afford children obviously.